Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help choosing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help choosing

CentaurCentaur Member
edited January 2012 in Help

So I have been checking out VPS offers from various providers. And I have limited it to these two providers.

Either a package from Hostigation or Edis.at:
From Hostigation, the OVZ-1024 $10/month
Pros: Awesome service, speed and nice disk space.
Cons: American [see further in post for why this would matter].

From Edis.at, the VRS ADVANCED 11 EUR/month
Pros: European, also awesome service and speed, more dedicated ram.
Cons: Less disk space

The VPS will be mainly used for basic data processing, it will mostly get information from APIs and store it into a database, this information and static content is then send to another VPS that serves the content. So the VPS I want will mainly be doing the processing. However, the only resource intensive part is the mysql queries to clean up all the old stuff, however this isn't that massive, it isn't like the resources used to compile something or to run a benchmark. It is basically the same as a busy dynamic website. Memory that will be used is about 200mb max. Bandwidth usage per month also isn't really a factor since it will be about 150gb max per month. The disk space might be a factor, but it won't be growing that much, 30gb max. In future this VPS will also host a wordpress website, but will obviously be optimized.

So both packages will be awesome for its work. Hostigation is a little bit cheaper, but is hosted in the US. While the one from Edis is a little bit faster, but is hosted in the EU, that is much closer to my country's cable routes and the time zone is almost the same.

Both offer basically the same ram. It seems that the connection speed is faster on Edis, if hosted in Austria.

Why the big packages for my small needs? Well, we love the head room for further expansion. And if we ever need it we can always fall back to one of the other servers.

So what do you think. Please keep your thoughts subjective and not fanboy love.

Both providers seem awesome. So it is quite difficult to pick the rightful one, based on my needs.

Thanks

Comments

• @Centaur said: While the one from Edis is a little bit faster, but is hosted in the EU, that is much closer to my country

I would choose edis just for this

• I would go for EDIS, mainly because of the speed and my good experience with them in terms of contact and stability.
    You could also contact Gerhard over there for a custom quote suited to your needs (more or less ram or diskspace etc), he is great to talk with.

• I would go with Edis as well. Just because they're located in the EU, just like you are + more RAM.

• I would go with Edis because I have first class experience with them. They are really stable, decent service and support. And their speeds accross europe are awesome.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Well, how much is "not massive"? If I understand, the real work will be at the database? How much queries and so? Because my main database server is serving like 3-3.5 million queries per day and I am using like 50MB RAM in total (I must tweak it to use more RAM for cache :P )

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited January 2012

@Centaur said: it will mostly get information from APIs and store it into a database, this information and static content is then send to another VPS that serves the content.

I think you need to also consider the location of your API provider and that other VPS, aside from your cable network route.
    you will prefer the one nearer to the API provider & other VPS unless you will be using a lot of traffic (e.g uploading files from your home/office connection.)

And since you're planning to host a Wordpress blog, your visitor-to-be geographical location should also be taken into account.

By the way, have you tried tracerouted and pinged both Edis and Hostgator?
    Just to make sure they actually differs that much in term of network latency.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

EDIS for better connection and speed for you

• I'd recommend IPXCORE.com, they power my forums -> SpeakWhatsReal.com

we average 500-2k post's per day, we're brand new, and they never once had downtime so far and it's amazing, very cheap/affordable services imo, my forums are super fast not only because of my coding, but because of them...

lmk

• KairusKairus Member
    edited January 2012

@monkuar said: my forums are super fast not only because of my coding, but because of them...

You mean Invision Power Service's (makers of IPB) code?

• @Kairus said: You mean Invision Power Service's (makers of IPB) code?

or this, 1.3 is alot faster/better then all the newest versions that's for sure, 3.2 is slow as crap, go find 3.2 site that is faster then my forums, or idforums.net, you wont, 1.3 is the best and ipb went money hungry after they released there last free version of 1.3 and started selling there bloated forum software 2.2++++ 3.2++ for $$$$$$ which is ripping people off, anyone who has a decent amount of php knowledge knows how bloated there system is and how SLOW it is.

• Sure, but you said that you created your own "lightweight Custom Forum Software" in another thread, and then in this thread say "your code", when it's not your own code, it's Invision Power Services' code.

They went money hungry? Sorry, but not every product should be free because you don't feel like paying. Do you expect your food to be free? Or your computer?

• @Kairus said: Sure, but you said that you created your own "lightweight Custom Forum Software" in another thread, and then in this thread say "your code", when it's not your own code, it's Invision Power Services' code.

They went money hungry? Sorry, but not every product should be free because you don't feel like paying. Do you expect your food to be free? Or your computer?

Who are you to tell me what code is mine/etc? When the software was FREE AND Open source on a GPL License back in the day? I could do whatever I want or name it whatever I wanted and I will. IPB 1.3 was released under a free license and gives me every right to do whatever I want with it.

The problem is the company is virtually sickening, they're ripping customers off when people are purchasing there software, why? Because it's slow/bloated/even outdated.... Even though it's 2012 they use old outdated crap, they have about 10 embedded .js on every page, the load times are incredibly long, 1-3seconds for each page refresh, what kind of customer wants to load/wait on that stuff spending 200-400$ for a licence?

