Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeoDNS question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GeoDNS question

hzrhzr Member

What is the easiest way to set up GeoDNS? All requests don't/shouldn't need to be cached, low TTL, don't care too much about response times or anycasting. Will probably be running this myself because requests will be too much to pay for a SaaS for this. Uptime is not 100% needed.

Would like the ability to serve a different A record based on country or ASN (ideally both).

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

I really want to do more than take the piss out of this- but a Logitech guy who writes Perl!? I mean really!

• @WSS said:

I really want to do more than take the piss out of this- but a Logitech guy who writes Perl!? I mean really!

I am not sure your meaning(?), but it is written in C ..... and works very well. Not perfect (no AXFR, no logging) but has been reliable, fast enough, and easy to maintain.

Great self-hosted replacement for numerous paid GeoDNS services I have tried.

• WSSWSS Member

@geekalot said:

@WSS said:

I am not sure your meaning(?), but it is written in C ..... and works very well. Not perfect (no AXFR, no logging) but has been reliable, fast enough, and easy to maintain.

I'm just being a jerk (read the backstory on the project), but I am a nsd guy most of the time, since giving up djbdns due to it being 1997-compliant in 2017. The lack of AXFR and logging sucks, but I'll play with it a bit to see if it does what I want. Cheers!

• @WSS said:

@geekalot said:

@WSS said:

I'm just being a jerk (read the backstory on the project), but I am a nsd guy most of the time, since giving up djbdns due to it being 1997-compliant in 2017. The lack of AXFR and logging sucks, but I'll play with it a bit to see if it does what I want. Cheers!

gdnsd is a bit quirky, I'll admit, but it just works(tm).

I'm running it across numerous VPS worldwide to provide my own GeoDNS for websites, apps, etc. Can't complain (especially at the pricepoint ;-).

I just got very fed up with certain GeoDNS providers who increased their price/limited the # of zones/records, etc after basically using LET to Beta test their offering.

I'm also playing with PowerDNS w/ MariaDB for other purposes, but gdnsd is pretty lightweight without the DB requirement.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@geekalot said:
    gdnsd is a bit quirky, I'll admit, but it just works(tm).

Well, I guess I'll have to play with it on a couple otherwise-inert VPS, myself. Cheers!

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2017

@WSS

I'm a nsd guy like you (with a similar story; also had to let go djb's dns). I had a quick look at gdnsd, frankly mostly because its name seemed to suggest it might be a pimped up nsd.
    I wouldn't even try it. Sure geo dns would be nice to have but reliability is the attribute a dns server must have. "You'll get nice gadgets but lose in reliability" is a deal I always refuse with dns.
    And btw, projects that were first perl and then implemented in C are pretty much always quirky.

All in all, I'd rather add that functionality to nsd.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2017

To each their own I guess. I am doing 500 million+ queries/mo w/ 5second TTL for a few months and haven't had an issue with gdnsd.

The quirkiness I referred to was relating to structure/syntax of the config file.

At this point I don't care what it is written in ...... as long as it works, with good performance & reliability, is decently supported/or I can support it.

• hzrhzr Member

Will take a look at all of them and try it, thanks. An esoteric zonefile isn't a big deal for me because I really only have 10ish A records where I need to override by specificism (like world -> ip1, canada -> ip2, asn0-asn9 within canada -> ip3 for the same hostname)