Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offshore virtual server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Offshore virtual server

2»

Comments

• Well, "offshore" can mean a lot depending on who uses that term.

In the strict legal sense you can forget about it. No country, except Russia and China, dares to tell washington to fuck themselves. And Russia and China have their own sets of rules, too.

Maybe it's more reasonable to break it down over two parameters, a) the degree a country (it government and agencies) respect their own constitution and b) what one wants to do in an offshore location.

As for a) I break it down like this:

• basically servile whores to washington - this includes i.a. sweden, danmark, germany (which once was rather strongly conforming to their constitution-ersatz), the baltics, poland.

• those who at least try to keep a small amount of self-esteem and freedom. - france is an example or netherland.

• those who don't care shit about what the yankees want or want not. - Russia comes to mind.

But careful. One also needs to look at the second parameter. There are different groups.

• white collar scams, tax fraud, etc. by formally decent and usually at least mid-size entities.

• any kind of crime by any not large entity

• free speech and related

Plus, how it's structured. In many countries, for instance, it's cumulative, i.e. both set apply, their own and those of washington and brussels.

As a rule of thumb, pretty much all western countries have a quite high tolerance for white collar crimes if they are committed professionally, by large entities, and with a nice clean surface.

On the other hand pretty much no country (of any internet relevance) tolerates outright crimes by anyone but large entities. Forget the wild stories about Russia; that lawlessness was mostly due to their bad situation. Nowadays you certainly don't want to be caught in Russia if you are an evil hacker.

Where it gets interesting is politics and free speech. Besides the simple and obvious fact that all the blocks tolerate quite harsh talking about the opponents, some even try to keep at least some democracy/free speech alive. A positive western example would be netherland which tries hard to keep some basic rights alive. Similarly, albeit usually for different reasons, the south-eastern european countries are kind of offshore.

Most importantly keep in mind that there is no single kill all birds with one stone country regarding "offshore". It depends very much in what you want to do and how you do it. Moreover all this is somewhat fluent; what was "offshore" yesteryear can be a washington whore today.

That said, my personal preference are Romania and Bulgaria or, more hardcore, Russia - well noted, for free speech and democracy, not for crimes (granted, I can't tell you a lot about online crimes because I happen to not be interested and to not having experience).

Thanked by 2quick bash99
  • stefeman said: stefeman

Nope :)

• WSSWSS Member

Where the hell are your father's SAAB parts?

• antik0 said: IS, NO, NL, RO, CH, FI, SE, Serbia, UA, BG, LI, IM, LV, LT.

Do not use Norway (NO) as offshore hosting....I live there, and they have really strict rules against piracy/torrents. Most of the known torrent sites is blocked by the ISPs, and they monitors the IP used for torrent downloading and take you to court (or your ISP).

• myhken said: myhken

Yeah, the myths still got crashing..)

• antik0 said: securehost.com

You have... interesting theories... what securehost does actually do; they are in NO WAY supporting warez or similar and are merely used for email and similar things mostly related to offshore companies (eg. local storage requirement on the Bahamas for banking license holders).

Their network is - what else should it be, it's a mostly singlehomed island country - Cable bahamas which is ok, though not cheap.

Generally they are prohibitively expensive, colo/dedi (some dual core (!) xeon with 4GB (DDR2 likely) RAM and 2x1TB + 1TB BW) cost about the same at 250-300$/mo...

• @myhken said:

antik0 said: IS, NO, NL, RO, CH, FI, SE, Serbia, UA, BG, LI, IM, LV, LT.

Do not use Norway (NO) as offshore hosting....I live there, and they have really strict rules against piracy/torrents. Most of the known torrent sites is blocked by the ISPs, and they monitors the IP used for torrent downloading and take you to court (or your ISP).

Well, that's sort of true. We do have laws here in Norway, but no way to actually enforce those laws. I work for an ISP here and we have fought, and won, cases for our customers privacy.
    That beeing said, you are correct that Norway is not a good place for so-called offshore hosting as the mentioned laws are in place. It's just a matter of time before we will have no choice but to hand over customer data to the prosecutors/government.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @cociu Do you do IPv6 for any of your offers?

• busbr said: @cociu Do you do IPv6 for any of your offers?

for the moment no but in maximum 1 month we will offer ipv6 too