Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for idle servers. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendations for idle servers.

2»

Comments

• Depends what is your business model. You could utilise them for VPN. But you need to take care the security issues in any business model. Yes Minecraft could be a good idea too.

• anappanapp Member
    edited January 2017

deploy openERP in containers , you can deploy about 30 to 35 container in the first server

https://www.odoo.com/

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@dedicados said:

davidgestiondbi said: Rosetta@home and all those @home things?

really worth it?

Was in the past (few years ago). Now I can't say. Nice to run the competition too.

I remember I bought a full Dual Xeon E5v2, 64gb RAM with SSD only for this during 2 month. How to loose money for fun.... (facepalm)

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited January 2017

davidgestiondbi said: How to loose money for fun

yeah, it happens a lot to me :(

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Let them idle and buy more!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2017

Mirror for free software project? Arch linux comes to mind other community driven distros could probably do with more mirror.

• @VortexMagnus said:
    Let them idle and buy more!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@datanoise said:
    Mirror for free software project? Arch linux comes to mind other community driven distros could probably do with more mirror.

Pretty sure projects like Arch linux have no shortage of mirror sponsors.

I used it to try out Intel's new deep learning library but the processor kinda under performs for those kind of tasks so it takes a while to get results.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2017

@varunchopra said:
    Pretty sure projects like Arch linux have no shortage of mirror sponsors.

When I did run one it was using 10 to 20 Mb/s. That won't eat your 5TB but will only use around 70 GB on your hdd, you'll have room for something else. As you say there is no real need for it though - but it seems like you really don't need this server either so...

10 years ago if you had an idle server with some bandwidth it was really easy to find a use for it, right now if you don't want to seed linux isos or mirror projects that don't need more mirrors, there isn't much you can do with it afaik.

(Learning that you didn't need it and probably must resist next time such an offer happens would be well worth a few dollars, though ;-))

• Bitcoin mining?

• Guys, anyone have syncthing relay setup guide? I have several debian based servers and would love to support it. I remember here on LET someone posted quick guide or it was even a autoinstall script. Thank you.

• @Anna_Parker said:
    Guys, anyone have syncthing relay setup guide? I have several debian based servers and would love to support it. I remember here on LET someone posted quick guide or it was even a autoinstall script. Thank you.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/84033/got-idle-bandwidth-contribute-them-syncthing-relay-script/p1

Thanked by 2Anna_Parker deadbeef
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I thought about to make a Network bases Tetris, which the servers playing with each other and display the results on a Hompage.

• Isn't it obvious?
    Playing bot game