Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

single SSD speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

single SSD speed?

i'm considering to buy SSD dedicated server but only get 1 SSD and additional SSD too expensive,,
how fast is single SSD?
may you share your Single SSD performance or SSD with RAID?

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

IOPS or read/write rates?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Most RAID1 implementations won't give you any boost to read or write speed.

• @ericls said:
    IOPS or read/write rates?

Both

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

On theory, you can achieve better reads with RAID1, though I am not sure in which implementations it's supported.

On single SSD's on SATA3 port, we get around 450MB/s sequential write. Same on RAID1 with same SSDs.

• The quality of the SSD matters more from my understanding.
    MLC NAND is the choice for most workloads 75/25 r/w . SLC for even heavier 99% write workloads.

TLC should be enough for 95/5 Read/write workloads.

Intel DC grade SSD >> Samsung PRO >> Crucial MX100/200 >> Samsung 850EVO >> MX300 >> Samsung 840 evo is a rough ordering off the top of my head.

Feel free to point out inaccuracies in my understanding LET.

• To double read speeds with RAID1 on linux software raid, use RAID10-far2 with 2 drives:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RAID#RAID10.2CF2

Mmmm non-standard implementation, what could possibly go wrong ?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I suppose there's a risk that linux will spontaneously disappear one day.

@wwabbit said:
    I suppose there's a risk that linux will spontaneously disappear one day.

Or that it will no longer support non-standard config like that after updating mdadm ;-).

D

• mdadm will not remove the functionality as long as it remains in the kernel, and that feature will not be remove because the implementation of raid10 in the kernel is dependent on configurable near/offset/far settings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10

• 3 disks in raid 0 will give very good performance like 1500mbps-2000mbps and better I/O - probably the best solution if you are looking for speed.

• Just get the single one and when you can afford it you can always have them add in a 2nd drive.

Thanked by 1vimalware