Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server, use part of it for an OpenVZ Container
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server, use part of it for an OpenVZ Container

Cyph3rCyph3r Member
edited January 2017 in General

Hello,

I have a dedicated server right now with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz 8 cores,
RAM: 16GB,
HDD: 250GB SSD,
UP/DOWN: 1Gbps,
IPS: 5 IPV4

It is currently running Debian 8 Jessie but I would like to dedicate 1-3 of the IPS for OpenVZ containers.
Without completely wiping my whole system is there an easy way to install OpenVZ on top of Debian or do I need to install OpenVZ as the main OS on my dedicated and then go from there?

Comments

• Use LXD instead if you dont want to wipe it all. OpenVZ requires Centos 6

Thanked by 1Cyph3r
  • As @Johchun said, try LXC. It is an excellent replacement for openvz. Install proxmox 4 on top of your debian 8. Then, you can handle easily containers with lxc or, even, kvm if you like, without this affecting what you currently have installed in your server (of course, anything you want to do to a working server, needs backups first, to don't cry later!)

Thanked by 1Cyph3r
  • As mentioned above try out LXC my personal experience shows a much better performance than openVZ, I switched from oepnvz to LXC for all my production machines and have not looked back since

Thanked by 1Cyph3r
  • I'm about to check out LXC now. Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated

• With that server you can run proxmox and run KVM or LXC containers. You can add pfsense and run all on one or two public IP's and NAT other VM's or containers.

• Cyph3rCyph3r Member
    edited January 2017

I've installed and setup LXC and created a Debian 8 Jessie container but when I start it I get the following error which doesn't leave much detail as to why it wont start though:

`root@server:/# lxc-start -n debserv                                                                                                                                   
    lxc-start: Error setting memory.limit_in_bytes to 3230M for debserv                                                                                                                                       
    lxc-start: failed to setup the cgroup limits for 'debserv'                                                                                                                                                
    lxc-start: failed to spawn 'debserv'                                                                                                                                                                      
    lxc-start: The container failed to start.                                                                                                                                                               
    lxc-start: Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.`  

And my config file looks like this:

lxc.network.type = veth lxc.rootfs = /var/lib/lxc/debserv/rootfs lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/debian.common.conf lxc.mount = /var/lib/lxc/debserv/fstab lxc.utsname = debserv lxc.arch = amd64 lxc.autodev = 1 lxc.kmsg = 0 lxc.network.flags = up lxc.cgroup.memory.limit_in_bytes = 3230M lxc.cgroup.memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes = 3658M lxc.cgroup.cpuset.cpus = 0-3 lxc.cgroup.cpu.shares = 1024 lxc.network.link = virbr0 lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:1E:A2:A6:3E:3A lxc.network.ipv4 = 192.168.122.5/24

• I'm a bit confused on how I use this variable...

• Nevermind I added

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"

to my /etc/default/grub

• LXC is running and I've created containers of Debian but I can't ping outbound to anything...