Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CDN For CSS and JS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CDN For CSS and JS

bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
edited May 2013 in General

Would anyone be interested in a CDN built on the Rackspace and Amazon CDN to host css and js files?

Initially I would put up the bootstrap and boilerplate files and then expand it so users could upload files.

I was thinking about making this a free service initially and then the custom files would be more once I added that feature.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited May 2013

Well, most of the ones I see are so complicated/bloated. I was thinking of something extremely simple like bootstrapcdn.com/ except it would allow a private files section that would integrate into a some form of all in one hosting management control panel with the CDN and file management built in.

The control panel would probably hosted on ones own server so that I wouldn't have to store their private keys/API info/passwords.

The control panel would control a domain and all the services related and have a way to plug in all the services from all the different companies in one place.

Ex. Cloudflare DNS, Rackspace/S3 CDN, Hosting management of some form.

• flyfly Member

oh, cdnjs is complicated and bloated? thats... news to me

• @bcarlsonmedia I know this may seem like a trollin', But most professional firms end up divulging to local hosting
    That being said and in consideration of the potential performance boosts of self hosted CDN, I would be more interested in a solution that assisted with said self hosted solution for the CDN. Not to say your idea is bad at all, it's actually pretty similar to that. I would at least consider making it a cloud based solution storing aforementioned configurations that one can use to "build" their self hosted CDN through their server.
    Perhaps based on distro, THAT's where optimization could be tailored, caching mechanisms etc, My two cents.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

No, cdnjs is not bloated, it's just not super easy to add your own content. I know a lot of web designers who don't know how to push using git and yet they get annoyed by having to work with S3, I just am trying to simplify the process of working on a new site.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@natestamm - So basically a control panel to control a whole bunch of servers in a cdn group that allows one to upload a file from a page or application and have it automatically push to all the servers?

I've considered this, it just seems to me that going with multiple cdn's and distributing through those would be more beneficial because theirs already have geographically dispersed servers with good uplinks that would allow extremely fast load times no matter where you are in the world.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

A peer to peer CDN would be cool :)

• @bcarlsonmedia Yes and in more ways just the feel of that panel blended with your idea. I think you're on a good track here TBH if you get serious with it. Jut spit ballin some ideas. Anxious to see what comes next!

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Well, I got the scratch panel done. It's based off the bluevm serverstatus template for now. Just doing scratch stuff.

@natestamm Thanks! I'm excited to get to work on this, I've been looking for a good coding project for a while so this should do just fine!