Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free spam filtering service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free spam filtering service

proteusproteus Member
edited April 2013 in General

Does anyone know a reliable and reputed SPAM filtering service which offers some for free? I know I can use Google Apps and the like but I do not want my emails to permanently reside on their servers.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Run your own mail server with ASSP. Works better than Google's filter in my experience.

• twaintwain Member
    edited April 2013

Free: ASSP or Mailcleaner (nice easy appliance)
    Paid: Most are overpriced with ridiculous per-user fees or limits. The only one that is really excellent and more affordable than all the rest is XWall (Windows NT/2k/2k3/2k8)

• http://www.gfi.com/products/gfi-mailessentials/pricing is decent if you have $$ and want something like postini (before they were borged by google and discontinued the service)

• MunMun Member

ASSP?

• Go to google.com type in ASSP and press enter, first hit ;-)

• Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to avoid running my own server and managing the anti-spam installation on it if possible.

• spamassassin?

• I just know ASSP, thanks all.

• @proteus said: Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to avoid running my own server and managing the anti-spam installation on it if possible.

So, err.. You don't want it on someone elses server, but you also don't want to run your own?

What do you want?

If you don't want to use Gmail, then try GMX.com or even (shutters) live.com

If you want paid accounts, that opens your options more.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

He wants something like the services where you set your MX to them and mail passes though their servers before coming to yours.

You could sort of do this with gmail because it can forward and delete, but you'd be giving out a gmail email address.

• twaintwain Member

@raindog308 said: He wants something like the services where you set your MX to them and mail passes though their servers before coming to yours.

True, that is what he wanted. This looks a bit oldish but pricing is not bad:
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com/spam/pricing.html

• proteusproteus Member

@raindog308 has the right idea. Something that I can point an MX to and which filters email on my behalf. I guess I can use SpamAssassin hosted on a shared hosting Cpanel box somewhere at the moment. Since this is for my personal domain with not lots of email traffic, I do not think I would require a paid service.

Thanks again, all.

• Just wondernig...What's the trust issue that you have with Google that you avoid using them? The only thing I'd trust more is a direct line hooked up to my closet. I would think any other hosting provider would have just as much access to your data.

• ShadosShados Member

@proteus Just go with a decent paid mail provider - I'd recommend FastMail from personal experience. $40/year for an 'Enhanced' personal account, which is the level at which they offer custom domain support, and they have a bunch of very nice features, including pretty cool spam protection.

• proteusproteus Member

@herbyscrubherbyscrub Nothing like that, just that if I can prevent using them, then why not. If they were the only decent and free provider, then I would surely use them :)