Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN and rDNS / PTR
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN and rDNS / PTR

Hello,
I am just after some advice from those more knowledgeable than me regarding the best practice for setting rDNS / PTR (if indeed required) for a private VPN.

It's just for personal use and wont be sending e-mail (apart from any system generated) I have seen most commercial VPS providers use host-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.redstation.co.uk (or similar for example) or subdomain.somerandomdomain.com

My initial idea was to use the domain with something like private.domain.com but wanted to know if there is any best practice or (security) caveats I need to be aware of.

TIA

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Generally you will want your forward and reverse matching your MX whenever possible. Also ensure that your spf records are good.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • WSSWSS Member

If you intend for a non mail transfer host to just send mail, insure forward, reverse match is identical to avoid being kicked, and it being allowed in your spf records as an outgoing host.

• SSL, DKIM, DMARC, and SPF are the keys to good email practice.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • Hi,
    Super thanks for the replies. I wanted to just re post It's just for personal use and wont be sending e-mail (apart from any system generated)

It's probably vanity but setting the rDNS with the server IP seems a little daft to me (after all thats what will be logged on any site visit) I prefer the idea of private.pissoffsnopping.com as being the address that is logged via the reverse.

My cable provider sets a reverse (as I suspect many do) which points to my connection directly:

cust.xxxxx.area.node.ispprovider.com which is going to be more common in the future so I am trying to avoid that

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You can set your PTR to anything. Most providers will demand forward to reverse matching though, so say you won't be allowed to set a PTR as Lowendtalk.com without lowendtalk.com pointing to your IP.

In regards to logging - most logs IP + hostname so I don't understand what are you trying to achieve in this aspect.

• I just don't get it...

If you won't be using mails, what's the use of rDNS good for?

Other than that, ask for tour IP provider to set you up with rDNS records

• Nomad said: If you won't be using mails, what's the use of rDNS good for?

IRC :P

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Nomad said:
    I just don't get it...

It doesn't matter really, one can use it for many purposes, or just to 'be cool'. The point is that it's not helping privacy at all, it's simply not what this is for, and these is what OP seems to think.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • WSSWSS Member

@Clouvider said:

@Nomad said:
    I just don't get it...

It doesn't matter really, one can use it for many purposes, or just to 'be cool'. The point is that it's not helping privacy at all, it's simply not what this is for, and these is what OP seems to think.

rPTR is identd in TYOOL 2017?