Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prefered OS for lowend server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prefered OS for lowend server

Wira_SoenaryoWira_Soenaryo Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello,

Currently I have tried using Ubuntu 12.04 and CentOS 6 for my trial VPS server. It's only 128MB Xen based.
I plan using virtualmin for the control panel.
May I know which OS is more prefered and what are the reason?
Thank you...

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

Good luck!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Have you tried Debian?

• Probably obvious, but 32bit right?

• marcmmarcm Member

@shovenose He wants to run Linux with a control panel on 128MB RAM, and probably host something on it as well. I did the sensible thing and wished him "good luck"!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

He will certainly need luck. But Debian 32-bit minimal is a good start :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Debian, minimal, 32 bit, my bread and butter.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

Debian 6 32 bit without cp + nginx php-fpm mysql using about 20-30mb ram.

• edited April 2013

32bit Debian, or Ubuntu if you do some tricks. And I think you need to install VirtualMin manually (the install script might fail, but you can try it first), good luck!

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

better if openvz you can save some more ram. but i'll just bump the memory for a few more $$$ so i dont have headache squeezing

edit: Debian 32bit, look for old LEA posts

• Yeah... Debian 32-bit without a control panel would minimize the amount of ram usage. The entire fact that you're using a control panel would hike up the memory usage... by a ton.

• Thank you for all the respond...

Yes, it's all on 32bit OS.
    I can do install the virtualmin successfully on the sistem either using Ubuntu or CentOS. I won't use this for production, I just wondering if we have a very low VPS, what OS would be prefered on it..
    Thanks..

• @Wira_Soenaryo said: I just wondering if we have a very low VPS, what OS would be prefered on it..

I have few 32MB ones running CentOS 6 and Debian 6 for DNS and backup, all are 32bits and OpenVZ.

I believe I can do that on 24MB box but no provider offer such plan :P

• FritzFritz Veteran

Debian 32.
    I can run Nginx+mysql+squid+VPN using 64 MB Ram.
    Otherwise you can try Webuzo if you are familiar with CentOS.
    My Webuzo runs on 128 MB VPS and doing fine (low traffic)

• I am running Debian 64 bit on a 128Mb VPS with Cherokee web server.

Cherokee admin lets me manage things like virtual servers in a web interface. You cannot create restricted users as you can with Virtualmin, but it does give you a GUI for managing server config.

It servers only static HTML and a (not often hit) CGI.

Memory usage is usually around 20MB excluding cache (which takes a bit more) and
    Cherokee Admin takes another 10MB when its running. Turning on Cherokee's internal cache or adding long running processes like FastCGI or anything you could run a dynamic site on will increase memory usage.

• tuxtux Member

Debian 6/7 32 bit

• Debian...

• Seems like Debian is the most prefered OS on lowend server..
    Anyway, looking on Debian 7, does it already stable release? Look on some info on internet (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian), it's still on RC2 now.
    Thanks..

• I've got a Debian 6.0 x64 w/ EHCP control panel, with no websites on it, and it takes ~110 Mb of RAM as is.

• Debian 6 32 bit. because it's no need more ram, compatible with my 128mb OVZ

• Debian 32bit minimal :)

• @Wira_Soenaryo said: I plan using virtualmin for the control panel.

virtualmin can do it, be sure to disable all email related services on the virtualmin cp and also disable it to start up on boot.