Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know what the latest WHMCS update is?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know what the latest WHMCS update is?

moonmartinmoonmartin Member
edited December 2016 in General

Looked all over and cannot find a changelog.

Always a bit leary of these seemingly quicky patches they come out with. Usually ends up causing problems that require more patches. Also not crazy about doing any patches around the holidays where support tends to be lacking.

Don't want to ignore these either. They must have come out with this quicky patch for a reason.

Looking in the patch file, it looks like it is updating phpmailer.

Comments

• GCatGCat Member
    edited December 2016
    // Verify Update Routine successful
    if ($problem)
    {
         ignore();
    }
    else {
         die();
    }

• related to PHPMailer, I believe

The actual exploit hasn't been publicly demonstrated (yet)

• It's probably the PHPMailer vulnerability but we already upgraded the class files same day from source.

I believe it's standard for WHMCS not to disclose changelogs/release notes for security updates until it's been out for a few days.

• @jiggawattz said:
    related to PHPMailer, I believe

The actual exploit hasn't been publicly demonstrated (yet)

Guess you're not subscribed to any seclists? There's 3 variants of the exploit running around, fully working, and one PHPMailer exploit patch bypass (still unfixed) being tossed around in the public. It was posted on r/netsec a while ago (few days back iirc?)

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited December 2016

Ahh ok. A quick google search did the trick. All the info is already out there so no reason not to include a change log. At least something about the severity and what scenarios are necessary for this to be exploitable.

As far as I can tell, this only affects people who have WHMCS mail type set to PHP Mail() correct? Not people who use SMTP.

• @Ishaq said:
    It's probably the PHPMailer vulnerability but we already upgraded the class files same day from source.

I believe it's standard for WHMCS not to disclose changelogs/release notes for security updates until it's been out for a few days.

Same here we manually updated PHPMailer but just as a heads up a new patch for PHPMailer was released yesterday since the initial one didn't fix the vulnerability so everything needs to be re-patched :)

The update to WHMCS includes the latest patch released yesterday

• @moonmartin said: As far as I can tell, this only affects people who have WHMCS mail type set to PHP Mail() correct? Not people who use SMTP.

PHPMailer still used for SMTP.

• @Ishaq said:

@moonmartin said: As far as I can tell, this only affects people who have WHMCS mail type set to PHP Mail() correct? Not people who use SMTP.

PHPMailer still used for SMTP.

This.

Also, it did show "phpmailer() fix) in changelog, just before updating.

• edited January 2017

I found the details of the updates posted in the usual places:

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=123166

http://docs.whmcs.com/Release_Notes