Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick Question

I am trying out a VDedi from SpeedyKVM and I am trying to install a 64 bit guest on virtual box but I only see 32 bit options. I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly, KVM hosts would have virtualization available?

I don't see any settings for such in the Solus panel for it. Am I SOL or missing something simple?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

KVM is already virtualized. Depending on the CPU given to them, they may offer sub-virtualization, but there is no guarantee unless they actually tell you so.

Check your /proc/cpuinfo and if it's 64 bit, do a net install of whatever the hell you want via PXE.

• @WSS said:
    KVM is already virtualized. Depending on the CPU given to them, they may offer sub-virtualization, but there is no guarantee unless they actually tell you so.

Check your /proc/cpuinfo and if it's 64 bit, do a net install of whatever the hell you want via PXE.

Sorry I don't think I was clear, my apologies! I have been migrating data and part of that is a virtual box vm that I am transferring over to the new machine. The virtual box vm is a 64bit image and I get an error when attempting to run it on the speedykvm machine's virtual box install saying that is missing virtualization support.

Furthermore when I attempt to create a new vm on the kvm host I only have 32bit option in virtual box.

So I am wondering if it is a limitation of the kvm host or if I am missing a setting/driver/etc. Basically can it be done or not?

Hope that was clear as mud!

• WSSWSS Member

Do you have direct access/root to the kvm host?

• No, I am renting the machine. I have no access to the host.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

If the CPU show quemu inside of the VPS, huge chance that VirtualBox will cry.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

Really, your best bet is opening a ticket. Without vmx or smx showing under your [host] cpu flags- you're basically fucked.

• rooterrooter Member
    edited January 2017

If the CPU show quemu inside of the VPS, huge chance that VirtualBox will cry.

That's what I was afraid of, here is the cpuinfo:

root@dedi:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 13
    model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    stepping : 3
    microcode : 0x1
    cpu MHz : 3192.746
    cache size : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 1
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 1
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 4
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm nopl pni cx16 hypervisor lahf_lm
    bogomips : 6385.49
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• WSSWSS Member

You're inside your VCPU which isn't exposing the host CPU. Open a ticket.

• @WSS said:
    You're inside your VCPU which isn't exposing the host CPU. Open a ticket.

Ok, what should I ask for? Host-pass through?

• WSSWSS Member

Tell them you are trying to run your own virtualization and you need the CPU exposed. Expect to be asked to pay more and/or go away.

• @WSS said:
    Tell them you are trying to run your own virtualization and you need the CPU exposed. Expect to be asked to pay more and/or go away.

Got it, thanks. Worth a shot, not going to be able to use it unless I can get it working.

• New "i have been wabled" thread in 3 2 1

• No, I was well aware and usually don't require any assistance, at least I haven't in a while. Worst case scenario they tell me the can't do it or worse I learned some things I didn't know before.

At least that's how I am looking at it :-)

• @teamacc said:
    New "i have been wabled" thread in 3 2 1

Coffee on the floor again! Gotta love LET!

• @rooter said:
    No, I was well aware and usually don't require any assistance, at least I haven't in a while. Worst case scenario they tell me the can't do it or worse I learned some things I didn't know before.

At least that's how I am looking at it :-)

"being wabled" does not mean "support refused to assist me".

It means "support thought my question was stupid/thought i asked too many questions in a too short timespan" "and now my service is disabled/deleted and i've been refunded"

Credit where credit is due though: "being wabled" ALWAYS gets you your money back afaik. (unless you obviously abuse the service)

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2017

Since it's a V-DEDI and they claim it's only 1 virtual machine per node, they shouldn't have any problem enabling host pass-through for you since you're the only one on the bare metal.

Unless you aren't and well, that's a different story.

• WSSWSS Member

Wait.. there are hosts who still get sick of your shit AND give you your money back to go away!?

• @Ishaq said:
    Since it's a V-DEDI and they claim it's only 1 virtual machine per node, they shouldn't have any problem enabling host pass-through for you since you're the only one on the bare metal.

Unless you aren't and well, that's a different story.

Yes they have enabled host-pass through and I now see the actual CPU in cpuinfo but there is still no virtualization flags :-/

They replied they will look into it for me and I am waiting to hear back. I am thinking it will be tomorrow since it's the weekend.

Fwiw I was polite and courteous in the ticket and they were also. Not that that will change anyone's opinion!

Does anyone have any idea why the vmx flag would not show after enabling host-passthrough?

Thanks!

• WSSWSS Member

There is a specific -enable-kvm command line option with -cpu host. I do it by hand, but there's probably a checkbox on whatever they're using.

Thanked by 1rooter
  • @rooter

The flags are probably stripped. Ask them to set the CPU model to "exact".

They can also edit the XML definition and "require" vmx in the CPU section as such:

<feature policy='require' name='vmx'/>

Thanked by 2WSS rooter