Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is port speed and bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is port speed and bandwidth?

ykbaekykbaek Member
edited May 2013 in General

i get confused,, tried to google it but cant find it
vps says 100mbps port speed
web hosting says 1000mbps bandwidth speed
what is the difference?
does it mean, vps i use 100mbps myself and
hosting i share 1000mbps with others?

also is there a big difference between 10mbps and 100mbps?
because some vps offer 10mbps and others offer 100mbps and even 1000mbps
but the prices are the same,, so i am confused here too
they are like 100x difference yet the prices are very similar.. isnt it normal that someone would choose
1000mpbs over 10mbps? and why would some companies sell vps with 10mbps if others are offering 100 and 1000 at a similar price..
maybe it doesnt mean much?? confused... :(

Comments

• It's basically the internet speed. 100mbps = 100 megabits per second for downloading/uploading. You should remember that this is not a guaranteed speed most of the times so you can't expect exactly 100mbps for example.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@ykbaek said: what is the difference?

Very little; either way you're sharing the connection with everyone else on that physical server.

@ykbaek said: also is there a big difference between 10mbps and 100mbps?

Yes and no, depends what you're using the server for.

If you're hosting a small blog that doesn't get many hits, I doubt you'd notice the difference in port speeds. However if you're transferring large files between servers it can be the difference between a 1 hour job and a 10 hour job.

Generally speaking however, 100mbps seems to be the standard (or minimum expected) speed on VPSs these days - More than enough for most uses.

@ykbaek said: and why would some companies sell vps with 10mbps if others are offering 100 and 1000 at a similar price..

Let's say provider A is offering 300GB bandwidth/month with a 1000mbps port - If you were to use exactly your allotted amount and average it out precisely over the month, you'd be using roughly 1mbps

That should put it into perspective on how providers are capable of overselling (not overloading) their bandwidth as it's very rarely fully utilised.
    In addition, if you have a peak through a provider's terms of service it usually forbids fully loading any resource for a significant period of time.

Hopefully that made sense. I'm sitting here at 00:22, slightly sleepy but with toast. Good times.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Two typical port speeds these days are 100mbps and 1000mbps (also known as 1gbps or "gigabit").
    100mbps is fine for almost everything, however if a VPS node or hosting server has many customers on it, a gigabit port will make sure your web app, website, forum, game, etc. can still get the bandwidth it needs.

Also keep in mind that there are 8 bits/byte.
    So 1MB/s (aka 1MBps) = 8Mb/s (aka 8Mbps)

• Don't worry about it. Most websites use barely any bandwidth. If you were running websites that used lots and lots of bandwidth you'd know about it.

• ask your students for a green jhonny walker and give them a 100