Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Reality review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

End of Reality review

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
edited April 2013 in Reviews

So, decided it's about time I posted another review (first one was on Ramnode), this time with End of Reality. Currently I have four (five?) VPS with them, in their New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles locations.

The plan is:

Price: $5.00 monthly
RAM: 2048 MB
Storage: 50 GB hard disk
Bandwidth: 2 TB (100mbps port... supposedly?)
No swap

I've had comparable if not better network performance so far with Server Mania and Ramnode and others. Actually one of my servers apparently got DDoS'd once by a botnet or something and they handled it very well. Since the transfer to new hardware, the CPU performance has also been very good.

Especially considering the price and now that I've started getting intermittent packet loss on my Server Mania VPS, this is the best host I've had. Although I don't actually need the full 2048 MB:

$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2048        521       1526          0          0         31
-/+ buffers/cache:        490       1557
Swap:            0          0          0

Still would be worth it for even 512 MB I think. Overall I'm very impressed by their performance. The only downside I can think of is slow ticket response times. One of their Chicago nodes also had problems booting once (only >5min issue I had besides the DDoS), but it was resolved in a few hours and they did send emails about the maintenance beforehand (the issue was that the maintenance lasted much longer than it was supposed to).

Here's network and disk benchmarks on the New York VPS.

Network

$ wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
--2013-04-30 00:35:29--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `100mb.test'
100%[============================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 20.1M/s   in 4.9s    
2013-04-30 00:35:34 (20.3 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

So the reason I said supposedly for the 100mbps port above is because this looks faster than 100mbps :)

Hard drive

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=512k count=16k conv=fdatasync
^C6414+0 records in
6414+0 records out
3362783232 bytes (3.4 GB) copied, 47.5334 s, 70.7 MB/s

Comments

• Always good to have another quality review!

As for your Cachefly speedtest, it is a 100Mbps network however most test files are useless binary which is able to be downloaded much faster than any productive file.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@fizzyjoe908 said: As for your Cachefly speedtest, it is a 100Mbps network however most test files are useless binary which is able to be downloaded much faster than any productive file.

Well, how can you transfer at 160 mbps on a 100 mbps port? Also, what do you mean by productive file? I mean routers don't care if they're transfering a randomly generated file or a useful one. Or do you just mean large files versus many small files? But that'd still be fast if you just transfer it over the same connection one after the other.

Anyway, I just uploaded and downloaded a video file with scp. Upload speed to the server is 23.3 MB/s, download speed was 23.3 MB/s as well as it turns out. (scp was run on client for both upload/download.)

• Ah, then it may very well be over what they advertised. In any case, Cachefly test downloads are usually faster than downloading, for example, a tarball.

• @fizzyjoe908 said: In any case, Cachefly test downloads are usually faster than downloading, for example, a tarball.

That's probably because for many major locales they've got CDN nodes within the same city or even datacenter.

• Endofreality? I wonder how long this discussion will be around.

@DStrout said: Endofreality? I wonder how long this discussion will be around.

:)

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

Didn't even notice that it was you who linked my locked topic in your sig. I knew someone had, but didn't realize it was you until I saw your reply. Of course, now I've derailed your thread and it'll end up being about the lack of transparency around here (again). But hey, what would LET be without the occasional explosion?

In a vain attempt to re-rail: nice performance on your server. I didn't keep my VPS after the month, but it was nice.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ihatetonyy is correct. Notice cache fly never downloads above port speed. It's just a quality cdn doing what it's supposed to do.

@jarland said: @ihatetonyy is correct. Notice cache fly never downloads above port speed. It's just a quality cdn doing what it's supposed to do.

Ok, that's what I thought. So the 100 mbps was probably something with their old infrastructure and they forgot to update it after they moved. Or maybe something else.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

EndOfReality!? Gasp! The name that must not be spoken!

• Oh, by the way, you should put the terminal outputs in an HTML pre tag, rather than between backticks.

Like this
    when you go
    on multiple lines

Rather than like this on multiple lines

• @perennate Actually, just realized -- could you put up a test file on your VPS and PM it to me, if you don't mind? I'm interested in their NY location but got turned off by 100Mbps; if it's Gbit or something of the kind I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

@ihatetonyy said: @perennate Actually, just realized -- could you put up a test file on your VPS and PM it to me, if you don't mind? I'm interested in their NY location but got turned off by 100Mbps; if it's Gbit or something of the kind I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Sent PM.

edited April 2013

@DStrout said: Oh, by the way, you should put the terminal outputs in an HTML pre tag, rather than between backticks.

Cool, I saw other reviews with that but couldn't figure out how to replicate it; updated OP.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Is EOR still alive? Fairly sure I saw something about it being deadpooled.

• random SEO backlink for LET

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

@Infinity said:
    Is EOR still alive? Fairly sure I saw something about it being deadpooled.

Very much alive based on the fact that they just posted a $5 2GB VPS offer on WHT today with the following specs:

2048MB Ram
    - 50GB RAID-10 HDD
    - 2TB Bandwidth
    - 100Mbps Port
    - 1 IPv4 Address
    Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York City
    Use promo code: WHT6 during checkout ***THIS IS A LIFETIME PROMOTION*** 

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1315712&highlight=eoreality.net

edited October 2013

Yep, I still have some of the $5/mo 2 GB VPS offers from quite a few months ago. It went up to $7/mo but looks like they have a new offer on WHT. There was very bad packet loss in all locations except Dallas for an extended period, not sure if they resolved it. I think I had four VPS with them and now only one due to the issues.

@Infinity you guys (meaning LET admin/moderators) banned them from LET/LEB for unspecified "legal reasons". @Jack leaked a conversation with them where they said they believed it was because they cancelled servers with ColoCrossing IIRC.