Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated storage server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated storage server

edited January 2017 in Requests

Hi all, I'm interested in renting a dedicated server with the following specs:

Disk Space: 4TB minimum

Bandwidth: 100Mbps minimum, unlimited traffic

RAM or number of cores is not very important to me; it will only be used to store files and host something like OwnCloud to access them. If you have good deals with more or less disk space, I'll also be interested (say 1TB to 12TB).

Comments

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited January 2017

A recent thread
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/101394/dedicated-2x2tb-europe

You should specify your budget though.

oneprovider: Intel Xeon L3426 2 x 2 TB €25.00

soyoustart: Intel N2800 Atom 2 x 2 TB €25.00 (excl/ vat)

soyoustart: Cortex A9 ARMv7 2 x 2 TB €20.00 (excl/ vat)

^ARM package is not really good, which you should search for another thread here.

Thanked by 1dennisschwartz
  • Thanks, those options look very interesting. That price range is exactly what I'm looking for.

I couldn't find the oneprovider one you mentioned, which location is it in? The closest to what I'm looking for was Intel Xeon E3-1231v3, 1x2TB in Milano for 39 EUR.

^ARM package is not really good, which you should search for another thread here.

What do you mean, are you saying that ARM servers are undesirable in general?

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited January 2017

@dennisschwartz said:
    Thanks, those options look very interesting. That price range is exactly what I'm looking for.

I couldn't find the oneprovider one you mentioned, which location is it in? The closest to what I'm looking for was Intel Xeon E3-1231v3, 1x2TB in Milano for 39 EUR.

Paris. (By the way, Paris servers are hosted in online.net's network.) This is also the location where all cheapest servers can be found in oneprovider.

What do you mean, are you saying that ARM servers are undesirable in general?

This.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/85275/soyoustart-arm-packages/p1

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

High performance storage, 100% Local SSD 4TB with 32GB Ram and a few dedicated cores. $140/m

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited January 2017

@pbgben said:
    High performance storage, 100% Local SSD 4TB with 32GB Ram and a few dedicated cores. $140/m

That arm package's network looked like even slower than kimsufi. If it's changed, please tell me.

Personally, I just need a 2x2TB kimsufi-ish server.~100Mbps(limited bandwidth is okay), CPU enough to sustain https/scp traffic. Not really asking that MUCH speed for this price point, or for storage server.

(I know time4vps, but no openvz, thanks.)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

We have the following configuration:

Green G3900

Intel celeron G3900

8 Gb

4 Tb

100 mbits unmetered

34.95$/mo

Looking glass : lg.ikoula.com

Order link

• pbgben said:

What?? Does that say 4TB of pure SSD? What kind of drives? What's the whole machine configuration and what do you mean "a few dedicated cores" if the product is a dedi? Is it a VPS? It's fine if it is, that's still a shocking offer.

@willie said:

pbgben said:

What?? Does that say 4TB of pure SSD? What kind of drives? What's the whole machine configuration and what do you mean "a few dedicated cores" if the product is a dedi? Is it a VPS? It's fine if it is, that's still a shocking offer.

Yes, PURE SSD, made up of 500GB enterprise SSD's, each 1TB comes with TWO 500GB SSD's just for you and a dedicated E5 2620 core. (4TB = 4cores and 8*500GB SSD's)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

pbgben said: (4TB = 4cores and 8*500GB SSD's)

Do I understand you are offering that for $140/m? That sounds too good to be true.

Added: is there an order link?

Also added: Scaleway has 50GB/euro up to 1 TB (20 euro/TB) but I wonder if that involves massive oversell.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

layfon said: but no openvz

Why not? Do you need custom linux kernel settings or modules?

• edited January 2017

@time4vps Do you guys offer any unmetered bandwidth plans? That's the only thing I'm missing from your offer...

Also, what is the transfer speed.

@willie said:

pbgben said: (4TB = 4cores and 8*500GB SSD's)

Do I understand you are offering that for $140/m? That sounds too good to be true.

Added: is there an order link?

Also added: Scaleway has 50GB/euro up to 1 TB (20 euro/TB) but I wonder if that involves massive oversell.

Its our introductory pricing, we're guaging whether anyone is interested in such a high io storage offer ($35/TB/Month) almost a total of 1M IOPS per server.

• pbgben said: Its our introductory pricing, we're guaging whether anyone is interested in such a high io storage offer ($35/TB/Month) almost a total of 1M IOPS per server.

