Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS for small independent radio station :) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS for small independent radio station :)

2»

Comments

• @leona WTF???? " I don't know if dial up or high speed internet is being used there." how can you even say that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_New_Zealand

• Did the op say which he is using, I don't know, do you.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited January 2017

leona said: I don't know if dial up or high speed internet is being used there

Darn it! I lol'ed and dropped my coffee. Back to the kitchen for another brew.

• @TripleFFF my can get you a single core VPS with 8GB RAM at a great price, can even get you 50% off your first month to try it with coupon code WHT50. Check out my suggestion here: https://www.tier.net/vps-powerhouse-specials

• VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2017

@leona said:
    New Zealand is a small island

@leona said:
    I don't know if dial up or high speed internet is being used there. I will say, getting a little vps for 20

You're talking like they only just invented fire or something.

For the record, New Zealand have the highest average download speed for mobile internet in the world...

• TripleFFFTripleFFF Member
    edited January 2017

Hey guys! Wow a lot of interest, I'm gonna try and address as many people as possible, so sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a crazy couple of days!

I've been testing Airtime out for the last few nights with not much success. It's a brilliant program, but like Rivendell before it there are just to many points of failure for me to effectively mitigate, the biggest and most glaring being myself. My library is a botch up of home ripped wavs and slap together MP3s, and the solution I'm looking for is set and forget, which I have been testing RadioDJ for and have found it to be perfect in this regard.

NZ internet is pretty good in major cities, but where I am it is ABYSMAL (100k down, ~50k up on a good day, supposed to be VDSL but the cables on my small island are third world) great suggestions on latency - I've looked into it and it makes quite a large difference for control input, which is another reason I don't think I'll be going with Airtime, it needs too much handholding and I DEFINITELY won't have the connection to do that live.

Mobile internet is 4G in major cities but most places I'm going will be WAY out of reception, fibre internet exists in country but to the rest of the world we're still using only a single copper cable (I believe). For this reason, I'm choosing to stick with what I know and run entirely offshore, using RadioDJ, MB Recaster or BUTT (haven't decided yet) and MariaDB on a Windows 7 VPS.

The Icecast server I'm on is free for up to 400 listeners and hosted in the US (shaincast.caster.fm). The VPS I've decided to go with will be a 2GB RAM 100GB storage Win7 VPS hosted in Germany, and once I've got everything locked in (and cleared it with my vendor) I'll be proud to reveal all the details and speeds etc.

I've had a lot of offers over the past few days, and I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your excellent suggestions and help. I really didn't expect the huge flood of help and support I've recieved over the last few days, especially as a green newbie, and I'm truly truly grateful :) Special thanks to @Leona, @ehad, @SSDBlaze, @RacksX, @Rickey318 and a huge HUGE shoutout to @Jvnader for the wealth of knowledge and tips poured out in this thread and via PM.

Once I've got the details hammered out and tested, I'll be back to give you guys a full report. Awesome times ahead! This forum is brilliant, I look forward to contributing more :)

Josh

[Edit: Mods, as I'm new here, can I have a clarification please? When I do update, should I bump this thread or start a new one :) thanks]

Thanked by 2SSDBlaze racksx
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Awesome! Glad we were able to help!

Thanked by 1TripleFFF
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

NZ internet is pretty good in major cities, but where I am it is ABYSMAL (100k down, ~50k up on a good day, supposed to be VDSL but the cables on my small island are third world)

Jeez :/ I have a friend who lives in the Wanganui region and has VDSL (I think) with 2degees and their internet is like 30down, then again I don't know how all these DSL-based providers work.

I am in the US and am spoiled by cable and fiber technologies (have comcast lol) but they do charge a lot for higher speeds

• I'm on Waiheke Island on an off grid farm with a bunch of hippies :D I've been ATTEMPTING to build a RaspberryPi transmitter with my friend over IRC, he can't even send me 2MB of code without my connection dropping :P He calls our house "Vanuatu"

edited January 2017

@TripleFFF said:
    I'm on Waiheke Island on an off grid farm with a bunch of hippies :D I've been ATTEMPTING to build a RaspberryPi transmitter with my friend over IRC, he can't even send me 2MB of code without my connection dropping :P He calls our house "Vanuatu"

ooh so you're on an island and not in a major part of land over there, that explains the more limited internet access but living over there sounds pretty fun to be honest :)

It's been a while since I last messed with RasberryPis, I have 2 RPI2s sitting around here somewhere that I had some fun with a while ago

• Right now I'm logged in at my parents place in the city, building the transmit gear for the studio truck. I've got a deal with a mate that runs a server stack to push my music library (about 80 gigs) over to his FTP server and let it chew on that uploading to the VM once it's running. It's gonna take about 3 weeks, top speed ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This is why I need a VPS so badly :D

• @ethancedrik said:

...living over there sounds pretty fun to be honest

It's paradise, mate :) it's just beautiful. And off grid life is an awesome way to go

• @VPN said:

@leona said:
    New Zealand is a small island

@leona said:
    I don't know if dial up or high speed internet is being used there. I will say, getting a little vps for 20

You're talking like they only just invented fire or something.

For the record, New Zealand have the highest average download speed for mobile internet in the world...

How do you know that, you live there, or read that from some website.

According to OP it's horribly slow in places.

• @leona the internet is horribly slow in many places around the world including parts of the USA. Whats your point - that your random comment is supported because certain spots in NZ support your random assertion?

edited January 2017

I assume and partially know for a fact that just like the United States, there are big urban cities that have things like LTE and Fiber, towns out there that are less populated but still have HSPA+ and DSL, and then rural areas that are limited to satellite, slow DSL, etc. You can find that in a lot of countries tbh and I've witnessed it first hand over here. It's also freezing cold and snowing over here too lol, but I live close to the Canada border so that's to be expected during the winter.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

TripleFFF said: [Edit: Mods, as I'm new here, can I have a clarification please? When I do update, should I bump this thread or start a new one :) thanks]

Not a mod, but updating the existing thread is fine. So long as you're not necroing a completely unrelated thread from a year ago, bumping threads is generally the preferred option :)

Thanked by 1TripleFFF
  • TripleFFFTripleFFF Member
    edited January 2017

Be warned though! We had a fair amount of trouble with PiFM and FFMPEG on the RaspberryPi2, ended up compiling FFMPEG from scratch and still had difficulty running it, dependencies changed and versions had moved (something called lib2av from memory had changed) and although we THINK we got it broadcasting dead air, we never got audio to work.

But hey, that's the fun of messing with something, right! My friend ended up getting some japanese code to run on his Pi3, all up it took us about 3 days on skype and google, and nearly 2 boxes of ramen noodles :P