Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Western Australia VPSs for $20 AUD or less?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Western Australia VPSs for $20 AUD or less?

Looking for a WA Perth located VPS for hosting game servers mainly, though I could use it for something else as well if I have resources to spare on it....

Or if there aren't any, what's the least cost VPS that exist in WA? If the least cost is almost the cost of the least priced full dedicated server, well then I may as well go get myself a full blown dedicated server, now won't I? haha

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

How much bandwidth do you need in Perth? Traffic is more expensive than over East.

Some options that kinda fall within your budget: iiNet VPS

Zettagrid (Perth zone).

Webinabox/Hostaway -cheapest via Cloud.net (OnApp)

Dedicated would be cheaper by going with ServersAustralia (PerthIX).

You can try a provider in DCWest.

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

Ooops, forgot to add that is $20 AUD per month or less.

@deployvm said:

How much bandwidth do you need in Perth? Traffic is more expensive here than over East.

um, do you mean port speed? Like megabit, gigabit connection? Or traffic allowance, like 100GB per month or something?

I'm guessing traffic allowance per month, aye? Well I'm won't be using it to be as a download service, so I don't think I will even use up 100GB per month in that above example....so I guess any amount is enough..... though I haven't actually measured how much this particular game server will use up per month.....so I'm not sure on how much traffic allowance I need..... :/

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

trjhx said: Or traffic allowance, like 100GB per month or something I'm guessing traffic allowance per month, aye?

Yeah, traffic allowance.

Cheapest I know for now is $13.70 USD.
    https://www.cloud.net/servers/create?cpu=1&mem=512&disk=20&index=0&uptime=0&id=102

You can even pay per hour. They're a partner of Hostaway.

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

@deployvm said:

Some options that kinda fall within your budget: iiNet VPS

ok, emailed iiNet about their VPS service, hopefully will hear back from them.

@deployvm said:

Zettagrid (Perth zone).

Wow, $68.85 for a windows VPS in Perth: https://account.zettagrid.com/catalog/product/configure/230/3 and that's the with everything on stock, except operating system set to Win2k8 Web?!

@deployvm said:

Webinabox/Hostaway -cheapest via Cloud.net (OnApp)

Is that this that you had in your last comment:

@deployvm said:

Dedicated would be cheaper by going with ServersAustralia (PerthIX).

Hmm, looks like their cheapest ready-to-go dedicated located in Perth is $289 a month: https://www.serversaustralia.com.au/dedicated-servers.php

@deployvm said:

You can try a provider in DCWest.

These are the guys right: https://www.dcwest.net.au/contact-us/ ? Well I emailed them as they're closed right now, so I hopefully I'll hear back from them.

@deployvm said:

Hmmm, alright.....definitely be under $20 AUD a month....... $13.70 USD ~ $18.27 AUD....not sure if 512MB will be okay for my game servers.......the rest seems to be okay.....except operating system, I am more familiar with windows and I am not sure how to run my game servers under linux.....and even if there were instructions for them, the last time I touched a linux distro(which was a few years ago) - it was a pain in the ass to just install and operate an antivirus program so I could scan my HDDs!

• You don't need antivirus on Linux if your system is locked down good enough, Sydney and Melbourne are most likely going to be your best bet if you're looking for low cost KVM VPSs, check http://vultr.com out for instance, they have a Sydney location and offer Windows and custom ISO and it can't be more than 60ms or less from Perth

• I believe @oliver of RansomIT has servers in Adelaide, https://ransomit.com.au/vps. Not sure if any better connection than Syd/Melb though,

Thanked by 1trewq
  • What's the game?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bohdans said:
    I believe @oliver of RansomIT has servers in Adelaide, https://ransomit.com.au/vps. Not sure if any better connection than Syd/Melb though,

I would just see what @Oliver can do for you
    While not in Perth, Adelaide should be acceptable.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I don't allow game servers in Adelaide. Melbourne or Sydney would be fine. Thanks for the mentions.

