Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end VPS provider are overselling VPS ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end VPS provider are overselling VPS ?

2»

Comments

• Keep it idle, so your host would not have to restock another node.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    OpenVZ can be sold 4:1 without any impact on end users, 8:1 with quality hardware, 16:1 can be done but your pushing it, and obviously those numbers are not set in stone as no one can accurately predict what your end users are going to be doing.

Explain your numbers please. What is "4", what is "1"? Is it resources? If yes how to count them? I really trying to get you, but can't. Help me out please.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

I am referring to Ram only as CPU and Disk are rarely an issue.

So if you have 16GB Ram on a pysical server you can sell that 4:1 or in very simple terms 16GB x 4 or in even more simple terms you can sell 64GB worth of containers.

Obviously it goes without saying that if you don't know what your doing at all, this will go very wrong for you and you will end up with a pile of ****

• @AnthonySmith in addition, there's zram.

• @tr1cky said:
    @AnthonySmith in addition, there's zram.

I thought Ze RAM was limited to OVH VPS in France, amirite?

• @AnthonySmith said:

If CPU is rarely an issue then why it's only rarely we see dedicated CPU VPS offers and they are usually costlier than dedicated RAM only, where later are in abundance? I didn't notice you offering one either. I'm really curious.

• @user123 said:

@tr1cky said:
    @AnthonySmith in addition, there's zram.

I thought Ze RAM was limited to OVH VPS in France, amirite?

Zo, take Ze RAM, zen overload ze missles VPS!

• It actually depends. My strategy is finding, trying, or sometimes bet (like my combozo) :D. But in the end, good things will come.

• @AnthonySmith said:

So if you have 16GB Ram on a pysical server you can sell that 4:1 or in very simple terms 16GB x 4 or in even more simple terms you can sell 64GB worth of containers.

Obviously it goes without saying that if you don't know what your doing at all, this will go very wrong for you and you will end up with a pile of ****

Can you please tell, how many 512MB OVZ VPSes providers can host at 32GB Ram Dedi with 8 Logical Cores (i7-6700K for example)? I know, this is depends on provider, but how many of VPS usually they host at one node together?

64? 128? 256? How many OVZ conteiners usually possible to bound to 1 Logical Powerful Core? (i know, this is very depends on million factors, but can you tell abouit it)?

2? 4? 8? 16? more?

• @desperand based on what @AnthonySmith posted, 32GB of RAM could possibly be ovresold to 128GB worth of containers, ignoring all else.

• @user123 said:
    @desperand based on what @AnthonySmith posted, 32GB of RAM could possibly be ovresold to 128GB worth of containers, ignoring all else.

In other words ~256 512MB containers on 32GB Ram Dedi with 8 logical cores? wew...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@desperand said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Can you please tell, how many 512MB OVZ VPSes providers can host at 32GB Ram Dedi with 8 Logical Cores (i7-6700K for example)? I know, this is depends on provider, but how many of VPS usually they host at one node together?

64? 128? 256? How many OVZ conteiners usually possible to bound to 1 Logical Powerful Core? (i know, this is very depends on million factors, but can you tell abouit it)?

2? 4? 8? 16? more?

Please don't start selling here if you're at the skill level of asking questions like that in a public forum.

To answer your question though, just try it, startup 128 containers on it, put some load on all of them and see how it goes. Increase or decrease the number of containers until you find the sweet spot.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited December 2016

@trewq said:
    Please don't start selling here if you're at the skill level of asking questions like that in a public forum.

Don't worry, i do not have any plans for that. Have i rights to ask the question related to provider's overselling at topic which related to provider Overselling?) This is very interesting information, how many VPS nodes providers host VPS nodes at their Dedi servers. And how many of them per core / per 1 GB of ram.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@desperand said:

@trewq said:

Don't worry, i do not have any plans for that. Have i rights to ask the question related to provider's overselling at topic which related to provider Overselling?) This is very interesting information, how many VPS nodes providers host VPS nodes at their Dedi servers. And how many of them per core / per 1 GB of ram.

You have every right. I even made an attempt to answer your question, which you conveniently forgot to quote or reply to.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @desperand said:

@trewq said:

As has been said, it's a piece of string.

We oversell cores, but not Disk space or RAM, for example. However, we also monitor core usge closely, to ensure that if you need it, you can use 100% of your cores

• Of course, some lowend providers overdo it brutally.

But generally I tend to think the problem is users overdoing it brutally.

Running a not-multi-million-mails/day or some average web sites in a cheap 25$/year is fine. But there are always some of those super smart a##holes who squeeze the last bit out of their cheap vps and don't care sh#t about others.
    As soon as those guys get wind of some serious good provider they'll come and see the good service just as another opportunity to abuse.

All in all I'm surprised about my positive experiences. Sure, I had my share of lousy providers, but most were at least acceptable and some were even really good (talking about the lowend segment).

Thanked by 2WSS PepeSilvia
  • Overselling either of the resources is not driven by greed, it is necessary to allow a small/healthy profit margin due to some of the demands this niche creates.

If it's managed right and does not affect customers, there is no problem at all.

As others have also mentioned, if you have income from other sources, that also cushions the costs of offering products to the low end segment.

At the end of the day, you can't have everything ;)

• What about "bank runs", but instead of pulling out money, people are using a majority of their allotted resources. I.E. An insane spike in usage.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Samistine said:

What about "bank runs", but instead of pulling out money, people are using a majority of their allotted resources. I.E. An insane spike in usage.

That's pretty unlikely if there's lots of users doing things statistically independent of each other. The more usual problem is someone hogging some resource (like cpu or ram) 24/7. It's best to use dedis for that, or vps specifically sold as supplying dedicated resources. Normal VPS workloads (at least mine) tend to be mostly idle with occasional bursts of resource consumption, which means the host can oversell by quite a lot and expect things to balance out most of the time.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Usage is predictable.

Thanked by 1flopv
  • Not all of us, after all some of the companies working with KVM and we can oversell the resources exclude CPU, but when you have E5 or I7 with 10+ Cores so you giving 50% and you tellng its 2.0GHz per core and yours max is 3.7+ so you afterall not reselling :)