Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disillusionment ! Hardware Raid with cache ! - DD is CRAP ???? Really ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disillusionment ! Hardware Raid with cache ! - DD is CRAP ???? Really ?

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi Guys,

Stuck with a lot of RAID stuff I came to realize that the dd benchmark that has been the primary source of inspiration to buy a VPS or not for most of users is not so real. Even with fdatasync.
I realized the sequential IO was not so much important in a VM environment, also that the real case of doing a long sequential IO that actually takes advantage of such cache is rare event.

Considering that all the server bear IO stuff will not actually reveal a machine that is better suited for real time load vs a not so suitable. The Raid with Cache is certainly doing a lot to improve the sequential IO but nothing else.

Bonniee++ is a better test suite ( Feedback by a lot of people )

If that is so - in actual - Than why this is a complete myth going on around Higher DD scores ?
Is there an actual advantage of using such costly RAID cards or the entire community is following this just to increase their DD scores which are not so related to how your VPS is going to perform at the end.

I would see a good discussion coming on this from a lot of providers. I believe its time for disillusion for all of us. People who are experts here, post the facts you know, lets uncover the truth.

Comments

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

:D

• @darknessends said: I would see a good discussion coming on this from a lot of providers. I believe its time for disillusion for all of us. People who are experts here, post the facts you know, lets uncover the truth.

Thought it's obvious. Everyone knows the facts.

@darknessends said: If that is so - in actual - Than why this is a complete myth going on around Higher DD scores ?

Is there an actual advantage of using such costly RAID cards or the entire community is following this just to increase their DD scores which are not so related to how your VPS is going to perform at the end.

It's just A benchmark and like all benchmarks it's a metric. As to why get the RAID card? It helps reduce CPU load and improves performance. It also improves reliability/stability. It helps when your RAID rebuilds.

• @concerto49, that a normal Raid card can do as well, whats the use of high end cards.

• @darknessends said: @concerto49, that a normal Raid card can do as well, whats the use of high end cards.

The lower end ones don't have an actual RAID chip. It's emulated / passthrough, so might as well software RAID.

• @concerto49, better, it is less chance of corruption too.

• @darknessends said: @concerto49, better, it is less chance of corruption too.

Everything has pros and cons.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@darknessends said: Than why this is a complete myth going on around Higher DD scores

Welcome to the matrix, I am pleased you could join us, everything you thought you knew was a lie :)