Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japan, GMO Cloud: 2GB RAM, 100GB disk KVM VPS for $10/mo (yearly) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Japan, GMO Cloud: 2GB RAM, 100GB disk KVM VPS for $10/mo (yearly)

2»

Comments

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ said: How did you register, all I see is a form that asks me in which Japanese Prefecture do I live, accepts ZIP code and Phone numbers strictly in the JP formats, etc?

I have a parcel redirection address with tenso.com so I just used that. You can probably just put in a fake address too, I doubt they'd check.

• fanfan Veteran

Are they fine with foreign CC's?

• cynixcynix Member

@fan said: Are they fine with foreign CC's?

Well, they didn't reject mine when signing up. Not sure what will happen at the end of the trial.

• Too bad it's not possible to register without a Japanese address.

• cynixcynix Member

@365Networks said: Too bad it's not possible to register without a Japanese address.

Sign up for a parcel redirection service and you'll have a Japanese address.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@cynix said: Do I need to tell them anything specific or just let them know it's not working and let them figure it out?

First, try deleting and recreating your tunnel and check maybe it just started to work already. If it still doesn't, mail to ipv6-at-he.net, send your Tunnel ID and IPv4 address of your endpoint just in case. They answer all kinds of issues quite quickly, but only in the US business hours it seems.

The problem is/was specific to the Tokyo tunnel server btw, I tried Hong Kong and Singapore, those worked from the get-go, but with a much higher ping.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

How's the SEA bandwidth on this?

Does traffic to CN/ID/MY/AU go via the USA?

@ElliotJ to 203.189.96.21,
    http://hk.edis.at/ - via the US on the back route, 170ms
    http://www.oneasiahost.com/lg/ - direct, 70ms
    http://lg.ransomit.com.au/ - via the US both ways, 280ms
    Kind of hit and miss, I guess.
    These results are about the same as of Ablenet, btw.

• Me as well, I would love to pick one up.

• EDIT: As @cynix said, use a Japanese address.

I used Tenso, they allow you to sign up for a free registered Japanese address with a phone number as well. I had to convert my name into Japanese for the form to accept my details.

Will let you guys know how everything pans out!

• Hi everyone, apologies for the triple post. :O If possible you can merge/delete them...

I just received my VPS, had to login to the web panel for it to be activated.

Here is some quick benchmarks:

root@sub0000525548:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
    Number of cores : 3
    CPU frequency : 2133.466 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2001 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime : 23 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 13.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 466KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.23MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.18MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 991KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 612KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.92MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.00MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.23MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 1.74MB/s
    I/O speed : 93.1 MB/s

Will post more later.

edited July 2013

So I signed up for their trial; first thing to notice:

http://japaneseclass.jp/ seems to be hosting there (not 100% certain), so a test IP is 203.189.96.21.

this turns out to be NOT the case, I got an IP from 153.122.19.x, which is AS18068 Dream Wave Shizuoka Co. Ltd., and not AS7506 GMO Internet,Inc. The first AS has a very different and actually somewhat better routing for me.

Also, disk space is limited to 10GB during the trial period, and is split into a 9GB main drive and a 1GB swap drive. Once billing starts you'll need to send a support request to add more space. Not sure if they simply enlarge the main drive to 99GB or add an extra 90GB drive to your VPS.

I got full disk from the start of the trial:
    Disk Drive: /dev/sda Size: 106300440576 bytes, 106.3 GB

You can ping out from your VPS, but you can't ping your VPS from the outside.

Ping and traceroute on IPv4 work without an issue both from the VPS and to the VPS from the outside.

Also, it doesn't work with HE.net's TunnelBroker (same as Ablenet). They must be blocking 6in4 traffic or something.

Yes I can now confirm, incoming 6in4 traffic is blocked. Not even 6to4 works. In tcpdump on a remote host I can see that it receives ping6 from this VPS sent by it via the tunnel, but replies do not come through.

As noted above on Ablenet I had no problems using a 6in4 tunnel (after he.net fixed their server), and in fact Ablenet have added native IPv6 recently.

update: Also I get a really poor 'dd' write benchmark result, about 30-40 MB/sec only, even though ioping is very low and stable. I wonder if they could be using SAN over Ethernet, if it is capped during trial, or something else.

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ Hey, thanks for keeping your wiki up to date, I just found out about ConoHa through your page and I might give them a try in the next few weeks. They seem to be the only Japanese provider that expose the full CPU to your VPS instance (E5-2670, according to this blog post).

I was able to sign up but they wouldn't accept my MasterCard. I had to use American Express, which is a shame as they charge more for foreign currency conversion. Luckily it won't make much of a difference for LEB prices.

@cynix How did you pass phone verification at ConoHa? (in case you can do that, you could also try Onamae)

• fanfan Veteran

@rm_ said:
    cynix How did you pass phone verification at ConoHa? (in case you can do that, you could also try Onamae)

What do they require? A local phone or the call is Japanese only?

@fan both Onamae and ConoHa require you to enter a Japanese local phone number, and they will dial it to check. What happens during the actual check I am not sure, but really doubt it's done manually by a human, perhaps just some automated message will ask you to "press # to confirm" or something along those lines.

• cynixcynix Member
    edited July 2013

@rm_ I used twilio.com to get a Japanese local phone number and made it forward calls to me.

It's an automated call that asks you to enter the 4-digit number shown on their website when you initiate the verification process.

Can't see the benefit of choosing Onamae over ConoHa. Their prices are very close if paying monthly, but ConoHa's CPU is much more powerful.

edited July 2013

Soooo, now my trial ended, and it turns out I can't actually pay for the service.
    Tried like five different cards already (mostly MC, but one Virtual Visa), they successfully authorize a test lock/unlock which shows up as either "0 JPY" or "0.01 USD" depending on the card, but then their interface always fails with an error message saying "カード認証でエラーが発生しました" (An error has occurred on the card authentication), and the charge for the actual amount does not come through.
    Looks like I won't be using this VPS, kind of pity, aside from no native IPv6 (and IPv6 tunnels being blocked) it seemed very nice, stable and fast in all aspects (CPU/IO/network).

• ttsaonttsaon Member

hi, how to make order?