Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any free/opensource google drive alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any free/opensource google drive alternative?

taronyutaronyu Member
edited May 2013 in General

I'm using gmail however I don't like the fact that google can access all my files without my permission. (I'm not suprised if they do that 'to give me better ads'. Today is the first time I started using google drive because Word is screwing me up. But I think it is much better to always use it. Always got my files with me whatever is going to happen.

Comments

• wilbowilbo Member

ownCloud maybe?

• taronyutaronyu Member

Does owncloud got its own editor?

• @taronyu said: Always got my files with me whatever is going to happen.

A pretty nice sized KVM desktop, like Debian XFCE4, with a domain name that is easy to remember and a portable VNC client on a USB thumb drive works for me.

I actually have a "play desktop" with Facebook and other crap in a location away from me (I love all the geotargeted ads) and my "work desktop" which is a Windows Server 2008 dedicated server.

If I want to goof off, I log out of work and login to play. If I need to get back to work, I log out of play and log back into work :)

• taronyutaronyu Member

@doughmanes said: A pretty nice sized KVM desktop, like Debian XFCE4, with a domain name that is easy to remember and a portable VNC client on a USB thumb drive works for me.

I actually have a "play desktop" with Facebook and other crap in a location away from me (I love all the geotargeted ads) and my "work desktop" which is a Windows Server 2008 dedicated server.

If I want to goof off, I log out of work and login to play. If I need to get back to work, I log out of play and log back into work :)

i'm a student so I don't need it that advanced. But I had many times that I did something at home and couldn't continue at school or the other way around. Having my files with me is good enough :)

I got my phone for facebook :P

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Owncloud.

• taronyutaronyu Member

@shovenose said: Owncloud.

@taronyu said: Does owncloud got its own editor?

• TimTim Member
    edited May 2013

Look into Bitcasa Infinite Drive or BT SyncApp. Bitcasa resells Amazon S3 storage and has apps that integrate with Windows Explorer/OS X Finder/and Linux (still in beta). You can also sideload stuff from the internet into your Bitcasa drive if you use Chrome. It uses client-side AES 256 (albeit convergent encryption) encryption and is generally a good service. It doesn't have it's own editor (like Google Drive) but you can modify the local copy in LibreOffice or w/e and it will sync the changes back to the cloud storage.

I have not tested BT SyncApp as much as Bitcasa, but so far it is probably my favorite. Using the bittorrent protocol, you can pretty much create your own cloud storage which would likely be ideal since you are (understandably) worried about your data being on others' servers. You'll have to provide your own cloud storage though in the form of a VPS or some other offsite storage with an always on internet connection.

Both options put no artificial restrictions on the amount of data or bandwidth usage.

If you want a hosted solution with an editor 'in the cloud' your only other option besides Google Drive is probably Microsoft SkyDrive (or maybe Zoho but I'm not sure there).

Hope it helps.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited May 2013

@taronyu said: Does owncloud got its own editor?

It has a simple/basic plain text editor...
    Maybe there's something to your liking here: http://apps.owncloud.com/

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

If you just want to have your files with you, then any file syncing solution works, and then use your favorite desktop editor.

• It may be overkill but, I remember looking into Feng Office. However, it's more like a collaboration suite but, it appears to have the features similar to Google Drive.

http://www.fengoffice.com/web/community/downloads.php