Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with high Single Core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with high Single Core

A friend wants to calc some node.js apps for couple hours and needs high single core power. What are the best (hourly priced) budget vps for this? How much of a core does DO/Vultr offer?

Comments

• Vultr is great, they sometimes deploy you on a server with 3.6Ghz but sometimes you're getting deployed on a 2.xGhz server. AMS usually has 3.6Ghz.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

Why not check the BuyVM E3 slices from @Francisco ?

Mine is on E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited January 2017

@Oliver said:

Yeah these are good as well.

• @Oliver said:

Oh lol I thought they were at 2ghz :O
    Anyway I once got into an Argument with Aldyric so not sure if I will be having that option haha ;D

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Not an answer to the question, but it's really not a good idea to use JS for computationally intensive tasks...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2017

While not exactly what you're looking for (In terms of hourly billing), we have a new line in Florida, which comes with dedicated CPU @2.67GHz/3GHz turbo (1c, 4GB RAM,2TB BW, 50GB RAID10 HDD, KVM @ 6.50 euros per month).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Oliver said: Why not check the BuyVM E3 slices from @Francisco ?

They are billed monthly, and to be sure of high single core power, you need the 8gb 2 thread one which is possibly overkill for this task.

• Ympker said:

A friend wants to calc some node.js apps for couple hours and needs high single core power. What are the best (hourly priced) budget vps for this? How much of a core does DO/Vultr offer?

If it's just a few hours, the most powerful is probably the OVH HG-7 which is 3.1 ghz dedicated vcores, but rather outside of LET pricing at 9.3 cents an hour ($34/month):

https://www.ovh.com/us/cloud/instances/prices.xml

Cheap cloud hosting like Vultr is iffy: you sometimes can get a whole core to yourself, but you are subject to noisy neighbors. They have dedicated instances too (comparable price to OVH) but they don't specify ghz.

If your task can parallelize (run multiple scripts simultaneously) the Scaleway x86 dedis are about the best deal for raw cpu cycles, but they are slow single cores (8 core Atom).

What's the application if I can ask?

Thanked by 1Ympker