Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone running Plex on a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone running Plex on a VPS?

I'm pretty new to Plex and would like to try it out on a VPS. I have been using Put.io for online torrenting and it's great, but I would prefer Plex because it supports so many platforms.

Could I run Plex of a 1 GB RAM VPS? I know there are some nice guides available but what is the easiest way? Bash script? Provider that offers Plex on VPS?

My budget is $10. Anything over and I can just stick to put.io.

Comments

• Plex put a lot pressure on CPU during transcoding, VPS with dedicated cores will work.

zxhost seems a good option @AshleyUK

• ZXHost seems interesting. Dedicated Plex Media Hosting. I will only be the only one using it, maybe a few times weekly. Any idea if they do custom plans?

• Will PM you a deal we just did for another client using Plex, also using one myself on the same node.

• @ratherbak3d said:
    Will PM you a deal we just did for another client using Plex, also using one myself on the same node.

Drop me a PM also pls

• Gerrard8 said: Drop me a PM also pls

Have done. Thank you for your interest.

• @ratherbak3d said:
    Will PM you a deal we just did for another client using Plex, also using one myself on the same node.

I'd appreciate a PM with the details also ;)

• Should run fine, just be aware it will eat CPU if it needs to transcode which your provider might not like.

Find out what their CPU policy is.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I ran it on a Crissic 512mb special.
    Worked as expected.

• I'm running a Plex Media Server with ZXhost for about a year and highly recommend them. Their service is top notch, price is unbeatable and performance is very good - in fact i cant recall any downtime. They also frequently issue upgrades to their existing customers, in line with the new offers which is greatly appreciated. They are currently migrating to their own hardware and to a KVM platform and I'm still trying out the new specs as I just completed migration but so far so good and I'm looking forward to renew the service soon.

Thanked by 2bersy Wicked
  • @adamluk @Gerrard8 @Wicked

To update, I've had chance to put this page together concerning the new Plex Media Server we are now offering. As always, open to negotiate with reasonable offers.

https://virtual6.net/plex-media-server-vps-hosting/

Thanked by 1adamluk
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

ratherbak3d said: To update, I've had chance to put this page together concerning the new Plex Media Server we are now offering. As always, open to negotiate with reasonable offers.

Pardon me, is the host node SYS-IP-1? If yes, why not 2 dedicated threads?

• exception0x876 said: Pardon me, is the host node SYS-IP-1? If yes, why not 2 dedicated threads?

We're making two available, but technically only one of them is a real core I guess.

• @ratherbak3d said:
    @adamluk @Gerrard8 @Wicked

To update, I've had chance to put this page together concerning the new Plex Media Server we are now offering. As always, open to negotiate with reasonable offers.

The link is broken. Can you please PM?

• plumberg said: The link is broken. Can you please PM?

Sorry, just re-shuffling a few things with our website. I can ofc forward details to you via PM and will do so in just a moment.

• jQujQu Member

@ratherbak3d said:

plumberg said: The link is broken. Can you please PM?

Sorry, just re-shuffling a few things with our website. I can ofc forward details to you via PM and will do so in just a moment.

Please send me this PM too.

• Post regarding our new Plex VM and resource/pricing information can be found at https://virtual6.net/2017/01/04/virtual6-announce-plex-vm-trial/.

• So, you're selling 1/4th of a SYS-IP-1 (30gbp/month incl tax) for 10 gbp/month?

That cpu has a passmark of just over 5k, with the advised minimum passmark score per plex user of 2k?

• @Wicked said:
    I'm pretty new to Plex and would like to try it out on a VPS. I have been using Put.io for online torrenting and it's great, but I would prefer Plex because it supports so many platforms.

Could I run Plex of a 1 GB RAM VPS? I know there are some nice guides available but what is the easiest way? Bash script? Provider that offers Plex on VPS?

My budget is $10. Anything over and I can just stick to put.io.

We do custom quotes, if you still require something send over a ticket.

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited January 2017

teamacc said: So, you're selling 1/4th of a SYS-IP-1 (30gbp/month incl tax) for 10 gbp/month?

You're right, we should give them away instead.

teamacc said: That cpu has a passmark of just over 5k, with the advised minimum passmark score per plex user of 2k?

Those are also rough guidelines as is referenced numerous times on the page you're pulling that from, for transcoding I might add. Now you're also assuming that everyone is transcoding at 1080p at the same time. I actually have working experience of the above setup, do you?

Still trying to figure out if you're asking a question or attempting to make some sort of statement... Using question marks whilst making statements just comes of as plain rude, or was that your intention?

Oh and you don't even have the decency to tag me when you're calling me out. @teamacc

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • I ended up with seedboxes.cc and I'm still blown away. A little out of my budget(15 EUR), but shared 20 Gbps and 1TB storage is worth it.

And their control panel and everything else is made from scratch.

• @ratherbak3d said:

teamacc said: So, you're selling 1/4th of a SYS-IP-1 (30gbp/month incl tax) for 10 gbp/month?

You're right, we should give them away instead.

I have nothing against your pricing, seems like a fair markup given market situation and all that jazz.

teamacc said: That cpu has a passmark of just over 5k, with the advised minimum passmark score per plex user of 2k?

Those are also rough guidelines as is referenced numerous times on the page you're pulling that from, for transcoding I might add. Now you're also assuming that everyone is transcoding at 1080p at the same time. I actually have working experience of the above setup, do you?

I dont, and was hoping for such a comment, although in a more friendly manner. Good to know that the setup works.

Oh and you don't even have the decency to tag me when you're calling me out. @teamacc

That's my bad. Sorry.