Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Encrypting data disk on Ubuntu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Encrypting data disk on Ubuntu

I am working on a project where I need to encrypt the "data at rest" that resides on the data disk of the VM we are running. The problem is that onapp does not support full disk encryption so we need to use something like LUKS or another OS level options for encrypting the data.

Does any one have any experience of getting this to work I have followed a number of guides (https://davidyat.es/2015/04/03/encrypting-a-second-hard-drive-on-ubuntu-14-10-post-install/) and can encrypt the disk but can never get the disk to start at boot up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• You'd need to enter a passphrase when you want to mount the disk. If you want it to be automounted at startup you can use a key, but if that key is stored in your unencrypted partition, your encryption will be pointless.

You'll have to interact somehow at boot time to 'cryptsetup luksOpen' this partition...

Thanked by 1ollietrex