Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Little Proxmox Help pls.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Little Proxmox Help pls.

DXDDXD Member

Before i have used only /32 and never used /29 . How can i route a ip block of /29 to proxmox ? and how do i select a specific IP from the /29 to use in VPS ?

Its from OVH so i have generated mac and will enter when i make the vps. that part i know but how do i route a 29 that idk...

Comments

• need help shoot me a pm

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

If /29 is already routed to your server, you have no any other thing to do (check the netmask in your node's config to be 255.255.255.248 or greater).
    If it is LXC, then, you have to enter the desired ip to ipv4/cids as xxx.xxx.xx.xx/32 and the gateway to the next field.

If it is KVM, then, you have to enter the desired address to the vm itself.

• DXDDXD Member

@jvnadr said:
    If /29 is already routed to your server, you have no any other thing to do (check the netmask in your node's config to be 255.255.255.248 or greater).
    If it is LXC, then, you have to enter the desired ip to ipv4/cids as xxx.xxx.xx.xx/32 and the gateway to the next field.

If it is KVM, then, you have to enter the desired address to the vm itself.

I have done this so far :
    route add -net x.x.x.x/29 255.255.255.248 dev vmbr0

is this correct or do i need to change the net config manually ?

• DXD said: I have done this so far : route add -net x.x.x.x/29 255.255.255.248 dev vmbr0

Where did you do this? In terminal? You should add network in proxmox's GUI. What virtualization do you use? LXC or KVM? Also, have you created a vmbr0 virtual networking? If not, then you could use eth0 as bridge. But you should create a vmbr0 bridge. Give me more infos so I can give you a proper answer.

• DXDDXD Member
    edited January 2017

@jvnadr said:

DXD said: I have done this so far : route add -net x.x.x.x/29 255.255.255.248 dev vmbr0

Where did you do this? In terminal? You should add network in proxmox's GUI. What virtualization do you use? LXC or KVM? Also, have you created a vmbr0 virtual networking? If not, then you could use eth0 as bridge. But you should create a vmbr0 bridge. Give me more infos so I can give you a proper answer.

I did it in terminal.

I am using kvm.

Yes created vmbr0 already.

Thanked by 1Vita
  • Create your KVM vm using proxmox's interface, selecting vmbr as network bridge. Select your preferred network card. Open the proxmox's vnc to setup the KVM VM. When the setup enters the network config, use your prefferd ip as the vm's ip, 255.255.255.255 as netmask and your node's ip as gateway (chose dns servers according with your needs, like google's 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4).
    That should be all. When you complete the setup of the KVM vm, you should have assigned the ip to your new server.

Thanked by 1DXD
  • launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

You may also need to add the unique MAC address that you generated via the OVH administration interface that corresponds to the IP that you will be using for the VM. Otherwise, networking will not be functional within the new VM.

EDIT: You mentioned this in the original post. My apologies. I misunderstood.

• You should also specify the MAC address of the desired IP here

Thanked by 1WSS
  • DXDDXD Member

I am using KVM QEMU not LXC
    Have created a bridge like this for every ip :

will this work or i am missing something ?

• There is a tutorial on the proxmox wiki for OVH servers, because its a bit different from normal:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVH

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

@DXD said:
    I am using KVM QEMU not LXC
    Have created a bridge like this for every ip :

will this work or i am missing something ?

You only need 1 bridge. This will be your external connection to the node. Use the main IP given by OVH.

You do not need to setup a bridge for each additional IP given to you by OVH. You only need to specify the MAC address as noted earlier during the VM creation wizard.

After you setup the bridge, you can then configure VMs to use that bridge (vmbr0) during the VM creation wizard.

Then, when working through the VM creation wizard just fill in all of the information such as MAC, IP, Netmask, Gateway, etc.

The VM will then use the vmbr0 bridge to get out to the internet. As long as you add the proper MAC and input all other details correctly, the VM should have functional networking.