Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Litespeed web server goes open source with OpenLiteSpeed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Litespeed web server goes open source with OpenLiteSpeed

eva2000eva2000 Veteran
edited May 2013 in General

Looks like Litespeed web server is releasing an open source free version called OpenLiteSpeed http://www.litespeedtech.com/latest/announcing-the-release-of-openlitespeed.html

Screenshots for admin control panel for folks not familiar with Litespeed Enterprise's GUI based control panel posted at http://vbtechsupport.com/2165/

Will be interesting to see how OpenLiteSpeed fairs :)

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Oh! Yes! That could be interesting!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yes! Now what's the catch...
    Do I have to be a programmer and rewrite it to use more than half a core? :P

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

OpenLiteSpeed allows worker processes in order to scale to multiple processors.

well that's what the official site says heh

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2013

This is nice! A client of mine runs Litespeed in front of Passenger for a few Django applications, and hell that shit is good, fast, and apache compatible... Maybe I can deploy it to some LEB's now :D

• Im not sure I see the benefit of this over Nginx as it loses the apache compatibility

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We recently deployed LiteSpeed to stop the layer 7 attacks we were getting and it worked amazingly. I really hate LiteSpeed's TOS though where they tell you what kinds of sites you can and can't run on a webserver that you are paying for. Hopefully their open source version is less restrictive.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Indeed looking forward to testing PHP performance, as Litespeed LSAPI PHP very very very scalable in terms of PHP performance under high concurrency PHP loads i.e. >13,000 PHP requests/s (Litespeed Enterprise web server)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@ShardHost said: Im not sure I see the benefit of this over Nginx as it loses the apache compatibility

OpenLiteSpeed fully supports Apache rewrite syntax just not via .htaccess files it seems. Admin control panel for vhost has a rewrite tab so I guess .htaccess contents goes there.

• Would it be hard to implement .htaccess rewrites into this? I doubt it.

• @ShartHost said: Im not sure I see the benefit of this over Nginx as it loses the apache compatibility

Ease of use.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    Hosting control panel compatibility, mod_security compatibility, .htaccess file compatibility, and page caching will remain commercial-only.
  • RalliasRallias Member

@KuJoe said: Hopefully their open source version is less restrictive.

GPL v3.

I aught to bring the apache compatibility back in.

• marcmmarcm Member

They are a dollar short and a day late. Considering their pricing, TOS and features, thanks, but no thanks!

• @peppr said: Hosting control panel compatibility, mod_security compatibility, .htaccess file compatibility, and page caching will remain commercial-only.

So they just release nginx renamed?

• marcmmarcm Member

@BronzeByte said: So they just release nginx renamed?

@BronzeByte - It's not based on Nginx in any way, shape or form, but I guess you meant it like "it's similar to Nginx". Honestly, I wish them the best, however I won't be giving up on Nginx any time soon because of this.

• yomeroyomero Member

Waiting for the benchmarks, memory usage, etc :P

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited May 2013

@marcm said: It's not based on Nginx in any way, shape or form, but I guess you meant it like "it's similar to Nginx". Honestly, I wish them the best, however I won't be giving up on Nginx any time soon because of this.

@yomero said: Waiting for the benchmarks, memory usage, etc :P

Nginx has been open source all the time, can't be better or worse really, same story as with MySQL and mongo

• Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    edited May 2013

Erm, yea. Panel dont work properly.

Trying to create a php configuration using the template and when on

Are you sure you want to instantiate this virtual host?
    Yes Cancel

Click yes > white page

With a lovely
    PHP Warning: Invalid argum/html.open/classes/DUtil.php on line 219
    PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function HasVal() on a non-object in /usr/local/lsws/admin/html.open/classes/ows/ConfCenter.php on line 910

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The LiteSpeed TOS was the only thing I liked about LiteSpeed...

• dAgentdAgent Member

@raindog308 said: The LiteSpeed TOS was the only thing I liked about LiteSpeed

You mean you liked that they could disallow you using software you paid for if they don't like what you are hosting?

• AmitzAmitz Member

I only liked their TOS because it made the decision easy: I could not use it for my sites and therefore did not have to buy it. Happy with nginx since then...

Thanked by 1pike
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2013

Kind of curious to see how this turns out. I do have to admit, I did not expect this.

• hmm this got my attention.

• marcmmarcm Member

@joepie91 - Looking at the source code, what can you tell us?

• 24khost24khost Member

now that they have done this, how long before someone creates a cpanel addon with the opensource version.

• Has anyone had luck getting it to run? I just tried a ./configure && make -j4 && make install but it looks like they're compiling a custom version of php in there that needed something, I'll try again later.

• Works out of the box for me on Centos 6 32-bit.

• Indeed, I just tested it out on a bone stock CentOS 6 32-bit image and it installs great. Must be a missing debian/ubuntu package they haven't outlined.

• rolz14rolz14 Member

My first attempt on debian failed because it attempted to use curl to download PHP, just installed curl and it seemed to have worked.

• @rolz14 said: My first attempt on debian failed because it attempted to use curl to download PHP, just installed curl and it seemed to have worked.

Did it actually start up? Mine looked like it installed, but I looked back up and php had complained at something, so the whole install didn't complete properly and it wouldn't start because a bunch of stuff was broken. This was on a couple 12.04 boxes.