Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IBM POWER8?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IBM POWER8?

GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
edited January 2017 in General

Has anyone here used the IBM Power8 servers/CPUs and if so are they capable of running Java 7 or 8, httpd/apache2, MySQL and PHP? I even wonder if you could run minecraft servers on them lol

Apparently they're soon to come to OVH SoYouStart with
192 Threads
3.02GHz CPU
2x12cores - 8 threads per core
64 GB RAM
12x300Go SAS

and Ubuntu 12.04, 16.04 and 16.10 for Power 8 however it's not going to be cheap

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/power8/

The whole idea of these servers seems to be the ability to process large amounts of data way faster than any x86 or x86_64 CPU can from companies like Intel, etc.

Comments

• rpcoperpcope Member
    edited January 2017

I had looked into Power8 when considering purchasing one of the Talos workstations (which were ridiculously expensive), and it appears as though Debian supports it as ppc64el. If you look at the packages, like Apache2, and php5-common it shows that there are ppc64el packages, so I'd be really surprised if all of the standard stuff wasn't present. I would imagine the same goes for Ubuntu, since ppc64el is also officially support there.

As a side note, supposedly the memory access is more performant in Power8 than x86_64, but the big win for me was that the layout for the chip itself is totally open, in comparison to x86_64 where you have things like the on-board management engine (and potentially other things crammed on the chip) that could theoretically be doing gods knows what.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited January 2017

These servers are already available for a very long time using this link:

https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/order/soYouStart.xml?reference=161power1

• niknik Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

ONLINE were also offering them for quite some time now:
    https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-power8

• They are not lowend for sure!

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

lol I saw this, I guess they are going to be available in Sydney, Singapore and Warsaw as well, wish I had that much money right now as I'd love to play around with one of these beefy powerful machines

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@ethancedrik said:
    lol I saw this, I guess they are going to be available in Sydney, Singapore and Warsaw as well, wish I had that much money right now as I'd love to play around with one of these beefy powerful machines

I really doubt it, it is probably a mistake on their side and they will refund if you order somewhere other than France.

• @exception0x876 said:

@ethancedrik said:

I really doubt it, it is probably a mistake on their side and they will refund if you order somewhere other than France.

Yeah, I guess when you think about it logically that wouldn't really make any sense, they would probably have them in BHS before they would add them to those other datacenters.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Your best bet is to find a bunch of people that would want to share a Power8 and split the cost.

• WSSWSS Member

Well hell, I need to do my RPG IV on something!

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I tried their power8 instance on runabove and performance wasn't that great at all. If you need to process a lot of data it's probably much faster to order a bunch of their $3 instances and scale horizontally.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Does anyone have experience with how these POWER8 are dealing with video transcoding via FFMPEG?

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

nik said: dealing with video transcoding via FFMPEG?

It would surprise me if it was good since ffmpeg has all kinds of x86 avx code etc. You're better off getting some cheap x86 dedis. The power8 has stupendous memory bandwidth and i/o, but is unspectacular at the price for raw cpu computation. Ffmpeg isn't that memory intensive and just wants to compute a lot.

Still, I'd be interested in playing with a power8 to run benchmarks sometime.