Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu to Debian - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu to Debian

2»

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

what does "let you run as root mean"?

• ChanChan Member

@shovenose said: I don't like Ubuntu because it won't let you run as root (by default)

sudo passwd

• @Chan said: sudo passwd

First thing I do on my ubuntu servers...

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited May 2013

@jcaleb said: I just use ubuntu when more ram

Is it Ubuntu using more memory?

With same configuration (on kvm vps):
    Debian 6 32 bit using 20-30MB memory
    CentOS 6 32 bit using 60-70MB memory

Never try Ubuntu. (-_-')

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@budingyun said: Is it Ubuntu using more memory?

by default it is. debian easier to minimize memory. if you have 128mb or less better if debian.

• I've been using Debian as my first Linux OS for a couple months now. And have always had in the back of my mind switching over to Ubuntu because it's 'prettier' but have always decided to stick with Debian for the sense of efficiency and lack of extra gizmos.

I'll be very interested to see how Debian 7 is. I think with the upgrade to Gnome 3, Debian will be up to par with the 'pretty' factor. But like one poster already mentioned, if your running a server and completely using CLI, the choice of the two would be based about preference, and comfort level.

Great topic! I've always wonderful myself what people had to say about the two side by side.

• CarpeCarpe Member

Switching from Ubuntu back to Debian as Ubuntu charges into the wonderland of Mir ... prefer laying back and watching with popcorn before getting adventurous (again)

• CarpeCarpe Member

Meanwhile, testing/patching Ubuntu13.04 (then 13.10/14.04) on Nexus 7 before consider switching back ...

• @Freek said: since Ubuntu does not run on the Pi.

Sure it does, just make sure you download the ARM version.

• @doughmanes said: back to Shuttleworth's cash cow

Canonical runs at a loss. It's never made a profit yet.

Ubuntu basically is Debian. It's derived from Debian unstable.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited May 2013

I only use debian minimal on vps less than 128mb ram. Ubuntu most of the time though.

• @bcarlsonmedia said: I only use ubuntu on vps less than 128mb ram. CentOS or Debian minimal most of the time though.

What? Its my understanding Debian has lower memory overhead so I prefer Debian on my 128mb boxes over Ubuntu.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

I mistyped. Look again. :D

• @bcarlsonmedia: Oh. Yeah. Ok then. Gotcha. :P

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Yeah. I shouldn't be typing so fast on my phone.

• Packages in Debian do not usually get updated to new major versions until the next Debian release. For example let's say Nginx 1.4.0 is in the Debian stable repository and Nginx 2.0 is released adding new features. Most likely, the stable repository will still contain version 1.4.0, and 2.0 will not be available until the next release. The reason for this is to make sure you have a stable system.

Debian also has a backports repository, which can be useful. For example lets say that you are running Debian 6 codenamed Squeeze and you want to install the php-apc package. In the Debian stable repository, you will find version 3.1.3p1-2 and in the backports repository you will find 3.1.9-0.1, which is the current stable version. Backports are packages taken from the next Debian releases repositories and are adjusted and recompiled for usage on the current stable release. Keep in mind that packages in the backports repository, are not tested as extensively as packages in the stable repository.

Ubuntu packages are based on the packages found in the Debian unstable repository. This repository has frequent updates. When a newer version of a package has been released, that package is usually added to the Debian unstable repository for a certain amount of time. If no major bugs are reported, the package then moves into the testing repository (repository for the next release). Then once the release is made, it becomes a stable package. Since Ubuntu is based off of the Debian Unstable branch, Ubuntu may have package updates available faster than Debian. On the flip side though, Ubuntu packages are not always stable. At least from my experience. Usually I install Debian on my VPS’s and add the Dotdeb repository to make sure that I am running the latest versions of Nginx, PHP, and MySQL. I hope this helps!

• FreekFreek Member

@BronzeByte said: Sure it does, just make sure you download the ARM version.

AFAIK you can't. Doesn't this still apply?
    "Canonical only support ARM's ARMv7 processor architecture and the Pi has an ARMv6 chip."