Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Formal Linux Training?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Formal Linux Training?

libro22libro22 Member
edited January 2012 in General

Is it worth it to enroll on a formal Linux class or is it better to study hands-on on your own?

Comments

• learn it your own, it's sometimes better

• @libro22 said: Is it worth it to enroll on a formal Linux class or is it better to study hands-on on your own?

You know, i'm thinking learning the basics on your own is the way to go. Then if you want to advance on that, and you have specific areas you want to learn and get experience with well then that's where the benefits of formal training would probably excel your learning and your technical proficiency. There's a lot of self-taughts who are extremely competent with Linux, as it's the nature of the beast.

• Sorry to hijack a little here but does anyone know of any good linux courses that offer good progression from basics --> advanced in the UK? We need an external training pathway for new staff. We'd even consider a good remote learning accreditation.

If its RH flavoured, that wouldn't hurt.

• @Joel said: You know, i'm thinking learning the basics on your own is the way to go.

Also depends on what you plan on doing and/or where you plan on going after you learn what you need. Some places will require actual course work, certification, and/or a degree in the field.

Thanked by 1Joel
  • @libro22 said: Is it worth it to enroll on a formal Linux class or is it better to study hands-on on your own?

There's nothing wrong with being taught, provided you have a good teacher. At the same time there's no substitute for personal experience. So do both :)

If you learn only on your own there's the risk of developing bad habits -- security-wise especially. A good teacher will address that.

I wish there was someone to teach me Linux when I started, but alas there wasn't.

But I did do a year of drivers education in high school, which I thing has contributed significantly to the fact that I've been (almost) accident-free for 30+ years.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@DaddyCheeseHosting said: Sorry to hijack a little here but does anyone know of any good linux courses that offer good progression from basics --> advanced in the UK? We need an external training pathway for new staff. We'd even consider a good remote learning accreditation.

If you find anything tell me, I'm interested in that sort of stuff. I've done pretty much all the experimenting there is to do and I've got all the basic knowledge plus intermediate knowledge in some fields but I feel that I don't have a completely full knowledge.

I think as the years go by I will complete my understanding etc. but I'm impatient :P

• I went to school for a little while, but never studied linux there. I mostly stuck to oracle dbms, java, and comptia's inet+ certification. I did experiment with linux & freebsd a lot as a teenager, going on into adulthood where I learned a lot doing oddjob sysadmin stuff for a variety of companies. Skip ahead about 6 years, I now work for a datacenter doing linux, freebsd & windows system administration in combination with many other tasks that are reserved for noc staff.

You can learn a lot by simply experimenting with linux on your own. Depending on the pace at which you learn new technology, a class might serve you well, but the job market for linux sysadmins doesn't really take certifications quite that seriously. RHCE could possibly help you though.

If you're looking for a certification that would probably land you a job, consider networking, and grab your ccnt/ccna.