Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up windows user with own cdrive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up windows user with own cdrive

So I have seen people run users on there windows server that have there own storage space and I wondered just how do they do this as I want to allow some staff to use a server I got but of course want them limited to there own space and not b able to install stuff etc.

Yes, i know in a hosting provider but I don't know that much when it comes to windows ;) I deal in Linux aha.

Comments

• This does not work as you assume it does.

HyperV is lower level but also partly "in kernel" like LXC/OVZ and the near only solution for such things.

Parallels had Windows before (prob still has) and it worked... not good....

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Easiest way would be to set up restrictions and forbid from saving locally on the C drive and set up a file share and use group policy to map the drive to their account automatically. example on the file server set up xGB limit per account //fileserver/$user and map it to a letter path

• As above, not really sure what you're aiming. We have Active Directory installed, as part of that you can create a file-store on a server and add user accounts - then specify a drive letter on the AD account and a folder path such as \fileserver\homedrives\user1 and when they login it'll show the drive letter (whatever you've mapped) and that file location, it'll look like their own "personal area" as it were.

So long as the security settings are correct each should be isolated unless you're a domain admin - in which you can access any area.

Not 100% sure what you meant with your question but that's what I took from it haha!

• @HyperSpeed said:
    As above, not really sure what you're aiming. We have Active Directory installed, as part of that you can create a file-store on a server and add user accounts - then specify a drive letter on the AD account and a folder path such as \fileserver\homedrives\user1 and when they login it'll show the drive letter (whatever you've mapped) and that file location, it'll look like their own "personal area" as it were.

So long as the security settings are correct each should be isolated unless you're a domain admin - in which you can access any area.

Not 100% sure what you meant with your question but that's what I took from it haha!

this is exactly what i meant, you see i can't explain it that well as im not all that good on windows server ... so how would one do this do you know of any guides

• piohost said: this is exactly what i meant, you see i can't explain it that well as im not all that good on windows server ... so how would one do this do you know of any guides

Thought it looked like an AD question but no problem haha I support it day-in-day-out so not a problem; I wouldn't expect many people to know unless you've dealt with it before.

There are a few guides for setting 'Home drives' in Windows AD:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/816313/how-to-assign-a-home-folder-to-a-user

If you haven't already installed AD it depends on the version of windows you're using but its relatively easy through -> Server Manager -> Add roles & features -> Role based configuration -> AD. - Can be seen here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=220921

On Windows 2003/2008 (not on 2012 and 2016) you can run the command dcpromo in Command Prompt and it'll install the server as a domain controller for your AD environment (you need at least 1 domain controller, a server can be a file server and a domain controller if you've not got a huge amount of users).

• WSSWSS Member

@HyperSpeed said:
    On Windows 2003/2008 (not on 2012 and 2016) you can run the command dcpromo in Command Prompt and it'll install the server as a domain controller for your AD environment (you need at least 1 domain controller, a server can be a file server and a domain controller if you've not got a huge amount of users).

Why do I have a feeling that piohost may end up running dcpromo on a SBS and you're gonna have to fix it?

Thanked by 2mikho Basil
  • @HyperSpeed thanks for the info :) @WSS I probably will break it knowing me, good job this server is just for playing for this exact thing :D

• Partition sections on the drive, each for staff members, setup strict C drive access for only "superuser" can modify/delete, but all can read

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

@piohost said:
    @HyperSpeed thanks for the info :) @WSS I probably will break it knowing me, good job this server is just for playing for this exact thing :D

@piohost If it is a SBS (Small Business Server), keep in mind that messing with any installed services will likely require a reinstall. I'm not that hip to Windows, but you will need some basic AD play under your belt before you can expect this to work (and it does break). Good luck!

• @WSS said:

@piohost said:
    @HyperSpeed thanks for the info :) @WSS I probably will break it knowing me, good job this server is just for playing for this exact thing :D

@piohost If it is a SBS (Small Business Server), keep in mind that messing with any installed services will likely require a reinstall. I'm not that hip to Windows, but you will need some basic AD play under your belt before you can expect this to work (and it does break). Good luck!

No i use 2012r2 datacentre edition :) and thanks like i said this is just a play server for now so if all goes wrong just wipe and repeat untill i get it correct :)

• You could try something like VMWare Horizon

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@piohost if you just aim at giving some disk space to your users, just set up a samba server https://www.samba.org/

• thanks everyone for all the helpful advice :D

• @balbir007 said:
    Your article has really impacted my perspective. It is basic and charming blok. I believe you will keep making such deals with of blog. For more detail please visit

Oh right ... flagged