Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request: London Dedicated Quad Core DB Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request: London Dedicated Quad Core DB Server

GZSGZS Member
edited January 2017 in Requests

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a fairly high end, dedicated server in the UK (I prefer London) with at least 5TB/month of bandwidth to use as a MySQL server. I will need fast cores as the queries may sometimes be blocking for the remote servers accessing this one and the data set is large. Currently I am using a Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz and am looking for another one or something similar.

Number of Cores: 4 Physical, 8 Virtual (@ 3.3GHz or higher)
RAM: 6GB+ (Minimum 6GB, 8 Preferred)
Disk Space: 50GB+
Disk Type: SSD

Bandwidth: 5TB+
Port Speed: 50Mb/s+

DDoS Protection: Yes

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: TBD, likely 30-60USD/m

Billing period: Monthly/Quarterly

Does anyone have anything that might fit my needs? I know this price range is easy to achieve in the USA (I pay $30USD/Mo for my current one) however I am unsure of the prices in the UK currently. I was with xensmart however their prices have become quite expensive as I have upgraded the server and it is time to swap over to a dedicated box.

Comments

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@cloudvider They are pretty good.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We could help with E3-1270V5, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, 240 GB SSD, DDoS protection by Tier-1 carrier, NTT, 10TB over 1Gbit/a for £59/mo (excl. VAT) if applicable. That's in London, UK. Do let me know if interested :-).

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @cloudvider They are pretty good.

Thanks for recommending !

• why is your pricing always Excluding VAT?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    why is your pricing always Excluding VAT?

most probably because VAT may differ due to EU regulations...

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Drop @infinity a PM, reckon he might be able to help.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: why is your pricing always Excluding VAT?

Because he does not want to have to write 27 different prices (understandable), VAT is based on your own member state and the OP may be in the USA, China, Canada etc so may not be liable for VAT anyway.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@GZS said:

Hello there,

You can take a look at our plans and pricing here: https://www.hetnix.com/dedicated-servers.xml .
    If you click on the "Order now" button, it will let you choose the datacenter you want your server to be located in.

Thank you.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

If you can deal with wannabe, fake London (Maidenhead) then @VortexMagmus - or if you don't mind heading north a lot, then @NorthHosts

Thanked by 1northhosts
  • GZS said: with at least 5TB/month of bandwidth to use as a MySQL server. I will need fast cores as the queries may sometimes be blocking for the remote servers accessing this one and the data set is large.

You might do better to put your client servers in the same DC as the sql server, for lower latency and usually unlimited LAN bandwidth.

• Falzo said: most probably because VAT may differ due to EU regulations...

you can get past that to a degree, some german companies advertise VAT included price and adjust it at checkout subject to the correct fee.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Falzo said: most probably because VAT may differ due to EU regulations...

you can get past that to a degree, some german companies advertise VAT included price and adjust it at checkout subject to the correct fee.

Sure. didn't say that's not possible ;-)

edited January 2017

@Falzo said:

@TarZZ92 said:

Falzo said: most probably because VAT may differ due to EU regulations...

Sure. didn't say that's not possible ;-)

Possible or not, we cater for businesses mainly, who are not interested in VAT inclusive total. Our total for business on VAT is vastly different to a company charing the same who is not paying VAT. It's also completely different for an out of EU private Client or business who is simply out of scope for VAT.

@TarZZ92 you seem to be the only person here that voices concerns about this normal practice. If you need assistance calculating the total inclusive of VAT at your local rate I recommend using http://www.vatcalculator.co.uk. If you have an issue with the way we present our offers I invite you to raise your concerns with the moderation team via the LET helpdesk.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Clouvider said: you seem to be the only person here that voices concerns about this normal practice

and it seems to be mostly uk companies mostly who do this practice.. who are quite uncompetitive to say the least. compared to some well known german ones.

edited January 2017

@TarZZ92 said:

Clouvider said: you seem to be the only person here that voices concerns about this normal practice

and it seems to be mostly uk companies mostly who do this practice.. who are quite uncompetitive to say the least. compared to some well known german ones.

??

I don't see how this is related, but ok.

• GZSGZS Member

willie said: You might do better to put your client servers in the same DC as the sql server, for lower latency and usually unlimited LAN bandwidth.

