Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does cPanel DNS only works
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does cPanel DNS only works

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited January 2012 in General

How does cPanel DNS only works?
Can you use it for DNS like the GoDaddy DNS stuff?

Example:
i need something.mydomain.com then i can do that with cPanel DNS?

I hope someone knows some stuff about this

Comments

• something.mydomain.com should be an A record as part of the mydomain.com zone, not an entire record itself.

Yes, it can do that. Regular full-version cpanel does the same thing, if you've already got that installed.

• Does cPanel DNSONLY Cost money?
    Because, GoDaddy has the SOPA and i'd like to get my own DNS server

• @joodle said: Does cPanel DNSONLY Cost money?

Because, GoDaddy has the SOPA and i'd like to get my own DNS serve

No, cPanel DNSONLY is free :D

• Wich VPS provider should i choose for a 128MB Ram VPS (Monthly)?

• It does not cost money. DNSONLY requires you to have a functioning full-version cpanel installation somewhere, as DNSONLY only works as a "slave" in part of a cluster. Unless you want to maintain your named.conf and zone files by hand, in which case you'd be better off skipping cpanel DNSONLY and doing it yourself.

There are at least a couple PHP-based dns zone file creator/editors if you'd rather go that route.

• The cPanel DNSONLY has no fee, but you do need at least 1 normal cPanel server to make use of it as intended. The normal cPanel server is your frontend to manage DNS zone files then it pushes changes to the DNSONLY servers.

It is not a stand alone product

• Has anyone tried to run ot without it a full cpanel install? I wonder if you can get it to work without it.

• @dclardy said: Has anyone tried to run ot without it a full cpanel install?

All the overhead, why would anyone want to? It's the cPanel server that pushes the zone files to the DNSONLY boxes. But technically yes, you could just edit zone files manually and reload bind, but if that is what you are going to do, just install bind on a debian box and use a lot less memory.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep