Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex Server

wojonswojons Member
edited January 2017 in Requests

Looking to build a plex server since my collection is pretty large at home and upload bandwidth is not the greatest. I am looking to build a large Dedicated server for the whole collection or get a few VMS. There is no direct budget number for this looking for what is out there

Dedicated:
CPU: 8 cores, 16 threads
Memory: 64-256gb
Disk: +10TB usable after RAID (1, 5, 6 or 10)
Bandwdith: +10TB

VM:
CPU 2-4 cores
RAM: 4-8GB
Disk: +2TB
Hypervisor: Windows supported
BW: +2TB

Edit:
Some extra details: Location is not a major issue. I am located in LAX area so want it to be responsive since i will still be using largely from work and home. Most trips I take are on west part of USA. I do go over seas from time to time. B

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Out of curiosity, why do you require Windows for Plex? It runs fine on Linux, I've ran mine on CentOS 7 for a while now. With transcoding (if needed) that and Windows is just going to be a crapper.

Thanked by 1Rami
  • @MikeA said:
    Out of curiosity, why do you require Windows for Plex? It runs fine on Linux, I've ran mine on CentOS 7 for a while now. With transcoding (if needed) that and Windows is just going to be a crapper.

I agree with you on this front most of the backup tools I use for full backup like black blaze there consumer version is of windows and osx

edited January 2017

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

I agree with you on this front most of the backup tools I use for full backup like black blaze there consumer version is of windows and osx

Jeez, if you're backing up 2TB+ of media remotely I feel your pain then.

Edit: The only company I can suggest is OVH with their storage servers, nobody else comes close for the capacity. $89 USD for 3x 4TB HDD (Atom 8c/8t 2.4GHz) or their $155 USD 5x6TB SAS server.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

I used to have 8TB in Hubic.. Then the billing went tits up and I lost it all.

@pbgben said:

@MikeA said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

I used to have 8TB in Hubic.. Then the billing went tits up and I lost it all.

I tried Hubic but I ended up just using a cheap dedi because of the distance.. Wish they had it in Montreal.

I personally useone of Online.net's storage servers which provides plenty of IO (Avg 50 plays per day.)

As your in the oosah, I would suggest OVH in Canada but that will be costly for a storage and stream machine.

• @MikeA said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

Edit: The only company I can suggest is OVH with their storage servers, nobody else comes close for the capacity. $89 USD for 3x 4TB HDD (Atom 8c/8t 2.4GHz) or their $155 USD 5x6TB SAS server.

So i thought about this but i know i am going to need to do some transcoding for some of my more mobile devices. And not sure how that cpu will handle the transcoding

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

So i thought about this but i know i am going to need to do some transcoding for some of my more mobile devices. And not sure how that cpu will handle the transcoding

Online.net storage range is much better, but only in france.

• @pbgben said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

@wojons said:

@MikeA said:

Online.net storage range is much better, but only in france.

I think OVH or Kimusfi is better.

• 10TB of movies and series.. That's a lot damn. Why don't you just remove some that you already watched/is not being watched at all..

@BlazeMuis said:
    10TB of movies and series.. That's a lot damn. Why don't you just remove some that you already watched/is not being watched at all..

Its a collection, you don't just delete them when done ;)

• Use Amazon cloud drive? Works great with acd_cli.
    Only need small drives for initial download, and cpu for possible transcode.

• WSSWSS Member

@pbgben said:

@BlazeMuis said:
    10TB of movies and series.. That's a lot damn. Why don't you just remove some that you already watched/is not being watched at all..

Get a WD external drive. It can do that for you automatically. All at once.

Thanked by 1netomx

@WSS said:

@pbgben said:

@BlazeMuis said:

Get a WD external drive. It can do that for you automatically. All at once.

Yeh, I heard that there is a way to unlock this feature in ANY WD DRIVE!

Thanked by 2WSS netomx
  • wojonswojons Member
    edited January 2017

Founder a provider that i was able to get

2x 5520
    96gb ram
    3x 4tb (soft raid 5)
    100tb bandwidth
    for less then 100$ a month i will report back when i get access to the machine.

• @wojons said:
    Founder a provider that i was able to get

2x 5520
    96gb ram
    3x 4tb (soft raid 5)
    100tb bandwidth
    for less then 100$ a month i will report back when i get access to the machine.

What provider is that?