Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net C14 backup question.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net C14 backup question.

Hello guys.

Seems the onlines c14 backup is cheap but what the hell means per operation?
Means once I upload or download they will charge me?

Thanks.

Comments

• You could just read their site.

What is an operation?

>

An operation is an action between your temporary safe-deposit box and the C14 infrastructure: Archiving, Unarchiving, Destruction and Verification.

Transactions are billed according to the amount of data to be processed at a price of €0.01 / GB

As stated: Uploading and Downloading are free.

• WHTWHT Member

@IThinkUFailed said:
    You could just read their site.

What is an operation?

>

An operation is an action between your temporary safe-deposit box and the C14 infrastructure: Archiving, Unarchiving, Destruction and Verification.

Transactions are billed according to the amount of data to be processed at a price of €0.01 / GB

As stated: Uploading and Downloading are free.

I cant really understand that. If I upload from a server will I get charged per operation but if I upload manualy will not?

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

• @OhMyMy said:

I also quoted that, though...

The uploading of files would be free but then I assume they would be archived and this would incur the fee. Should you want your files back you would then need to pay another fee to retrieve them but downloading them after this would be free. You would also be charged to have any data stored destroyed too.

As @OhMyMy said - There IS a calculator on the site and you could always submit a sales ticket or even ask in their IRC channel.

Thanked by 2WHT OhMyMy
  • WHTWHT Member

@IThinkUFailed said:

@OhMyMy said:

I also quoted that, though...

The uploading of files would be free but then I assume they would be archived and this would incur the fee. Should you want your files back you would then need to pay another fee to retrieve them but downloading them after this would be free. You would also be charged to have any data stored destroyed too.

As @OhMyMy said - There IS a calculator on the site and you could always submit a sales ticket or even ask in their IRC channel.

Thank you but seems to be complicated to understand. If I put my cc there will be hard to remove it thats why asking before i sign up.
    Nvm thank you.

• @ithinkyoufailed and @wht - I realized after I posted my comment that @ithinkyoufailed posted something sililar so I deleted mine - sorry

• They have a cost calculator that can help you figure things out. Basically its purpose is to archive a pile of data for long periods without touching it. The storage charge is cheap. Touching the data (uploading, downloading, destroying) costs extra. What I don't know is whether "destroying" is different than ordinary "deleting" and whether there's a deleting (or maybe they could call it abandoning) operation that doesn't cost as much. Destroying sounds like some kind of secure overwrite, while deleting would just be updating a metadata record.

• WHTWHT Member

So for a daily backups is not recommended.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@WHT said:

Depends how much you want to spend.

Thanked by 1willie
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:

@WHT said:

Depends how much you want to spend.

If you want to store large backups for a while (CCTV) for example would be cheap.

• It seems C14 guarantees storage for up to 10 years maximum, with their Enterprise solution. Standard solution is guaranteed up to 6 years.

I would have loved to see Standard guarantee up to 100 years and Enterprise guarantee up to 1000 years. This way I can have something to leave to my grand Grand GRAND sons.

• @default said:
    It seems C14 guarantees storage for up to 10 years maximum, with their Enterprise solution. Standard solution is guaranteed up to 6 years.

I would have loved to see Standard guarantee up to 100 years and Enterprise guarantee up to 1000 years. This way I can have something to leave to my grand Grand GRAND sons.

Thanked by 1Junkless