Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can u help ? Post your IO speed ! RAID 10s only.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can u help ? Post your IO speed ! RAID 10s only.

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello,

I would be really happy if you can paste here your IO speed from dedicated server ( not VPS ) - having RAID 10.
It will be good if you post 'uptime' output and tell us what kind-brand-age of disk is ?

I need to put some stats in front of some dedi providers for a argument that may happen on expectations of disk quality.

Thanks in advance for all those participating.

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

What would uptime have to do with anything about IO speed?

• dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    dd if=sb-io-test of=sb-io-test2 bs=1M count=1k conv=fdatasync
    dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k oflag=dsync

These 3 commands will be sufficient.

• @darknessends said: I need to put some stats in front of some dedi providers for a argument that may happen on expectations of disk quality.

Why don't you tell us what exactly you are arguing about so we can help instead?

• @Patrick - just to get an idea of the load average on the machine.

• I am expecting a expensive disk setup to perform good.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited April 2013

What would load average, uptime and Io speed have to do with each other on an empty node?

• You may also want to find out what raid card people are using.

• Well, can you please stop asking and past the dd outputs, Ok, lets not go for uptime, Can u please give me dd outputs.

• You're probably going to want hard drive specs, raid card specs, what raid card, basically everything.

You're probably even going to want what kind of setup it is (like SSD Cached, etc.)

• @halfeatenpie - NO !!!!!!!!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I think the problem here is we don't want to waste our time running DD on our servers and then copying it here. Nor do we want you to waste your time looking at it when it means nothing.

Why don't you say who your dedicated server provider is, what your RAID config is, what type of disk you're using, and the performance you're getting that you think is unsatisfactory... then we can advise on whether it's normal or below what it should be, and possibly what you could do to improve it.

• @Shovenose now now, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Did your mother ever tell you this?

@eastonch I don't want to get into an argument about this, or anything right now for that matter. I'll be PMing you shortly.

• lol, I dnt want them to teach me a RAID 10 SETUP is ok to do a 50MB/s. They think 150 is the top score !

• Depends how large your array is, what type of drives, raid card, settings on said card. To many variables unless we know what we are working with.

50MB/s could be normal, depending on the server. Like if it was software RAID10, ancient 80GB IDE disks, a Pentium III CPU, and, well, you get the point.
    Help us help you man :)

• @darknessends said: RAID 10 SETUP is ok to do a 50MB/s

... I consider that bad for a RAID 10 setup.

• Only did dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync, since your other two commands were stupid.

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.85461 s, 109 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.36872 s, 200 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.71663 s, 228 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.87788 s, 277 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.71632 s, 111 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.89401 s, 156 MB/s

• nickvanwnickvanw Member
    edited April 2013

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.853219 s, 1.3 GB/s

and this is why your question is dumb

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.343513 s, 3.1 GB/s

... You need to be more specific.

EDIT: I should probably note that this is not one of our nodes it is just a server I have access to.

• @nickvanw, @trewq - did u use the fdatasync option ?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I used dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

• @shovenose said: I'll be PMing you shortly.

His mom is going to have harsh words for you

@darknessends said: Well, can you please stop asking and past the dd outputs, Ok, lets not go for uptime, Can u please give me dd outputs.

He's about to launch is L5420 VPS node shortly for FlopVPS

• @doughmanes : Thanks, But I think E5s are better

• darknessendsdarknessends Member
    edited April 2013

@doughmanes : And plus - before you start talking shit about someone - please try to understand the person first, It may be possible he was writing some cloud shit before you learned how to control your VM in SolusVM

• edited April 2013

If I am not mistaken, @darknessends was having concerns about the speed of his RAID10 array which consists of 15K SAS drives. Is this correct?

I didn't actually read the thread, kinda busy. But that was the issue on Skype earlier, yea?

I'm sure someone here will help you out, just got to sift through the BS first.

• @MannDude, precisely.

• @darknessends said: It may be possible he was writing some cloud shit before you learned how to control your VM in SolusVM

Don't talk about yourself in the third person. It looks silly

• I used
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

@MannDude he started it, these are useless without background.