Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Selling 1TB for $7? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone Selling 1TB for $7?

2»

Comments

• exussumexussum Member

@DestroyeRCo said: Some people (including me) would pay $7 for something big and oversold than something small and dedicated.

and when something goes wrong ?

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited May 2013

Meh... just my luck. Been waiting for a similar offer to come along and when it finally does, I spot it too late.

Edit: Then again, I'd probably never be able to fill it all up.

• @exussum said: and when something goes wrong ?

Even when $7 has more value in my country (basic salary is ~$300USD/mo) I know I'm paying for something cheap, and it is the buyer choice to take the risk. I can have another $7 plan with other hosting company, it's kind of weird that both have a failure at the same time.

• exussumexussum Member

@DestroyeRCo said: it's kind of weird that both have a failure at the same time.

The hosting company is more likely to have a failure. When you need a backup everything that can go wrong tends to happen all at once

• We offer storage VPS. Not $7/1TB for sure, as that as said doesn't even cover support costs. Not a 1 man team here.

It's in LA USA at this point but we plan to expand to more locations.

If you need something specific contact sales @ https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php and we'll see what we can do for you.

• marcmmarcm Member

Guys, I have FlagFox installed and as a force of habit (I guess) I tend to click every time I am curious about a web site or a provider that I haven't looked that before. I saw Avante on the AS number and given Avante's previous reputation and Chris K.'s posts on that Florida to Texas server migration I was a bit surprised. That being said I don't think that any of that should reflect on @Fliphost, especially considering that he is using more than one data center.

While $7 for 1TB backup is a steal, I think that even the full price of $29 is cheap. Server Sync is charging $100 for 1TB of Dual Parity RAID-6 backup space. Of course, that is miles away from RAID-5 as far as redundancy is concerned. I prefer RAID-6 over 5, but that's just a personal preference because of dual parity and the ability to use hot spares and rebuilt arrays on the fly (if you have a decent controller of course).

I was curious what happened with Avante Hosting, so I checked out his web site. Looks like he is rebuilding it and probably plans a come back. I just hope that Chris K. learned from his past failures and figured out alternative ways to compete besides undercutting his competition, because that ultimately will hurt him.

• @marcm said: I was curious what happened with Avante Hosting, so I checked out his web site. Looks like he is rebuilding it and probably plans a come back. I just hope that Chris K. learned from his past failures and figured out alternative ways to compete besides undercutting his competition, because that ultimately will hurt him.

They're always around and still around. Just quit LEB/LET VPS is all. Haven't given up.

• marcmmarcm Member

@concerto49 said: They're always around and still around. Just quit LEB/LET VPS is all. Haven't given up.

@concerto49 - I have no problem with them, I just didn't understand at the time why Chris was so focused on competing in the Low End Market.

• Missed that offer.

I really need a couple of 1TB instances

Sometimes OVH have kimsufis at around 12$ with 1TB and much more. I regret not getting more than 2 last time.

http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml

• @BlueVM said: 3 TB drives x 36 in a box. (Cost for just the drives $5400)

3TB drive for $150? Where?!

• Amazon, Newegg

• @serverian said: 3TB drive for $150? Where?!

Thought you're already using it with those prices.

• @concerto49 said: Thought you're already using it with those prices.

Nope. These ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148747

• @serverian It must be low colo cost + low support cost that's the driving factor then. Just pure support staff is a large segment of my costs.

• @concerto49 said: @serverian It must be low colo cost + low support cost that's the driving factor then. Just pure support staff is a large segment of my costs.

Yeah, my partner and I are providing the support.

• @Fliphost said: Fliphost 12:28AM Flag

@BlueVM

Correct it is a one time limited deal I like to do every few months when I have some extra space.

:)

Sounds very much like a marketing sti(u)nt. :)

• GaryGary Member
    edited May 2013

@exussum said: http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/#CompareProducts Slightly more than $7 but they offer 2TB for £7

When paid up-front for 2 years. And then they'll start throttling your speed if you start to use your space. Then your files will randomly become unretrievable.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

On the storage, did you check that the drives are enterprise drives on the raid controller? I know a lot of providers stick desktop drives in the raid controllers, which will result in a complete failure on rebuild down the line.

• @Fliphost said: Ok so its a one time deal, not a "lets do this indefinitely"... I wasn't picking at you I was simply stating that it's going to be hard to find anyone to match that pricing... That said, respect to you and what you're doing.

He does 250Gb for $7 just like BuyVM, this was just a marketing stunt, of course that's oversold

@exussum said: and when something goes wrong ?

It's the host's responsibility to not make that happen by monitorig nodes and adding disks when needed

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I want more 75GB for 16/y!

• exussumexussum Member

@BronzeByte said:
    It's the host's responsibility to not make that happen by monitorig nodes and adding disks when needed

I agree, But i dont trust the host to get everything right. I have backups in at least 2 places of all things that are important.