Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Partner wanted for Server Hosting Business (part time) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Partner wanted for Server Hosting Business (part time)

2»

Comments

• aglodekaglodek Member

Hey, the guy is starting/thinking of starting a business. Not an easy step. And he knows he needs help. Give him a break, guys ;)

@underdiver: this is a job offer, not partnership. I think you should make up your mind what you need/want first. If you want to pay somebody to run all that, I suggest Fiverr.com or Freelancer.com. Easy to find low end (cost) help and you don't have to commit to a full time employee at the start, always a good idea...

On the other hand, if you really want a partner, your should start with:

• the investment point
    • the equity you offer in the new venture (!!!)
    • some assumptions about sales figures and profits/ROI you hope to achieve (!!!)
    • proposed exit strategy (!!!)
    • what you expect from your partner (this you did in your post ;)
    • what you bring to the table and what will be your role in all this (!!!)
    • location and organization (what type of company and corresponding risks)

Be prepared to go into other stuff and more details with those you perceive as qualified parties.

Last but not least: for location, suggest you consider Hong Kong, the #1 most business-friendly place and an offshore tax haven to boot (but not perceived as such by other jurisdictions' tax authorities ;)

Good luck with your new venture :)

• DerekDerek Member

@andrzej said: Last but not least: for location, suggest you consider Hong Kong, the #1 most business-friendly place and an offshore tax haven to boot (but not perceived as such by other jurisdictions' tax authorities ;)

Good luck with your new venture :)

heh

• unusedunused Member

@andrzej said: Last but not least: for location, suggest you consider Hong Kong, the #1 most business-friendly place and an offshore tax haven to boot (but not perceived as such by other jurisdictions' tax authorities ;)

Hi Andre,

RE: the doing business part - In your experience/what are your recommendations for processing international credit cards (visa/mc/amex/etc) in hong kong from US/EU customers?

(Also, one downside is that those customers are typically charged an international transaction fee as a % of the sale)

Thanks for your insight.

• aglodekaglodek Member

HK is Asia's financial center. HK banks/credit card processors are the cream of the world. We set up clients with HSBC or BEA. They process cards issued anywhere in the world.

This said, you can also use Skrill/Moneybookers merchant service or any other "global" processor like 2CO or Paypal. If you are an EU resident, Skrill gives you the added benefit of instant withdrawal of proceeds using their MasterCard debit card (limited to about US$300/day, but convenient)

PM me if interested in more details of setting up your business in HK and financial/tax strategy. Hosting is a global business, heck, look at the mix right here at LEB/LET ;) You can set up shop anyplace. However, HK regulations, friendly tax regime and world class business support services are tailor made to facilitate this kind of venture, i.e. foreign-ran online business. A city of 7 million and 12,500+ companies registered EACH MONTH says it all, I think ;)

• aglodekaglodek Member

BTW, I'd suggest some quick-ninja editing your original post here, especially dropping the "part time" in the post title... really makes no sense in one line with "Partner wanted" ;)

• unusedunused Member

@andrzej said: This said, you can also use Skrill/Moneybookers merchant service or any other "global" processor like 2CO or Paypal. If you are an EU resident, Skrill gives you the added benefit of instant withdrawal of proceeds using their MasterCard debit card (limited to about US$300/day, but convenient)

Customers i'm talking about will pay with visa/mc/amex/discover -- skrill, moneybookers etc. are not viable in my opinion - forget about the terrible experience of skrill/2co - processing fees over 2 to 2.5% aren't worth it.

Paypal is widely known and has to be accepted but really more consumer based. I wonder about paypal restrictions from HK (there are different rules on EU paypal to US transactions and so on) - probably ok but good to know more about.

From what I can see merchant gateways like authorize.net don't work with merchant accounts from HSBC HK, etc. I'd be curious if you have a recommendation on an HK gateway that works with an HK account and can process international transactions.

• jeffjeff Member

Really guys? when I read the op post I thought the decks would be filled with blood, please heroes of all things virtual, help this pilgrim back to WHT.

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited May 2013

@jeff that pretty much doesnt make any difference.

• jeffjeff Member

@Simple3x said: doesnt make any difference.

I envision the suitable candidate would have had at least a minimum of no experience... of wasting their time.

• @andrzej said: especially dropping the "part time" in the post title... really makes no sense in one line with "Partner wanted" ;)

Agree, sounds ugly like someone looking for a one night stand in Wan Chai.

• aglodekaglodek Member

@unused said: Customers i'm talking about will pay with visa/mc/amex/discover -- skrill, moneybookers etc. are not viable in my opinion - forget about the terrible experience of skrill/2co - processing fees over 2 to 2.5% aren't worth it.

Really..? And I thought it was all about offering your customers as many payment options as possible. But you did raise an important point here: CC processing fees outside the US are much higher. If the additional 0.5-1.5% puts you off, then you have no option but to set up in the US.

• unusedunused Member

@vRozenSch00n said: Agree, sounds ugly like someone looking for a one night stand in Wan Chai.

Or Mon kok.. then some shark fin soup.

• I will do it. Just wire me a $5000 down payment for security.

• @unused said: Or Mon kok.. then some shark fin soup.

Prefers Kowloon.

• underdiverunderdiver Member
    edited May 2013

(Double post)

• Thank you to the people that are serious and took the time to message me.

• Could a moderator please close this thread. It has served its purpose.

• tiptoptiptop Member

@liam

@underdiver said: Could a moderator please close this thread. It has served its purpose.