Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving from ESXi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving from ESXi

PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
edited January 2017 in Help

So, I'm moving from ESXi after about 5 years as I now have a bigger box from the Online.Net sale and now need a free Hyper-visor for my needs.

Moving due to the licensing of 8-way SMP license that is available free from them is not enough for my needs as I have a dual, 12 core, 12 thread processor now and unable to use the full chip for one VM as it needs that much (Plex).

Which ones would you suggest and why? Answers like I like ESXi due to the GUI and ease of use would be great, answers like "it's just better" is just annoying.

Forgot to mention, I use a mix of Windows / Linux OS's (Ubuntu / FreeBSD mainly).

Thanked by 2WSS doghouch

Comments

• The ones Ive tried were esxi, xen, proxmox and hyperv.

Personally I liked esxi and proxmox, but Ive generally been staying with proxmox simply because of the free nature of it.

Hyperv is free for me too and ive heard good things about it, but ive never actually gotten that far into a windows server.

Proxmox is nice, because of the gui and inbuilt features + its debian below the hood so I can fix shit myself if something isnt working. It supports kvm+lxc has templates preconfigured that you can use based on turnkey linux.

• rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited January 2017

Proxmox is awesome and it has great features such as VLans, the latest update has a cool GUI which is userfriendly and it uses KVM for full virtualization and LXC for containers.
    You can just test it out as well, they provide you with an ISO file that contains everything you need on Debian :)

• @MagicalTrain said:
    The ones Ive tried were esxi, xen, proxmox and hyperv.

Personally I liked esxi and proxmox, but Ive generally been staying with proxmox simply because of the free nature of it.

Hyperv is free for me too and ive heard good things about it, but ive never actually gotten that far into a windows server.

Proxmox is nice, because of the gui and inbuilt features + its debian below the hood so I can fix shit myself if something isnt working. It supports kvm+lxc has templates preconfigured that you can use based on turnkey linux.

How stable is it? I saw the Proxmox GUI on 4.0 and looks pretty weird coming from ESXi. Got any tips? Might just install it now to give it a go.

@rivermigue said:
    Proxmox is awesome and it has great features such as VLans, the latest update has a cool GUI which is userfriendly and it uses KVM for full virtualization and LXC for containers.
    You can just test it out as well, they provide you with a an ISO file that contains everything you need on Debian :)

+2 for Proxmox.

Giving it a go now, will be back with what I find!

• Its different, yes. But its functional and not that bad once you see where stuff is. Its gotten a lot better since 2.x .

As for tips, its a bit of a problematic question. Cant think of anything specific off the top of my head. Youll need to ask more specifically :)

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

I found Proxmox to be very stable across several of the clusters I have managed. You can also pay a support fee to have access to the "Enterprise" repositories which will have more testing and stability.

If you are installing it on one server and managing it, it is super easy to use and will be very stable. Coming from ESXi, I agree with the others that it is the best out there.

If you grow the infrastructure to more than 1 node, just be sure to read all of the Proxmox clustering documentation before setting up the cluster. That is the only area where I see folks get stuck. But, once that is setup properly, you can add additional nodes with ease.

• WSSWSS Member

Well now I have something to do with my shitboxes, too. Thanks for this thread!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Having used both ESXi and Proxmox at a commercial level and migrated between them I can honestly say that you simply wont find a replacement for ESXi but proxmox is close, migrating your ESXi disks could not be easier and really once you get used to the proxmox interface you will see it is actually well thought out.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith - the more that I see this phrase, the more I remember AmigaDOS. It was also "well thought out".

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Having worked with vmware and ESXi for many years I tried proxmox for the first time a couple of days ago.

Both products has their ups and downs. It only takes some time to get used to them.

• isalemisalem Member
    edited January 2017

Why not stay on ESXi, remove the license and have a script reset the trial counter every couple of days?

WSS said: AmigaDOS

I am a Commodore NUT, Actually just finished putting together a C64 bundle for ebay :)

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am a Commodore NUT, Actually just finished putting together a C64 bundle for ebay :)

I have a complete Plus/4 w/ all original hardware, printer, boxes, et al.. any interest?

edited January 2017

WSS said: I have a complete Plus/4 w/ all original hardware, printer, boxes, et al.. any interest?

Wow, plus 4 is a little bit before my time.

• WSSWSS Member

..sadly I got rid of my C64/Amiga > @AnthonySmith said:

WSS said: I have a complete Plus/4 w/ all original hardware, printer, boxes, et al.. any interest?

Wow, plus 4 is a little bit before my time.

It's time-capsule complete if you're looking to round out your collection!

I have a few spare A500's I assume shipping would be a nightmare though.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have a few spare A500's I assume shipping would be a nightmare though.

I built a behemoth A4000T (custom case) from an A4000 w/ PowerUP G3, VGA, Zorro II Ethernet, and I can't remember whatelse. With softboots, it took nearly 2 minutes to start up, but damn was it awesome. I also ran SVR4 on a 3000UX in 1999, but it didn't like Y2K much, so with it's ROM, it was delegated to 3.0 until I sold it. I also had a Turbo Slab I stuck an 040/50Mhz upgrade into that caused a few small hiccups with the double clockrate, but it was pretty cool, too.

I wanted to show off my apartment from the time, but I can't remember the URL anymore to feed into the WBM.

I can get a shipping quote if you like, but these are seriously in the original boxes which were stored carefully for over 35 years and should be boxed within those if you care to display/resell.