Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu or CentOS for KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu or CentOS for KVM?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited May 2013 in General

I'm setting up a dedicated server where I will virtualize a couple of machines via KVM.

I haven't worked with KVM before and primarily work with CentOS.

My question is:
Is KVM easier to setup on Ubuntu or CentOS?
The OS choice for the host doesn't really matter to me as long as it's easy to configure.

What are you thoughts?
Thanks for your time!

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

CentOS is pretty easy. I have never tried it on Ubuntu though.

Plus, if you have any problems, I think personally it will be easier to troubleshoot if you have centos, as many people use it.

• krokro Member

Look at any guides, its just a few commands to install the packages required for each distro.
    Configuring it is the same on both I'm fairly sure.

• EvixoEvixo Member

If you just want it easy, I'd say go with CentOS (as that's the OS you primary work with).

If you want something fresh and new to learn, go with Ubuntu (or Debian).

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Debian or Ubuntu is usually what I use for my VPS's.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited May 2013

If you want it easy, I'd say go with Ubuntu. It's easier than CentOS and there's a lot to find on the web about it (also because it's based on Debian). There's a lot of information on askubuntu.com. But if you're used to CentOS, you'll probably know your way around and be fine with that.

• Use Debian 7

• RalliasRallias Member

More people use Ubuntu.

@doughmanes Did they ever fix the damn bug where IT'S FUCKING PISS DIFFICULT TO FIGURE OUT? Also, old kernel.

• @Rallias said: @doughmanes Did they ever fix the damn bug where IT'S FUCKING PISS DIFFICULT TO FIGURE OUT?

Yeah that bug...

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Use CentOS and KVM fine without problem

some web hosts even have guides for this https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=44

• NevilNevil Member

Newest Ubuntu or CentOS 6 with a new 3.4.xx KVM kernel that supports a lot of sweet stuff :P.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited May 2013

@rsk said: CentOS is pretty easy. I have never tried it on Ubuntu though.

What.. you mean on KVM? :P

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

I'd say Debian 7 ;)

• CoreyCorey Member

I would use Debian 7 as well :)