Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenSourceBilling - Looking for people to testdrive and adapt
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenSourceBilling - Looking for people to testdrive and adapt

AsimAsim Member
edited May 2013 in General

The company I work for has initiated an OpenSource project called OpenSourceBilling. Its written in Ruby. For smaller organizations and emerging companies, it may serve as a good alternate to paid billing. This is suppose to be general billing software and not targeted for hosting industry but it might help someone. The features are

• A nice looking Dashboard with graph, key metrics, current and past invoices, and a list of recent activities
  • Create and send invoices to your clients
  • Enter payments against sent invoices
  • Partial payments tracking
  • Receive payments through Paypal and credit card
  • Invoice dispute management
  • Export invoices to PDF
  • Reports like Payments Collected, Aged Accounts Receivable, Revenue By Client and more to come

Although it only support PayPal as a payment method but the company wants to see what the community at large thinks of this and based on popular feature-requests, there will be improvements to this OpenSource product.

Its available on GitHub along with instructions to install .

Demo is also available here: http://demo.opensourcebilling.org/ (please report any and all issues to the development team via github or email)
More screenshots: http://opensourcebilling.org/screenshots/

thanks,

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

Make a stripe module for this and I'll love you longtime.

• upfreakupfreak Member

Looks nice. Thanks @Asim

• @Asim It looks great. BTW, I haven't seen you for quite a while. Busy?

• Looks nice!

One feature, which seems to be lacking in all other systems other than WHMCS/Hostbill/Blesta is the accounting of PayPal fees, does this system have this?

• DerekDerek Member

Its Ruby on Rails :(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Not the best name, kind of like "New Text Document.txt". Or perhaps it was a code name and description of what they were going to develop, with a TODO note to think up a real name later, but no one has ever got around to it, and they just decided to not bother and just release as is.

• Asim is busy with the university :D
    Thanks for your work Asim :)

• seriesnseriesn Member

Looks awesome. Will give it a shot later today.

Keep up the good work :)

• DavidxDavidx Member

It looks amazing.. is recurring invoices/billing available?

• FreekFreek Member

@David_P said: It looks amazing.. is recurring invoices/billing available?

Ditto, I have exactly the same question!

• Looks superb but please add support for other payment methods such as moneybookers because Paypal doesn't work in many countries of the world.

• 24khost24khost Member

cpanel, webuzo, kloxo plugins.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Can we implement this with our own projects as it is open source?

• Looks really good!

• t3stert3ster Member
    edited May 2013

@bcarlsonmedia said: Can we implement this with our own projects as it is open source?

No
    He justs wants to brag about how awesome this tool is and show you the source, but no one should ever use this.

It is licensed under GNU General Public License, so you could use it in your own project, if you follow the rules of the license.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@t3ster - I'm on my phone so I couldn't see what it was licensed under or which version.

Thanks!

• looks nice, when will be available?

• Certainly looks nice and it is really great that it is open source. Will check it out when I get the need

• @vampireJ said: Certainly looks nice and it is really great that it is open source. Will check it out when I get the need

I'll have to agree, it looks very clean.

• AsimAsim Member

@Jacob said: Make a stripe module

Forwarded the request to development team, thanks @Jacob

@peppr said: Looks nice. Thanks @Asim

Thanks @peppr

@vRozenSch00n said: @Asim It looks great. BTW, I haven't seen you for quite a while. Busy?

@vRozenSch00n yes, still taken away with work & offline-life :)

@GetKVM_Ash said: accounting of PayPal fees, does this system have this?

@GetKVM_Ash at the moment, no.
    Yes, I have placed this

@Derek said: Its Ruby on Rails :(

Yes @Derek, right now its ROR

@rm_ said: Not the best name, kind of like "New Text Document.txt". Or perhaps it was a code name and description of what they were going to develop, with a TODO note to think up a real name later, but no one has ever got around to it, and they just decided to not bother and just release as is.

LOL, interesting read, thanks for looking at this @rm_. As the application matures, we may rename it to something but right now all names were taken and we are left with the one that we currently have

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Thanks for your work Asim :)

Thanks to the development team and the company for realsing it. I was not part of the development team but wanted to share it with LET if someone wishes to adapt or provide feedback to improve it.

@Zen said: It looks great, and its functionality is awesome. My only suggestion would be to add a few payment methods (particularly Stripe or some way to accept CC other than via PayPal).

@Zen We may have GoogleWallet and/or Stripe, will keep everyone updated

@seriesn said: Looks awesome. Will give it a shot later today.

@seriesn thanks, please provide feedback on what you think about it

@David_P said: is recurring invoices/billing available?

@David_P yes, probably still in the testing phase and not pushed online but its there. Let me get updates on this from the development team

@Sledger said: Looks superb but please add support for other payment methods such as moneybookers because Paypal doesn't work in many countries of the world.

@Sledger MoneyBookers/Skrill can be added but other payment modules have more requests so we may have Stripe/GoogleWallet before starting work on Skrill

• AsimAsim Member

@24khost said: cpanel, webuzo, kloxo plugins.

@24khost This is still in the discussions since the prime focus is billing. Yes, this may evolve to have the plugins for webhosting as well but I cannot say for sure since I am not actively involved in development

@bcarlsonmedia said: Can we implement this with our own projects as it is open source?

@bcarlsonmedia Sure, feel free to fork :) its on GitHub as explained in the original message

@Abdussamad said: Looks really good!

Thanks @Abdussamad, test drive this and provide feedback on functionality as well

He justs wants to brag about how awesome this tool is and show you the source, but no one should ever use this.

It is licensed under GNU General Public License, so you could use it in your own project, if you follow the rules of the license.

Thanks @t3ster for the compliments. Actually this is GNU so you can freely use it under the guidelines of GNU/GPL. We do not have a secondary license imposed at this point. If there is anything else? feel free to let me know and I will convey to the development team.

My philosophy has always been to give-back to the community, while I understand this may not be as big and hifi as the other large OpenSource projects but its a start. Everything needs a start and support from the community to get this going. All I am requesting is, try this and provide feedback, suggestions, bug-reports etc

@bcarlsonmedia said: @t3ster - I'm on my phone so I couldn't see what it was licensed under or which version.

Its GNU/GPL v3 to be exact

@dedicados said: looks nice, when will be available?

@dedicados it is available on GitHub right now, download, branch, fork it to your will. Just remember, its GNU/GPL v3

@vampireJ said: Certainly looks nice and it is really great that it is open source. Will check it out when I get the need

Thanks @vampireJ

@EliteTurtle said: I'll have to agree, it looks very clean.

Thank you @EliteTurtle

• im going to test it

• FritzFritz Veteran

Looks very good @Asim,
    Is it possible to integrate a POS feature?