Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a new question for LEN domain auctioneers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got a new question for LEN domain auctioneers

natestammnatestamm Member
edited May 2013 in Help

If I have a buyer for a domain I am selling that is with an older / Not as well known Registrar
Do I need to give the EPP key to the buyer once it is requested? I want to avoid any mistakes here, I know so far that the buyer needs the key to initiate the transfer, In this case I am assuming after they purchase
the transfer from their registrar also.
Don't know that I have a simple push available to me with my current Registrar as the owner.

Comments

• At least I think the buyer needs the key to initiate the transfer. If I initiate an actual transfer Registrar to another one
    My FAQ info is all telling me in that case the Registrant contact gets the key which I'm thinking why do I need it
    Unless to give it to a new Registrar for transfer which all of them say is needed,
    Obviously I have never done this before
    One of my goals was pre thirty years to own 100 domains and 100 acres of Real property, Former I way over shot. Any help much appreciated!

• BK_BK_ Member

I'm not one hundred percent sure on what you're asking, but in a nutshell:

Pushing a domain (Registrar A to Registrar A)
    No EPP required, depends on the registrar as to how you do this. Some have an automated system where you just enter in the details and it gets queued, others require a ticket into support with the account info of the owner and buyer.

Transferring (Registrar A to Registrar B)
    Generally speaking, if the domain is currently at Registrar A, you would unlock the domain and get the EPP code from Registrar A and give it to the buyer once you have an agreement in place/once payment has been received. The buyer will then use the code at Registrar B to transfer the domain. Some registrars (when purchasing a transfer) get the code AFTER the transfer price has been paid, others require it DURING the checkout process.

Hopefully this answers your question. If not, please let me know :P

• @BK_ Pretty much wraps it up I wasn't sure if 1) Was Ok to give the code although I understood it is required for transfer and 2) If I needed to change Whois or registrant info on the domain prior to the buyer using said code.
    I could swear I read some where some thing that when the one transferring the domain, in this case the buyer (this would be a Registrar A to Registrar B scenario) uses said code, their name must match domain contact.

In honor of your helpful reply and my lack of knowledge I give you the above funny video, for no real reason at all.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited May 2013

@natestamm said: 2) If I needed to change Whois or registrant info on the domain prior to the buyer using said code.

Be careful when changing domain whois info. Some registrars (e.g. Godaddy) do not allow domain transfer to another registrar within 60 days of whois info change. Not sure if it's ICANN rules or not. Make sure you read current registrar policy.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@DalComp Thanks for the tip I am a pretty honest guy at heart I would work with any buyer and have even considered some domain selling Escrow services already Just ya know starting to hate letting registration lapse when I have some good names to see into the right hands.
    I have to laugh what used to be good deals a few years ago are now like premium names that go for some decently good $.
    It truly isn't the money that I'm interested in just putting names out there and getting creative thoughts flowing--Never know what some one might want to do beyond just SEO and revenue generation and such, to be honest.