Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipv6 only VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipv6 only VPS

2»

Comments

• @bugrakoc said:

impossiblystupid said: the future is IPv6

It is indeed. However, IPv4 connectivity is still necessary for lots of people.

The issue is simply how you plan to manage the transition. I'm of the mind that the best approach now is to accept that IPv6 is not only the future for everyone, but already common at data centers around the world. That being the case, it makes the most sense to build up any new infrastructure as essentially ignoring the IPv4 Internet, and then NAT/proxy the traffic that comes in on such legacy connections. The days of having a dual stack on every machine are ending. From all my reading, that sounds like the direction mobile phone networks are already heading.

• impossiblystupid said: The days of having a dual stack on every machine are ending.

How do you handle wanting to make an outgoing ipv4 connection from a vps?

• @willie said:

impossiblystupid said: The days of having a dual stack on every machine are ending.

How do you handle wanting to make an outgoing ipv4 connection from a vps?

You first have to establish that it will be a realistic use case. If the architecture is as I've outlined, with only your "infrastructure" doing IPv6, I'd argue that there should be little need for them to be making outgoing connections in the first place.

But even in the situation where you have no choice but to deal with legacy IPv4 machines, I still say the right approach is to set up a bridge machine (or a few) that has a dual stack and will take care of whatever duties are necessary to connect to the legacy IPv4 Internet. The aim is to isolate whatever those needs are, so that when they are no longer necessary, you can just switch off that portion of your network, and everyone else who had been trained to think IPv6-only can just continue on doing so.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

impossiblystupid said:

But even in the situation where you have no choice but to deal with legacy IPv4 machines, I still say the right approach is to set up a bridge machine (or a few) that has a dual stack and will take care of whatever duties are necessary to connect to the legacy IPv4 Internet.

Then you add in extra points of unreliability, bandwidth consumption/bottleneck, and latency. Yes it is realistic for LET users:

• OVH VPS's are ipv4 only
    • Similarly with Online Scaleway C1 dedicated servers.
    • Scaleway vps get a single non-reservable ipv6 address so it can't be used like a normal static address.
    • Time4vps is ipv4 only

These are all resources that aren't easily duplicated by other hosts that have ipv4. There are others that I don't remember off the top of my head.

• @willie said:

• OVH VPS's are ipv4 only

The VPS I ordered in BHS a while ago got IPv6.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Hah, interesting! It looks like they just added that! I got mine in November (black friday special) and it showed this when I logged in a minute ago:

OVH screen shot

• All ovh VPS now have IPv6 :)

• @willie said:
    Then you add in extra points of unreliability, bandwidth consumption/bottleneck, and latency.

Only for IPv4 traffic, which is deprecated. That's the big picture you're continuing to miss here. The fact that some terrible providers are stuck in IPv4-only land is not a good reason for my own servers to stagnate.

• OVH VPS's are

routinely blocked by my firewall due the the amount of abuse they produce. That'll be just as true for their IPv6 allocations, I suspect.