Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end DDoS protection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end DDoS protection?

JTRJTR Member
edited May 2013 in General

I'm starting to think about restarting my small gameserver. I shut it down last November due to huge issues with DDoS attacks. Other than BuyVM, are there any other providers offering affordable DDoS protection (whose AUP doesn't ban Minecraft/Tekkit)? While most of my old enemies have probably lost interest, one of them is still stalking me and has already threatened to attack the server if it comes back up again.

I'm currently looking at either the 1GB ($23/mo) or 2GB ($43/mo) KVM plans at BuyVM (with DDoS protection), since I've had lots of issues with OpenVZ and Minecraft in the past. Is it possible to beat this price, or is BuyVM the only reasonable option?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

BuyVM is fantastic, took 23gbps, and didn't charge me a penny.

@Francisco is a great dude.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited May 2013

@RobertClarke said: BuyVM is fantastic, took 23gbps, and didn't charge me a penny.

Yeah, I used them last time (then shut down my server directly afterwards due to issues caused indirectly by the months of DDoS attacks, but they did a great job), but I want to investigate my alternatives (if any) too.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

As far as I'm aware, you can filter all traffic on any VPS through a BuyVM filtered IP using gre. Might be worth asking @Francisco and then purchasing a lower cost KVM box elsewhere, whilst getting hold of a low cost OpenVZ VPS from BuyVM and assigning it a filtered IP, then sending all the traffic through the BuyVM box but whilst running Minecraft on the KVM from an alternative provider.

Realistic cost (1GB KVM):
    $7 KVM + $3.50 BuyVM256 + $3 filtered IP = $13.50

Realistic cost (2GB KVM):
    $10 KVM? + $3.50 BuyVM256 + $3 filtered IP = $16.50

Both options are more cost effective and should work without issue as far as I'm aware.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

LiquidHost does it with OpenVZ Seattle, can be done in Texas on KVM too.

$3/month additional on any plan, PM Alex or submit a ticket any he may be able to get you a deal. ;-)

• JTRJTR Member

@liamwithers said: As far as I'm aware, you can filter all traffic on any VPS through a BuyVM filtered IP using gre

I've done that before, but unless your main server is close to BuyVM's servers, there's quite a bit of additional lag. For gaming purposes, it isn't much of a good idea.

@Infinity said: LiquidHost does it with OpenVZ Seattle, can be done in Texas on KVM too.

$3/month additional on any plan, PM Alex or submit a ticket any he may be able to get you a deal. ;-)

Thanks.

• marcmmarcm Member

@JTR - Both BuyVM and LiquidHost provide various methods of DDoS protection and they are good. We have it implemented at the Network level and is provided by our Data Center. I'd say that you have pretty good options.

• JTRJTR Member

@marcm said: @JTR - Both BuyVM and LiquidHost provide various methods of DDoS protection and they are good. We have it implemented at the Network level and is provided by our Data Center. I'd say that you have pretty good options.

What's the max duration/size you can handle?

• marcmmarcm Member

@JTR sent PM.

• neqsteneqste Member

@JTR, @marcm same question