Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Webdesign/Webdev + Webhosting work well together?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Webdesign/Webdev + Webhosting work well together?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2017 in General

So since a couple of years I am doing websites for some people and often see that they are signed up with a waay to expensive hosting plan not knowing what they acctually need but paying because they can. Sure there is the saying "Never change a running system" but still sometimes they are signed up with the "Hostgator mafia" or worse and I often thought about doing something in that regard as they often ask me for an alternative if I point out they are paying too much. So what I'm thinking is to either point them to some webhosts I consider price worthy or get a reseller and host+maintain them myself. What would you consider the best solution at this rate? Searching out an individual provider for each of my clients projects bearing with the fact that if they encounter problems (as I wont be managing the projects then) I will have to deal with various providers/setups/interfaces or signing up with a reseller hoping I will find a good one which allows easy scaling and keep it all at one place where I make myself familar with and can intervene at a moments notice?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

It can, I've seen people do it that I've considered buying design from in the past. It would be easier to become an affiliate with a trusted company, assuming you make a good amount off of the development/design by itself though. Hosting alongside development and design work probably wouldn't grow any so if you do it, you might as well make a separate brand for it to allow it to grow separate from your design business.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MikeA said:
    It can, I've seen people do it that I've considered buying design from in the past. It would be easier to become an affiliate with a trusted company, assuming you make a good amount off of the development/design by itself though. Hosting alongside development and design work probably wouldn't grow any so if you do it, you might as well make a separate brand for it to allow it to grow separate from your design business.

Hmm.. Might acctually go for an affilate given that I am a student attending Uni and this is just a side buisiness so to speak^^ I like it because it can be so flexible but if I would establish an actual brand I can see a lot of more work coming from this.

• Well, I'd get a shared hosting reseller account, or two (different locations/hosts).
    And you can use DO or Vultr and NameSilo for VPS and domains reselling if needed. I believe all of them have WHMCS modules that you can use to make everything automated.

Just make sure to pick a decent host since you will be the one your clients blame if something goes wrong.

Having the webhosting as a different brand is a good idea too.
    You can recommend it to your clients and offer discounts or free management if they order.

• @Four20 said:
    Well, I'd get a shared hosting reseller account, or two (different locations/hosts).
    And you can use DO or Vultr and NameSilo for VPS and domains reselling if needed. I believe all of them have WHMCS modules that you can use to make everything automated.

Just make sure to pick a decent host since you will be the one your clients blame if something goes wrong.

Having the webhosting as a different brand is a good idea too.
    You can recommend it to your clients and offer discounts or free management if they order.

I do understand where you are coming from but understand that I am not necessarily looking to be catering to the masses but onpy my clients I do/did Webdev for. That does make WHMCS not a necessity as they will bear with a 1-2 day Setup easily and thus I can acctually cut the license costs for a WHMCs anyway. But yeah you are right. For a VPS I was planning to use DO+Serverpilot and for pure webhosting some reseller plan :P