Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Master VPS Required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Master VPS Required

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited May 2013 in Providers

Hello,

We will shortly be moving away from VirtPanel, and to SolusVM. Therefore, we are looking for a VPS for our SolusVM master. Our VPS's are located in Columbus, OH so a VPS reasonably close to that location would be a plus, however that is not a must. It would just be quicker for transferring stuff (such as template syncing).

We don't have our SolusVM licenses yet, and will most likely be getting those from either BuycPanel or LicensePal, however we are also open to suggestions on those.

The VPS is the main thing required though.

Requirements:

RAM: 256MB minimum (512MB ideal, however 1GB would allow for expansion!), however should easily be upgradable if required
Hard Disk: 20GB should be fine to start off with, however should easily be upgradable if required
Bandwidth: 100GB+, however should easily be upgradable if required

Thanks, and we look forward to reviewing your offers.

Comments

• BradNDBradND Member
    edited May 2013

4 Cores E5-2620
    1GB Dedicated ram
    50GB Raid 10
    1TB BW
    2x1GBit LACP
    Germany (LA is available but disk will be much more expensive due to SAS drives)
    $6.95/mo

• twaintwain Member

Why not just get one of the Ramnode SOMUCHDRAMA deals

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: It would just be quicker for transferring stuff (such as template syncing).

Don't sync templates, it's a waste of space, just either create a centralized template storage using NFS or whatever or just use dummy files on the master and download/sync on the nodes.

LicensePal are reliable for the licenses.

24KHost might be able to help you in Indiana, and there are plenty of Pennsylvania or even Buffalo VPS's. They should be close enough.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@twain said: Why not just get one of the Ramnode SOMUCHDRAMA deals

I have seen that, but this thread is purely for providers to post their offers. There's more than 1 provider out there, and we're open to offers. :) I like to consider all offers available. I will do my research as well, ofc.

@Infinity said: Don't sync templates, it's a waste of space, just either create a centralized template storage using NFS or whatever or just use dummy files on the master and download/sync on the nodes.

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

I think my SSD2 plan would work perfect for you from our latest LEB offer:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/fliphost-24year-256mb-ssd-openvz-vps-storage-in-dallas-texas/

4 CPU Cores
    1024MB RAM
    512MB vSwap
    20GB SSD Disk
    1500GB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Port
    1 IPv4 Address
    OpenVZ/SolusVM
    Code: LEB
    $7/Month

Servers that it would be on Have uptime of 110 days+ and are running ksplice ensuring the nodes will not go down for kernel updates.

This also includes:

Full Backups are taken every 6 hours (Self Restore) (kb). http://sales.fliphost.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=48
    Offloaded SQL can be requested via ticket.
    Anycast DNS management (Rage4) is also available for customers.

If you have any questions at all just let me know. :)

-Alex

• Unrelated to this topic, where are your VPSes at in Columbus, Ohio? I only ask because that seems like a relatively uncommon location, and it's interesting. May be closer to me than to Chicago.

We need more VPSes in random US cities. I wish someone would setup shop in Louisville, Indianapolis, or Cincinnati. Each are literally about the same distance to me, though it'd probably still go through Chicago to get either one of these places, haha.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can probably get you some great deals in LA/Seattle. It would deffinetely not be a problem, as we have good routes to the whole US. HMU if interested and I will get you a quote.

edited May 2013

@MannDude said: Unrelated to this topic, where are your VPSes at in Columbus, Ohio?

They're in the XLHost datacenter in Columbus, OH :)

PM me if you want any more info/an IP to ping so we don't trash the thread.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I can probably get you some great deals in LA/Seattle. It would deffinetely not be a problem, as we have good routes to the whole US. HMU if interested and I will get you a quote.

Will do tomorrow.

• twaintwain Member

@dominicl said: I have seen that, but this thread is purely for providers to post their offers. There's more than 1 provider out there, and we're open to offers. :) I like to consider all offers available. I will do my research as well, ofc.

Understood, it's tough to find good offers, and I completely agree a thread is needed for this.

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl - We have our servers in Phoenix, so that's pretty far from Ohio, not that it really matters. That being said, you already received some sound advice: go with Ramnode, Atlanta is fairly close and the quality and reliability is exceptional. Or do you want another thread here for when your SolusVM master VPS will crap out and your customers will be angry at you?

We have our own 32GB E3 dedicated server for all of our services that is virtualized and partitioned into several KVM VPS servers and is segregated from the rest of our nodes, behind a hardware firewall and CloudFlare. When you start making some money I recommend that you do something similar, it is well worth it.

• RAMNode or @BradND in Atlanta are good choices.

• Feel free to take a look at our SSD VPSs in Chicago at http://chromobyte.com/openvz

These are located within the Steadfast Networks facility.

• Vouch for @Nick_A -- Use his servers for our SolusVM Master, heck, it's got 256MB RAM and about 5GB disk space I think, Can't even remember, I never log onto it, the only thing it needs is templates to sync, but each one is like 300MB and solus installed is less than 2GB iirc.

Remember, you shouldnt use that server for anything BUT the panel and possible a monitoring node/master. It needs to be independent to effectively deal with requests.

@eastonch yep I know. It doesn't really need to be that close to Columbus, is just more convenient.

• @dominicl any reputable company can be relied on to host a Solus master, opt for a KVM / XEN if you want to decrease the chance of them snooping :)

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@dominicl good luck, we recently just made this transition. I guess you are having the same issues as we did.

@ryanarp fed up of waiting to get support tickets answered. As far as I'm aware, our ticket opened on 20th April is still unanswered. No "proper" explanation for downtime either.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Better use that coupon fast. It will not be coming back soon!

@Nick_A we'll see :)

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@dominicl said: No "proper" explanation for downtime either.

Yea, for us it went down for 4 hours, then came back up, the second time it went down we started our move. We somehow managed to get our SolusVM solution up before they every came back up. We decided that it was a wise decision to move from them. We never got a response on downtime either, last response in tickets was we are looking into this. Not sure if @jarland got a different response via e-mail or other methods, but that is what I was left with. I recommend @Nick_A, he provides a quality service.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Do you want SSD or HDD VPS? We can do SSD in Chicago or HDD in San Diego.

@ryanarp yeah, support was quick at first but not anymore. Time to move from them.

@shovenose HDD

• IshaqIshaq Member

See our offer on LEB perhaps?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

+1 for bluevm's LEB offer.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@dominicl we can do $30/yearly for our Micro VPS plan:
    https://freevps.us/thread-9184.html

• Go with RamNode

• 24khost24khost Member

I can help you out. The Adam on a yearly if that works for you. Special price. pm me about it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

20GB Disk Space for a SolusVM Master? That's overkill, you shouldn't need more than 2-3GB.

• marcmmarcm Member

@KuJoe 200GB here for SolusVM master. Keeping ISOs and templates archived as well to have them handy and I can always copy them to the required node via VLan.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@marcm said: @KuJoe 200GB here for SolusVM master. Keeping ISOs and templates archived as well to have them handy and I can always copy them to the required node via VLan.

That's a waste of space unless you find yourself syncing ISOs/templates frequently. You could easily shrink your SolusVM Master below 5GB.