Thanked by 2trewq bohdans
  • trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the replies guys! ☺

@ethancedrik said:
    You don't need antivirus on Linux if your system is locked down good enough, Sydney and Melbourne are most likely going to be your best bet if you're looking for low cost KVM VPSs, check http://vultr.com out for instance, they have a Sydney location and offer Windows and custom ISO and it can't be more than 60ms or less from Perth

That's if my system is locked down good enough, I don't even know if my system at the time was locked down good enough. Actually, going off topic, what is a good enough lock down as I'm now curious?

I wanted to scan my files and folders FIRST before sending them off to a windows computer where those dormant malware/viruses will become active again because you know, windows viruses and malware don't work in linux environment....which is the sole reason why I chose to work with linux at the time......and now I discovered the cold hard truth of about maintaining them........the nightmares.....the fail execution of commndline operations just to do simple tasks such as the one mentioned above, even though they are typed correctly.....

Try about 80 to 100 ms(hovers around there) from Perth to Sydney for me. I don't have luxury performance FTTB or FTTP connections like you guys.......Australia's internet is bad as they say it is, and I am one of those said people on the average of 1MB/s down line and a 72KB/s up line on ADSL2+....I feel sorry for those whose got worse download and upload speeds than mine and more latency..... :( And if I did, and it was decent enough and that my computer was also decent enough, I might have actually just gone and do a home server than go out the way to rent a place outside to do the hosting for me.....heh....

@bohdans said:
    I believe @oliver of RansomIT has servers in Adelaide, https://ransomit.com.au/vps. Not sure if any better connection than Syd/Melb though,

Well it's closer, so I should get better reception....

@ATHK said:
    What's the game?

Well for the time being, I will be hosting a couple or so Killing Floor (KF1) servers, I know it's an old game, but I still love it to bits - clocked in about 2k hrs according to steam and still counting! ^_^ But in future if I have enough resources to spare which I'll find out(if I feel server-side lag, well there's the limit I just hit hehe), I will host other game servers.....maybe Killing Floor 2 (KF2) if I like it enough.....or a Starbound server for my sister and I to play together in.....or even MineCraft!

Well anyways, according to a friend, the server can(and might) use up to 640MB, or even more depending on the map it's played on(apparently)...which is why I had a worry about the 512MB ram limit.... Plus I wanted to host a couple of them(or even more, but couple for now if I don't have the resources to spare for more), not just one if I can, so that's double the ram count.....not to mention the operating system itself might be taking a chunk out of that too......

Oh yeah, forgot to add it, iiNet got back to me and they no longer do VPS services, but cloud. I asked if this was still fine for game hosting or and overkill and they said yes it would be, but it might be overkill as I mentioned and said if I really need a cloud to run a game server or two.... So do I need a cloud to run a game server or two? Or not necessary? And so I should decline? Also they said I need a knowledgeable admin to monitor the service, am I knowledgeable enough or do I need an actual admin tech who knows their stuff to monitor this stuff?

• Normally with games it's the CPU that's the killer, honestly though it all depends.

Before diving I just check around for threads of people in your situation they'll give you a good idea about the resource usages.

• What would be the latency to Sydney and SG from your place Just asking if they would be a viable options

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Perth to Singapore and Sydney is similar I think, but relying on Singapore is unwise because the cable between Singapore and Perth seems to have an uptime of about 90% over the last 3 years. Indonesian fishing anchors are an ongoing threat... :-)

• trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

@simonindia said:

What would be the latency to Sydney and SG from your place Just asking if they would be a viable options

trjhx said: Try about 80 to 100 ms(hovers around there) from Perth to Sydney for me.

What's SG?

• edited January 2017

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What would be the latency to Sydney and SG from your place Just asking if they would be a viable options

trjhx said: Try about 80 to 100 ms(hovers around there) from Perth to Sydney for me.

What's SG?

Singapore.

For me (I live in Perth, too) it's typically around 200ms to my Singapore NAT @i83 box.

EDIT: Just checked, it averages at 291ms after a few moments pinging.

• @trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Sorry

SG=Singapore and HK= (Hong Kong)

ping this one for SG mirror.sg.leaseweb.net

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited January 2017

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Singapore.

For me (I live in Perth, too) it's typically around 200ms to my Singapore NAT @i83 box.

to leaseweb and Vultr , linode

sgp-ping.vultr.com
    mirror.sg.leaseweb.net
    speedtest.singapore.linode.com

• @Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Singapore.