Holy cow, that is amazing. But the E5-2620 is a 6 core cpu, so if the offer is 4 cores then it's not a dedi. Is it really 4 threads of a 12 thread or 24 thread system? I think it's way outside the range OP wanted, but verrry interesting for some other types of purposes. I can't use it right now but have been involved in projects where I definitely would have wanted it (used AWS servers at least 10x as expensive instead) and very plausibly could want something like it in the future (e.g. for running a search engine like before). So I'm not an immediate prospect but definitely would like to see more such offers. Thanks!

@willie said:

pbgben said: Its our introductory pricing, we're guaging whether anyone is interested in such a high io storage offer ($35/TB/Month) almost a total of 1M IOPS per server.

Holy cow, that is amazing. But the E5-2620 is a 6 core cpu, so if the offer is 4 cores then it's not a dedi. Is it really 4 threads of a 12 thread or 24 thread system? I think it's way outside the range OP wanted, but verrry interesting for some other types of purposes. I can't use it right now but have been involved in projects where I definitely would have wanted it (used AWS servers at least 10x as expensive instead) and very plausibly could want something like it in the future (e.g. for running a search engine like before). So I'm not an immediate prospect but definitely would like to see more such offers. Thanks!

I agree, I should stop Hijacking this OP's thread. Sorry OP :P

The node is a dual CPU, cores are dedicated as in you get to use your KVM at 100%.

• @pbgben said:

@willie said:

pbgben said: Its our introductory pricing, we're guaging whether anyone is interested in such a high io storage offer ($35/TB/Month) almost a total of 1M IOPS per server.

The node is a dual CPU, cores are dedicated as in you get to use your KVM at 100%.

Threads oversold like wishosting, or dedicated as buyvm (15 usd plan and up)?

@teamacc said:

@pbgben said:

@willie said:

Dual 6core/12Thread CPUs on a 12TB server, 12Cores 24Threads total. So Dedicated as in buyVM

• pbgben said:

Dual 6core/12Thread CPUs on a 12TB server, 12Cores 24Threads total. So Dedicated as in buyVM

How about putting that up as an actual dedi: 96gb ram, 2xe5-2620, 12tb ssd, around $500. Might be even more interesting with more ram. It's hard to find monstrous ssd servers like that. Is there hardware raid?

@willie said:

pbgben said:

How about putting that up as an actual dedi: 96gb ram, 2xe5-2620, 12tb ssd, around $500. Might be even more interesting with more ram. It's hard to find monstrous ssd servers like that. Is there hardware raid?

This is possible, but people tend to go down the route of colocation when a monthly server is that high. The plan is to split it up into manageable chunks that can be used by those with high IO requirements.

LSI Hardware RAID controller. (R0 can push 4.5GB/s)

• pbgben said: The plan is to split it up into manageable chunks that can be used by those with high IO requirements.

From my perspective it would be better to split the hw into multiple smaller dedis than into vps's. Colo gets interesting at a bigger scale but probably not at $500 a month. Who wants to go wrangling boxes in and out of data centers when they can just pay a little more and get a server with a few clicks (or even an API call)? Especially if reaching the DC involves getting on a plane. The place I where worked spent around $100K/month on AWS back then, though they've economized some by now.

Can you reveal the make and model of the SSD's? 12TB of enterprise SSD = at least $6K I'd expect. So it takes a year of rentals just to recover the disk cost, quite long for the hosting industry. I wouldn't think of dealing with colo vs. an offer like that.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed

@willie said:

pbgben said: The plan is to split it up into manageable chunks that can be used by those with high IO requirements...

Can you reveal the make and model of the SSD's? 12TB of enterprise SSD = at least $6K I'd expect. So it takes a year of rentals just to recover the disk cost, quite long for the hosting industry. I wouldn't think of dealing with colo vs. an offer like that.

We have the option to go with a superserver with 12Dedicated servers per 3U of space.

This would allow each customer to have dedicated hardware (Minus shared resources like power and uplink) but would not allow them to benefit from the storage/performance scaling, and it would cost more, close to double.

Using KVM virtualization we can dedicate resources to a customer and impose limits to ensure a stable and cost effective solution, with the benefit of being able to expand upto 12TB~ of space if needed.

SSD's are Samsung PRO series, they are not the top end of enterprise like Intel but do the job well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

dennisschwartz said: Do you guys offer any unmetered bandwidth plans?

Unfortunately no, but our bandwidth allotment is very generous.

dennisschwartz said: Also, what is the transfer speed.

400 Mbps per single instance.

• YuraYura Member
    edited January 2017

@teamacc said:

@exception0x876 and active clients of his dedicated cpu service might want to chime in.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Yura said:

@teamacc said:

@exception0x876 and active clients of his dedicated cpu service might want to chime in.

Thanks, but the CPU core with our packages is not dedicated. Just the usage is unrestricted. Most of the times you won't find a difference.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@willie said:

pbgben said:

Here you go https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-st12-ssd