Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hunting Perl Bots with Grep
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hunting Perl Bots with Grep

MTUser2012MTUser2012 Member
edited May 2013 in General

I think one of my servers may have a perl bot on it somewhere; one of my WP sites was hacked.

I found this great resource explaining how to use Grep to look for perl bots:

http://pentestlab.org/hunting-malicious-perl-irc-bots/#!prettyPhoto

I'd like to try this approach but the commands don't work on my Centos box:

[root@server ~]# grep -RPn “(system|shell|tcp) *(” /var/www
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Are there any Linux wizs here who can spot the error? Diagnosing it is beyond my limited skills.

Comments

• udkudk Member

Try escaping the ()'s with \ so...

grep -RPn "(system|shell|tcp) *(" /var/www

• udkudk Member
    edited May 2013

That didn't work as planned, \'s were removed somehow. Basically add \ before each ( and )

• rds100rds100 Member

Not before each, add \ only before the last (

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited May 2013

() are special characters to grep. You need to escape it with a backslash or something.

@udk \\ works?

• MTUser2012MTUser2012 Member
    edited May 2013

Thanks for all the help. I am working now looking using Zen's code snippet.

• twaintwain Member

Also netstat -antup, look for suspicious connections, then lsof -p PID to find the path to process/script/binary. Also lsof -f is a good one.

• Nothing in the home directory. Anyone have any suggestions on where the hackers usually put these files?

I am also running rootkithunter and clamav, but nothing so far.

There has to be one somewhere. I have 4 processes with unknown users running perl with fake referrers that are 60 to 75% of the server load.

• rds100rds100 Member

@MTUser2012 this might give you an idea:
    ls -l /proc/PID/cwd
    ls -l /proc/PID/exe
    ls -l /proc/PID/fd

• twaintwain Member
    edited May 2013

/tmp and /dev/shm quite a bit..

/tmp/.../malicious_file_or_folder

is very common (they try to trick you with the 3 dots)

• @rds100. Thank you.

Here is the output from one of the PIDs:

[root@server ~]# ls -l /proc/9908/cwd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 516 513 0 May 1 12:09 /proc/9908/cwd -> /
    [root@server ~]# ls -l /proc/9908/exe
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 516 513 0 May 1 04:10 /proc/9908/exe -> /usr/bin/perl
    [root@server ~]# ls -l /proc/9908/fd
    total 0
    lrwx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 0 -> socket:[3815025094]
    l-wx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 1 -> pipe:[3820394696]
    l-wx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 2 -> /var/log/httpd/error_log-20130421
    lrwx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 3 -> socket:[3819816447]
    lrwx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 4 -> socket:[854172262]
    lr-x------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 82 -> pipe:[2805043108]
    l-wx------ 1 516 513 64 May 1 11:54 85 -> pipe:[2805043110]
    [root@server ~]#

Should I run those commands with all the unknown PIDs? Is there anything here besides this thing is in /usr/bin/perl that I could use?

• rds100rds100 Member

@MTUser2012 there is also cat /proc/PID/cmdline but that can be overwritten by the process.
    Just dig in /proc/PID/* and see if you find any clues about these processes.

• twaintwain Member

Did you try lsof -p PID ?

• @rds100 & @twain

Thanks for the help. I found the tmp/... folder and deleted it. I could see the running processes pointing to it. I couldn't kill them, they just kept popping back up so I rebooted and all the bad stuff appears to be gone.

clamav found a bad file in a WP theme cache that it deleted so I am guessing that was the back door into the site.

• ATHKATHK Member

Now update WP and the plugins ;)

• @MTUser2012 said: clamav found a bad file in a WP theme cache that it deleted so I am guessing that was the back door into the site.

I would not be so sure... If it is possible just re-image the node. and most importantly find and fix the source of the vulnerability.

I have dealt with a few of these things, they are very tricky to find and fix.. I have always re-built the nodes whenever they are compromised.. If you do not fix it properly, your node will become a part of a botnet...

• @ATHK & @vijayrajah

The problems all seems associated with some WP sites that I bought from one seller. These sites were all updated, but appear to have been hiding files that were there when I bought them. My mistake, I think, was assuming that the these sites would not contain something bad. What I have learned is to check the VPS regularly with ClamAV, and the root kit checkers, and to use top to look for unidentified processes. Numbered not named users are a problem.

I used these tools on my other VPSs and found a few things, again from sites that I bought, that are now gone.

When I build sites myself, I know that they are clean. But what about sites that I buy? What I would like to be able to do is to scan site files before I put them on the server to look for exploits, I am not sure how to do this. Can someone help me with the best way to check code before it is on a server?

• @MTUser2012 said: The problems all seems associated with some WP sites that I bought from one seller

Can you not buy from this seller again?.. Give him some feedback etc...

Also, I have seen some scripts, that modify system utilities (like ps, top etc...) hence they are not visible when you execute those commands.. you should check the contents of /proc/ filesystems. It contains all of the PID's of all the processes that are currently in the system. ( as @rds100 mentioned in this thread)

I'm not sure about efficacy of ClamAV never used it myself.. have heard good things about it.. But still, there may be a few (0day ?) vulnerabilities that it can miss

IF there is a bot/trojan/script that is running as root.. I would never ever again trust the system to be clean, no matter what scans i run. Granted this is being paranoid.. But the risk Vs benefit does not justify running a un-trusted server...

Take regular backups (atleast daily).. and check the backups.. Check for things like scripts that start with a '.' and are owned by root...

Never run your webserver as root.. Do a chroot if you can.. I run my apache as 'apache' user and bind to a higher numbered port. I do packet forwarding using iptables.. (if packet reaches port 80, send it port , using nat tables and PRE-ROUTING chain). This will help a little.. make sure that webserver's user's login shell is set to /sbin/nologin... Every little bit helps...

keep an eye on /tmp and /dev/shm and /root directories (as @twain mentioned here). Especially for file that start with a leading '.', or leading blank space.. or some other funny looking file names... (non-printable characters...)

• ATHKATHK Member

Buy from Themeforest not some cheap ass Asian of Russian site..

• @ATHK, you don't buy sites from Themeforest, you buy themes. The sites I bought came from a US seller with a good reputation on Digital Point.

But after working on this for a long time, I finally figured out the problem, timthumb vulnerability. This is sad on two levels: 1. In 2012, a seller is selling sites with a vulnerability discovered in 2011 that are not fixed; 2. I am stupid enough to think that you wouldn't sell someone a site with a back door, so I don't do my own due diligence checking for this vulnerability. Lesson learned the hard way. Sigh.

• Unfortunately, s**t happens -- glad you figured it out.