Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use Gigatux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use Gigatux?

GaryGary Member
edited May 2013 in General

Now might be a good time to make sure your backups are up to date. I hope not, but it looks like one of their servers might be taking a holiday.

http://redd.it/1dmznd

Comments

• edited May 2013

So, the SilkRoad was running at GigaTux? Is that what this is all about? (Sorry, busy, just skimmed the Reddit post)

I used to have a GigaTux VPS. They bought out an old company of mine a couple years ago and I had them add a VPS to the money I sold for.

Thanks for the headsup though. I don't think I'd want the SilkRoad as a neighbor on a node my VPS resided on. Gooberments aren't good at only taking down the sites in question, they'll take the entire fuckin' rack which may have servers from multiple companies on it.

• GaryGary Member

It looks like it, yes.

• GallaeahoGallaeaho Member
    edited May 2013

To answer some questions and alleviate concerns:

1) Yes, the IP address belongs to GigaTux. It does not, however, belong to a VPS node, but rather to one of our dedicated servers.
    2) We encourage our customers to take backups wherever necessary. VPS customers should not be concerned.
    3) GigaTux never intentionally hosted this hidden Tor service.
    4) Concerned customers may open a ticket with support if they have additional questions.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2013

@Gallaeaho said: 3) GigaTux never intentionally hosted this hidden Tor service. We are looking into this.

I would not recommend that, you are operating under an EU business and are bound to EU data security, even mounting a HDD is likely illegal for you.
    (Besides this, as it is not visible from the outside and a hidden tor service is not traceable, you should not care at all actually)

• Indeed. We're respecting all applicable laws, so the most that we can do at this time is truthfully identify the customer in question. I'll scratch that last part out since we really can't do much else at the moment.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Jack said: @William what's going on with your case? Is it all done with or?

Waiting... i get ocasionally 'invited' by police to say the same crap over and over which is then translated from German to Polish and English (For Polish Police and Interpol), a nice waste of tax money imo.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
  • GallaeahoGallaeaho Member
    edited May 2014

@Jack said:
    Gallaeaho you've got quite a few exit nodes under your name...

https://check.torproject.org/exit-addresses

You're correct. We do not have any active restrictions on Tor Exit Nodes, only that they're to be treated the same as any other server, in the event of a valid abuse report.

Unfortunately, with Tor, there isn't any real way to stop abuse from happening, other than just prohibiting Tor outright, which we don't want to do.