Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best solution for daily backups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best solution for daily backups?

Hello, I'm looking for the best option for my daily database backups. I have been using Hetzner storage boxes for a while but I would like something cheaper with more storage.

I know there are some great offers from a few cloud providers, 1TB free and similar. But I need FTP access. My database is 2GB and I like to store backups for a few months.

Would like to have 500GB-1TB. So please share if you have something interesting. Budget: under $5 montly.

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2017

I'm sure you are aware of Time4VPS storage offers, for example. Just install some kind of FTP server and that's it.

500GB storage KVM in LA for about $4/m (annual payment) from @tragic https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2003922/#Comment_2003922

As for complete FTP like storage solutions, Hetzner is probably the cheapest one.

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • I know it's not what you were asking for but Look into borgbackup, If you gzip the files first then you'll probably need to use the "rsyncable" option when you create them (so a small change doesn't lead to a massively different file)

I find the --chunker-params 10,23,16,4095 param to borg works very nicely with VM's but you might have to play with it a bit for DB dumps.

What I'd probably consider is keeping the latest backups in the original format and then archiving the older stuff with borg.

If as I suspect where you are dumping a 2GB DB but most of that is the same data as the previous backup then borg will save you a Ton of space

• VortexNode (@VortexMagnus) has some Atom dedicated servers for $60/year. I think you get 500 GB HDD.

You can use rsync or BackupPC for incremental backups.

• imok said: I think you get 500 GB HDD.

Supposed to be 250 GB but many people report to have a 500 or 640GB HDD.

• Look into synching for backing up snapshots

• Amazon Glacier, premium Cloud Drives (MS, Google, Drop/box) or even home NAS (have 6Tb RAID5 omv3 on my homelab), keep full VPS for storage only is overkill.

• Maybe look into Kimsufi, you don't get redundancy but you can get some good space for cheap, I have a few of the small servers and in different DC's so that i have a copy on each one.

• I will order and see. How many users are sharing?

• I agree with AlexMS and I'm a hosting company. :-) However, if money is no object then by all means I'll sell a VPS server.

• Wicked said: How many users are sharing?

what do you meen ?

• Wicked said: My database is 2GB and I like to store backups for a few months. ... Would like to have 500GB-1TB.

I wonder whether you could store differential backups instead of completely dumping your db every day. Maybe you could dump every day, and have a weekly or monthly automated task that compressed that week or month's dumps into a single full dump and a bunch of incremental ones. That would save a lot of space while allowing restoring a snapshot from any day during the save period. Or maybe you could compress and store the db update log with occasional snapshots, instead of so many full snapshots.