Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

which is best virtualization technology for windows guest os
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

which is best virtualization technology for windows guest os

BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
edited January 2017 in Help

I came across vSphere Hypervisor, xen, kvm, openVz while googling my way arround.

I want to use it to install windows 7, 8, 10, server 08, 12 vps in it.

is hyper-v a good option since it's windows guest? which will give best performance?

thanks.

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

You can eliminate openvz straight away, it wont run Windows.

KVM is good, and runs fine.

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • I have never used it, but Hyper-V is Microsoft's virtualization technology.

Windows doesn't run on OpenVZ (Linux only).

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited January 2017

@jiggawattz said:
    I have never used it, but Hyper-V is Microsoft's virtualization technology.

Windows doesn't run on OpenVZ (Linux only).

is hyper-v a best option since it's windows guest?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Hyper-V would almost certainly run Windows more efficiently. KVM would probably be easier and quicker.

• @rsk said:
    You can eliminate openvz straight away, it wont run Windows.

KVM is good, and runs fine.

Install the virtIO drivers if using a windows guest, otherwise the disk I/O tends to be terrible.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

I would use KVM. Here is a guide if you need help. http://www.funtoo.org/Windows_7_Virtualization_with_KVM

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

In your case I would also recommand hyper-v.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

Hyper-V or Xen would be your best bet.
    From our previous experiences, if you are running 'pure' (only) Windows VM, Hyper-V would be the only choices to have a very stable environment.

If you are running a combination between Windows and Linux (there are linux and windows vm on the same machine) then Xen would probably your best bet. While KVM would suffered in I/O in doing this (except you are running 'pure' Linux then KVM would be your best bet). Although, I don't have any evidences representing the opinion. @Anthonysmith might share his experiences, as well, in using Xen, as a Type-1 Bare Metal Hypervisor

• In my experience, if your already running windows as a host machine its much easier to add hyper-v and use that, however, performance wise I can't comment as I have never used windows for a production machine.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Vmware has been the easiest for me to get running, the vswitch is by far the best imo. Two IP's one for host and a second for a gateway vm like pf sense and your good to go.

• Esxi or Hyper-v probably?

• In my opinion it would vary based on your use case, but one thing I will say is that in the newest versions of Xen the HVM (full emulation) environment is Qemu now anyways (KVM). Depending on the version used it can be more efficient to just use KVM directly (as you get the advantage of the KVM kernel modules instead of just vanilla qemu or qemu-dm). The only benefit you would get with Xen is if you also wanted to run Linux guests, I find Xen PV to be a bit more performant.

There is also VirtualBox if all you are doing is wanting to run a sandbox, you could run it remotely on a dedicated server easily and it has a easy to use GUI, however, this wouldn't be something you would want to use in a production environment (just my opinion).

Hyper-V then of course is Microsoft's own technology, so of course it is tuned to run Windows most efficiently but licensing can get costly. KVM is the best 'free' option out there with Proxmox having a free version that installs it for you it becomes even easier.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hyper-V would be your best bet based on our experience with various types of virtualizations: Hyper-V/KVM/VMWare. Hyper-V runs fine even on a SATA drive with couples of VMs - where VMWare/KVM would hang.

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks everyone for their view...
    I will go with Hyper-v for now as suggested by most of you for the best performance...

can anyone suggest how many vm's (windows 10) I will be able to run on with normal browsing activity (selenium webdriver - automated). server specs are: Core™ i5-2300, 16 GB ram, 2TB hdd

• Hyper-v is most efficient
    KVM is the easiest
    Xen is a mess

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

@pixahex said:
    Thanks everyone for their view...
    I will go with Hyper-v for now as suggested by most of you for the best performance...

can anyone suggest how many vm's (windows 10) I will be able to run on with normal browsing activity (selenium webdriver - automated). server specs are: Core™ i5-2300, 16 GB ram, 2TB hdd

6-8 VM's but you would max out the CPU for sure. If you intent to do anything that requires moderate amount of resources 4 is max. If you set 1 Core for each VM's it wont be efficient. Instead set 4 cores for all VM's so each of them has access to 100% of your resources.

• We (my company) use Hyper-V and ESXi with Windows guest.

• ESXi is easy to set up, runs very nicely, and really is a bare metal hypervisor.