Ideally that would be the case, however I intend for this server to be the MySQL DB server for the whole of western Europe

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Hi,

Can do you a E3-1270v5, 16GB DDR4, 1 x 240GB SSD, 10TB @ 1Gbps for £50 excluding VAT (if applicable) - this is hosted in London Docklands.

• Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone,

Our communities latest fund-raising drive was something of a minor disaster for us.
    In the end no one ended up donating which is a little bit disappointing.

In short I have to adjust the original budget down quite a bit to around $30-35USD/mo.

What kind of options would be available to me at this price point? I am still hoping to get a fairly powerful machine however it probably wont be able to be latest gen, high disk space, etc I assume?

• GZS said:

Ideally that would be the case, however I intend for this server to be the MySQL DB server for the whole of western Europe

In this case why do you care where it is? And what will the query load be like? Network latency may be more of an issue than throughput. If France is ok then there are still some Online promo servers:

https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

Thanked by 1GZS

@GZS said:
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone,

Our communities latest fund-raising drive was something of a minor disaster for us.
    In the end no one ended up donating which is a little bit disappointing.

In short I have to adjust the original budget down quite a bit to around $30-35USD/mo.

What kind of options would be available to me at this price point? I am still hoping to get a fairly powerful machine however it probably wont be able to be latest gen, high disk space, etc I assume?

You're looking at a VPS with a good provider as your best bet.

@northhosts could probably give you an offer on something older, but I doubt that will be in 30 USD range.

You simply cannot ask the provider to fund your business.

Thanked by 1northhosts
  • I have to wonder what the application is, serving 5TB of SQL queries all over Europe on such a low budget.

Thanked by 2Clouvider WSS
  • willie said: And what will the query load be like?

Currently I am working on rewriting code to minimize the number of queries hitting the DB server. Its probable that the load will be lower than I initially calculated as I have offloaded many calculations away from the query itself.

• Clouvider said: You're looking at a VPS with a good provider as your best bet.

Yeah I think that may be a better idea. I have only used dedicated servers for the database in the past.

Clouvider said: You simply cannot ask the provider to fund your business.

While this is true I have managed to find dedicated hardware in the USA at the lower end of the price point, albeit several years old. Our US DB server runs on a 3.9GHz Haswell HT Xeon with 10TB/mo, 8GB RAM, etc. Personally I would guess that anything Sandy Bridge and above would probably work just fine?

• willie said: If France is ok then there are still some Online promo servers:

https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

Thank you very much, this appears to be more in line with what I am looking for.

• The other alternative in that price class is Hetzner auctions:

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/UK

That's the UK page, pick appropriate country if you're somewhere else, since VAT is included and varies between countries.

If you can say what the application is, people here might have some thoughts about how to decrease the server requirements.

• willie said: If you can say what the application is, people here might have some thoughts about how to decrease the server requirements.

Yes fair enough, I am running a ranking system for my CS:GO network. Each time a player is killed in the game both the killed player and their attackers ranks need to be updated. This is done in the background through the DB and through threads the output is displayed to all the users. Recently (thanks to the majors) the network has seen an increase in traffic to around 10,000 players a day peaking at around 5300 man hours a day of total play time and the database servers have been struggling. Currently all the servers for this are hosted in the USA which causes the game to stutter a bit for European players at the end of each round while the events of said round are sent to the database.

My only real options are to have a server in Europe for the database or stop recording player ranks, kills and deaths.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Maybe think of using redis or pedis instead of mysql? 10k players with a few stats for each one actually isn't much, and it doesn't sound like you have complicated sql-like queries. What's the max # of users connected at any moment, that will need simultaneous updates? You can do Redis master-slave replication to fan out the updates to different groups of clients from different servers too. A few small to midsized vps might work out better than a single big dedi.

• Peaks around 500 concurrent users so we are talking around 100 queries a second. The total user base is ~400,000 users.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Oh cool, 500 connections isn't bad at all, and 400k users with 1k of data each is 400MB, which is almost nothing these days in terms of ram. Do you control the client code, either with a download or with browser script? Redis supports publish/subscribe so you don't have to keep sending queries or opening new connections. Just keep a connection open and the server pushes updates to the clients as they appear.

OVH has a free Redis AAS beta:

https://www.runabove.com/SaaSDBRedis.xml

• I have coded it using the sourcemod framework by hooking the specific events and sending the event data to the server, as far as I can tell it only works with SQLite and MySQL :(