It's a rip off. The fact is, go to D2jsp.Org, they're 1.3, #3 worlds largest forum software in the world, (Also the fastest) You're going to go tell the admin there to change the copyright?? Good luck! Money is greed Kairus, if you like it or not, money means NOTHING to me, but it obviously did to the IPB staff, There MONEY Hungry fingers coded a horrible slow system after 2.0 to try to "make more $" they made it more bloated with more and more features which are absolutely a marketing gimmick and a scam, just so you can pay more $$ for it. If they would have just continued on IPB 1.3, and made future updates for it and enhanced it, I guarantee it would be the most used forum software in the world today and the developers (Matt Mecham) would have been alot more wealthier...... But it's the greed that takes people down, this is a perfect example of it. Plus my system has 100% more features then any 3.1+ board does and quite frankly alot FASTER.

• @monkuar, So you contributed to IPB 1.3 development or released code to a community? It's rude to take GPL'd code and say it's yours, when there's hundreds (thousands?) of lines of code you didn't write.

Yes, they're sickening trying to develop a product and support themselves/their families. How rude of them, anyone want to file a lawsuit against them for their unacceptable actions? I mean, after all they are the only forum software in the world, so them trying to make it into a business, is just rude!

Your forum has 100% more features than a 3.1 board? I find that kind of hard to believe, it looks like a crappy old 1.3 board. Anyway, your site is down.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

LOL, popcorn time?

Ahm, and about ipxcore, I had two 8 mins outages today. (First time since start)

• @yomero said: LOL, popcorn time?

Nah, I'm done here. I just don't like when people take other's hard work and say it's their custom work.

• @yomero said: Ahm, and about ipxcore, I had two 8 mins outages today. (First time since start)

We already took care of that situation. One of our clients had an extremely weak password (5 characters, common english word) and had their VPS compromised, of which the attacker then used it for a DoS attack.

• Mhm, Single client taken a entire node offline with a DOS Attack? That surely is not right.

• @yomero, I have checked, and it seems that it does only use about 80mb max the database. Still have to optimize mine as well to use more cache as well, lol :P

@WhizzWr, I have pinged both. It seems Edis does have a slight advantage, about 100ms quicker.
    Api locations, won't have a real impact, it would be so small its negligible. Since Edis has a faster connection, the extra ping won't really make a difference to the lower ping of the US location.
    My wordpress blog will have a worldwide audience. So since Europe is where basically all the cables pass through, I think that would be the best location.

@monkuar, IPXcore doesn't really compare well to these two I listed, if you compare the prices. I am sure they are awesome for your "own" forum software, but they are a little bit too expensive compared to the ones I'm comparing.
    @monkaur and @Kairus, IPB gets those not-so-technical web-designers who see a nice interface and lots of features, but doesn't really worry about how bloated it is. If I wanted a forum software I would use MyBB, because they are the best according to what I have seen myself. A lot of those extra features that makes IPB 3.x so bloated should have been kept as plugins.

@Damian4IPXcore, it does seem weird that a single person's VPS used that much resources to DoS the node. Since you are using OpenVZ, don't you restrict every VPS' CPU usage?

Thanks for all the comments. I have discovered that I don't need that much HDD space. Found a lot of junk that I forgot to remove :P. That basically halved my needs.
    And since the Edis one is a little bit more expensive. How would you compare the VRS BASIC package from Edis to the OVZ-1024 package from Hostigation. They are basically the same price. Would you then still prefer Edis.

Thanks

• @Centaur: Yes, CPU is restricted on our smallest package, but network is not. Apparently our "weak" tinyvps package is able to fully saturate a 100 mbit connection no problem.

• @monkuar said: IPB 1.3 was released under a free license and gives me every right to do whatever I want with it.

Wrong, unless it is WTFYWPL.

• @Damian4IPXcore, at least you found the spammer quickly lol. But even if the VPS is able to fully saturate 100 mbit, it still shouldn't bring down the node, since if someone else wants to use from that line it should just balance it out. Or am I missing something here.

Anyway. Please keep on topic. Thanks

• @Centaur said: And since the Edis one is a little bit more expensive. How would you compare the VRS BASIC package from Edis to the OVZ-1024 package from Hostigation. They are basically the same price. Would you then still prefer Edis.

Well, I have a couple of questions to maybe help you make a better choice. Which CPU are they using? Since you are doing your processing, I know my OpenVZ nodes use E3-1230's, and the package you want allows for 2 cores at fair share. Either of our locations, you seem to focus on your location, which for the task, is nearly irrelevant, what is relevant is the location of the majority of your viewers and the other VPS that will be serviced by this processing node. Now I did not read every post here, but it still sounds on the face of it, Edit might be a better fit, but these were a couple of questions you could answer that would be more realistic you narrow your choice down.

• Thanks @miTgiB. Both of the packages are almost identical in its pros and cons. I live very far from either the two DCs. However, since my country's undersea cables pass through Europe, that is why I am seeing the small improvement on ping from Edis. I know that my location is completely irrelevant. However, which I forgot to mention is that the other VPS is in my country. But since it is so expensive to get another VPS here, that is why I am looking on other options.

However, Edis does have a small performance gain, since they give you access to all the cores. However, Hostigation is a little bit cheaper, and seems to be actually better bang for buck.

This is really a tough choice. But, all I know, either way, both of these VPSes will be miles ahead of what VPS I am currently using in the US for the processing.

Thanks