Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSBit Free VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSBit Free VPS

2»

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

@willie said:

WSS said: It's a pretty damn nice IPv4 KVM with an admin interface that isn't complete shit.. and it's still available at Nodion.

Oh yes, I remember Nodion's offer and being tempted. I just didn't remember Nik's name in connection with it. Cool! I'm sure you'll find more uses for it than just monitoring.

For #12/yr, (512MB/15GB/250GB) KVM is more than worth the cost of entry- but @nik Nodion's admin is fucking awesome- and just works. It's second only to mnx.io in my mind for simplicity/usability.

Thanked by 1cochon
  • Why not offer it with an IPv6 range or a single IPv6?

• WSS said: For #12/yr, (512MB/15GB/250GB) KVM is more than worth the cost of entry- but @nik Nodion's admin is fucking awesome- and just works. It's second only to mnx.io in my mind for simplicity/usability.

Yeah it was a real nice offer... I've forgotten the DC location. I signed up for the $10 Vortexnode KVM (512MB/10GB SSD) and already had an OVH vps-ssd-1 figured I had enough KVM's for now. Is Nodion's HDD or SSD?

I haven't tried mnx.io but they look good too: something like Vultr/DO, main drawback is just one location which is Michigan. They have attractively priced storage servers ($15/TB RAID) considering that it's hourly billing.

Main feature I'd like in a KVM that none of my current ones have is ability to install arbitrary iso's without opening tickets.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    I'm sorry but the bullsh*t level of Carrotpay is too much for me to deal with.

Maybe you have some way of addressing that but it still leaves the Carrot issue.

We deal with fraud by using Carrot! It's not an anti-fraud or anti-abuse system by any means, but it does require a small amount of effort to get it working. If you don't think it's worth the effort, that's fine! We have more demand than supply so we do not need to make it as easy as possible for everyone.

But our position is, if you can't put even a tiny amount of effort to apply for and continue using the VPS by collecting the sitecoins every month, then you're not our target audience.

• randvegeta said:

But our position is, if you can't put even a tiny amount of effort to apply for and continue using the VPS by collecting the sitecoins every month, then you're not our target audience.

It's not the effort, it's the privacy invasions and game playing cuteseyness. Although I figured out after a while that there's no download needed. It looked like a phone app but turns out to be a browser page. That wasn't as bad as it seemed at first.

• OK, so are you just dangling a 'carrot' with this thread, or do you plan to offer this? I'm sure there'll be enough interest from LET users alone for a small trial. If so any idea when?

• @randvegeta said:

We deal with fraud by using Carrot! It's not an anti-fraud or anti-abuse system by any means

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

@willie said:

WSS said: For #12/yr, (512MB/15GB/250GB) KVM is more than worth the cost of entry- but @nik Nodion's admin is fucking awesome- and just works. It's second only to mnx.io in my mind for simplicity/usability.

Yeah it was a real nice offer... I've forgotten the DC location. I signed up for the $10 Vortexnode KVM (512MB/10GB SSD) and already had an OVH vps-ssd-1 figured I had enough KVM's for now. Is Nodion's HDD or SSD?

Nodion is SSD, and they're in France and the UK now. The #12/yr deal is still available.

I haven't tried mnx.io but they look good too: something like Vultr/DO, main drawback is just one location which is Michigan. They have attractively priced storage servers ($15/TB RAID) considering that it's hourly billing.

Their shit just works (tm), too. They're not your generic WHMCS reseller. Their SmartOS based host is pure evil for any of us Solaris fallouts.. it needs a lot of XML these days, but it JUST WORKS when it's setup - not unlike the old days.

Main feature I'd like in a KVM that none of my current ones have is ability to install arbitrary iso's without opening tickets.

VortexNode dedicated server for $20/mo? :D

• Definitely interested

@cochon said:
    OK, so are you just dangling a 'carrot' with this thread, or do you plan to offer this? I'm sure there'll be enough interest from LET users alone for a small trial. If so any idea when?

Maybe next week. Need new nodes for this.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

WSS said: VortexNode dedicated server for $20/mo? :D

Didn't know there was a way to load isos on that. But someone (you?) were saying earlier that they were still working on their installation process. They just started running that company and they're quite responsive but imho they're still working out some kinks. Their SSD vps is fantastically responsive but getting it running hit a few minor snags. One of the attractions of a DO/maybe MNX type of host is to automatically launch servers from an api, and that takes having stuff working very smoothly at the host side.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@willie said:

WSS said: For #12/yr, (512MB/15GB/250GB) KVM is more than worth the cost of entry- but @nik Nodion's admin is fucking awesome- and just works. It's second only to mnx.io in my mind for simplicity/usability.

Nodion is SSD, and they're in France and the UK now. The #12/yr deal is still available.

Their shit just works (tm), too. They're not your generic WHMCS reseller. Their SmartOS based host is pure evil for any of us Solaris fallouts.. it needs a lot of XML these days, but it JUST WORKS when it's setup - not unlike the old days.

Thanks for mentioning us, we are in Germany (FRAnkfurt) as well as the UK (LONdon) though. :-)

• WSSWSS Member

@nik said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

Thanks for mentioning us, we are in Germany (FRAnkfurt) as well as the UK (LONdon) though. :-)

France is part of Germany, thought? >:)

I guess I really need to login before spouting something from memory - I don't even remember seeing the flag on the new server provisioning.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: VortexNode dedicated server for $20/mo? :D

Didn't know there was a way to load isos on that. But someone (you?) were saying earlier that they were still working on their installation process. They just started running that company and they're quite responsive but imho they're still working out some kinks. Their SSD vps is fantastically responsive but getting it running hit a few minor snags. One of the attractions of a DO/maybe MNX type of host is to automatically launch servers from an api, and that takes having stuff working very smoothly at the host side.

With IPMI, this isn't really a big deal. It's only the atom servers which are a bit of a pain in the ass.

Thanked by 1willie
  • @randvegeta just a heads up, your domain vpsbit.com has expired today, 25th. Was checking to see progress and the site is unavailable.

• ...and they're back

Silly automated systems dont work

• I will definitely be interested

• i'm interested too

• I can vouch for @randvegeta I've been using his free VPS service for a long time (about a year), and it works great for me. Using it for testing mostly, and a private VPN for gaming instead of Hamachi etc. Uptime is solid, and latency is good.

• l am.in

• I just saw a host offering free 128MB vps's if you put a web site on the vps with a main page link pointing back to the host. I don't remember which host it was though.