Oh.

Why do you connect to servers over there when there could be servers in AUS? Or this particular game doesn't have any AUS servers?

@simonindia said:

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Sorry

SG=Singapore and HK= (Hong Kong)

ping this one for SG mirror.sg.leaseweb.net

Cool, ok so I pinged that via cmd and it results an average of 417ms.............................................

• @simonindia said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Singapore.

sgp-ping.vultr.com
    mirror.sg.leaseweb.net

Vultr: 288ms
    Leaseweb: 237ms
    Linode: 209ms

Tested on Telstra cable.

• @trjhx said:
    Why do you connect to servers over there when there could be servers in AUS? Or this particular game doesn't have any AUS servers?

Because I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't like paying the premium for Australian hosting ;)

• trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

@Dextronox said:

@simonindia said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:
    @simonindia said:

What's SG?

Singapore.

sgp-ping.vultr.com
    mirror.sg.leaseweb.net

Vultr: 288ms
    Leaseweb: 237ms
    Linode: 209ms

Tested on Telstra cable.

Vultr: 278 average
    leaseweb: 417 average
    Linode: 252 average

Tested on TPG ADSL2+

• @trjhx @Dextronox try pinging using this and see if any thing user 100ms

• trjhxtrjhx Member
    edited January 2017

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

Because I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't like paying the premium for Australian hosting ;)

Ooooohhhhhhhhh, you hosted your game server in Singapore?! Wow........hahahaha yep, you're more of a cheap bastard then me; but I look at the performance as well as being cheap, rather than full blown cheap....

Too bad I'm no masochist.......can't stand stand more than 100 ping even.....I can stand up to 300 if the connection is stable and that there is ZERO games going on in AUS at the moment that I want, and that I am really really really desperate for a game or two or three or however many it takes to fill my lust, then yeah I go join an overseas server...

• @trjhx said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

Ooooohhhhhhhhh, you hosted your game server in Singapore?! Wow........hahahaha yep, you're more of a cheap bastard then me; but I look at the performance as well as being cheap, rather than full blown cheap....

Good heavens no, I was referring to VPSs rather than game servers. I'm the same, anything about 100ms and I start pulling my hair out. Sadly to Sydney it's 60-70, which doesn't leave that much room for offshore game server hosting. I was just chiming in to help with pings to SG, as I have a few servers over there.

• @simonindia said:
    @trjhx @Dextronox try pinging using this and see if any thing user 100ms

Try pinging what?

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

Good heavens no, I was referring to VPSs rather than game servers. I'm the same, anything about 100ms and I start pulling my hair out. Sadly to Sydney it's 60-70, which doesn't leave that much room for offshore game server hosting. I was just chiming in to help with pings to SG, as I have a few servers over there.

But you would host your game servers on the VPS and therefore you would have the same latency, no?

So you have a few KF1(or VPS) servers over in Singapore, eh?

• @trjhx said:

@simonindia said:

Try pinging what?

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

But you would host your game servers on the VPS and therefore you would have the same latency, no?

You would have the same latency, correct. I personally do not host public game servers offshore if that is what you're asking. The servers I was referring to do other jobs.

• @trjhx said:

@simonindia said:

Try pinging what?

http://ping.pe

• @Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

@simonindia said:

Try pinging what?

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

@Dextronox said:

@trjhx said:

You would have the same latency, correct. I personally do not host public game servers offshore if that is what you're asking. The servers I was referring to do other jobs.

Hahaha okay, I thought you hosted public servers offshore as that was what I interpreted it as....

@simonindia said:

@trjhx said:

@simonindia said:

Try pinging what?

http://ping.pe

Ok, pinged ping.pe and got an average of 21ms....great, where's this server located; it's even better than the one I am currently hosting it on(which I get slightly higher of around 28 to 32)?! I want to host my KF1 server on this service! Hahahaha ...wait actually, before I do this, need to know the cost of setup and renting..............what is it? :P

• You have to say which location or Pm your IP to me to suggest

• @simonindia said:
    You have to say which location or Pm your IP to me to suggest

Huh? Perth WA.....? It's the location I am after, as long as it's anywhere in Perth, WA state; or you were asking about something else?